Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Buying a car from out of state....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 04:22 PM
sojglenn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying a car from out of state....

How do i purchase a car from out of state, and drive the car home? I don't think my home state will allow me to register a car i don't own. But i can't drive home a car without a registration. Has anybody done this?

Thanks.

-Steve
Old 06-23-2005, 04:52 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My experience(I'm in NC, seller in GA) -
you buy the car;
get the title signed off to your name;
register the car at home by presenting that title and get your state's license plate(you don't need to have the car with you);
go back to the car;
put your license plate on and drive home.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:56 PM
dhicks
Drifting

I did this recently....NC to MD....I flew down, paid the money, the dealer gave me a temporary tag and I drove home, reg'd the car...no issues. If you are buying from a private individual I suggest that you approach the MVA in Ma and ask them how you do it, can they provide a temporary tag???
Old 06-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

What's the big deal, isn't the car registered in it's home state? I'd just make sure you have a copy of the current registration and something to prove you now own the car. Register it when you get home. In California, at least, it isn't illegal to drive a car from out of state. Vacationers do it all the time.

Greg H.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:08 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most previous owners would not (should not) let you drive away on their plates. If you are buying from a private party (versus a dealer who may issue 20-day temp plates), then you'll have to do all your paperwork to register it to you and then get the car. I just bought a car from out of state and it did involve two trips.
By the way...... Mass does not recognize temp plates (even from other states) if you want to be technical. When I got my NH temp plates to go get my car that was in the fine print, so technically I was illegal when I drove through Mass. Mass has a law for everything.... hence why I jumped the border to NH years ago.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:08 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Greg,

as far as I understand, not every seller would want to let his car go with his license plates on. I think it's some kind of liability thing.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

In some states, such as California, the plates go with the car along with all paid up registration fees. Probably what Greg is thinking and applying it to a different situation.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Unless the law in your state says so, I don't really understand. In California, part of the sales process is a release/transfer of liability form that includes the buyer's personal information. Assuming you have a check in your possession or better yet, good funds, and a signed bill of sale along with the release of liability, I'd say the preponderence of evidence is that the car is no longer yours which would cover your liability. I just bought a car in Washington and they had basically the same release form that the seller and I filed electronically.

Van - what are you saying? In other states the plates belong to an individual and do not go with the car, i.e one could take the plates and put them on another car?

I might add that in California you do need to have the car in your possession in order to register it. So there must be a way of getting it here legally without California plates.

Greg H.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:53 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC in some states (Colorado?) the plates stay with the owner, not the car.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Racer944
Racer

FWIW, the plates stay with the owner in Ontario, Canada as well. That way we get to keep and reuse our personalized plates like mine..... L8APEX

Cheers;
Eric
Old 06-23-2005, 06:48 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

When I bought in Ohio and drove back to Illinois (finally registered in Indiana) I had to take my sales paperwork and visit the DMV/BMV to get a temporary plate to drive home.

I did the same with a Pennsylvania driver that purchased my 944T.

The amount of paperwork you need may vary. Think we needed the title, sales receipt and emissions forms for Ohio. Signed title and valid drivers license in Illinois.

Make sure to check out the BMV hours and make sure it is a licensing branch.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:48 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

You can sometimes get temp/in-transit tags in the state where you buy the car. Call there and see what is required. I did this in Florida in April with a private party sale. Only significant cost was that I had to pay the sales tax in FL but you pay at the rate of your home state and you don't have to pay that when you get back.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

When I picked up my car in Oklahoma, the dealer issued temp tags. No problems. Don't let an out-of-state car dissuade you from pulling the trigger.

Good luck!
Old 06-23-2005, 07:15 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought mine in Boston, drove home to NC on his plates. We both had the car insured and I had all the sales papeer work in case I got pulled. When I got home, sent the plates back, registered at home and went on my merry way.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Bought mine in Chicago... Flew in on Wed morning, PO picked me up, checked out the car at his house and off I went with the car to an independent for a PPI. I returned in the evening gave him a check, met up with another RL for a clear bra installation. Departed Chicago at 6:00a on Thursday and arrived on my drive way in Los Angeles on Friday around 5:05p. I'd do it all over again.

BTW, the PO signed off on the title left everything else blank, provided me with bill of sales and upon arriving in CA I went to AAA and 20 min later I was registered in CA...

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Buying a car from out of state....