Sponsored by:

Battery recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 04:02 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Battery recommendations

Help with choices for a new battery. I've searched the tech area and come up with info on 996s but not for 993s?

Suggestions: brands, sizes, models, special install instructions...I need it all. Porsche dealer offers the OEM or a Douglas battery either for @ $230: is this necessary?

993 Targa, normal driving, does sit for a week at a time and I use the Porsche trickle charger.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:11 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll save you the trouble of using the search function..optima redtop 75/35, $100 at costco
Old 06-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some people, including me have had problems with the Optima. Maybe my problem was related to not driving the car often enough to keep it charged up. My Optima discharged fast and even with a battery maintainer, I'd have to put it on all the time when not using car just to keep battery charged.

In any case do a search: type in optima and also odyssey and review posts.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

optima yellow deep cycle !
Old 06-10-2005, 04:48 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

always been an interstate fan...had 'em in all my P-cars
Old 06-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Every post has a different answer! Talk about confusing!

I recently put in an Optima Red Top on my Targa. I liked the idea of not being able to leak. My car rarely sits for more than 2 weeks and it starts fine. I do not turn on the alarm during this period so there is no (or little) draw on the battery.

I live in a hot climate which can be very tough on batteries.

I think any choice is good as long at it fits properly and is installed properly. Make sure they don't mix up the positive and negative... bad thing can (and have) happen(ed).
Old 06-10-2005, 05:00 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ron
Some people, including me have had problems with the Optima. Maybe my problem was related to not driving the car often enough to keep it charged up. My Optima discharged fast and even with a battery maintainer, I'd have to put it on all the time when not using car just to keep battery charged.

In any case do a search: type in optima and also odyssey and review posts.
I've had the same problem with my red top.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have the Optima yellow top, but have had the red top. See this post re: Optimas and installation:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/13430-optima-battery-installation.html

Ads and Patrick: I had the same problem with my car as it sits for weeks. In fact, my red top was replaced under warranty after two years given that its charge fell below the acceptable threshold. The chaps at Advanced Battery Systems said that the yellow top was better for my application. Patrick, depending upon how long you've had your red top, you may want to throw a battery maintainer on it or have its charge checked, as mine worked fine for two years - almost to the day - before failing.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevarino
I currently have the Optima yellow top, but have had the red top. See this post re: Optimas and installation:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13430

Ads and Patrick: I had the same problem with my car as it sits for weeks. In fact, my red top was replaced under warranty after two years given that its charge fell below the acceptable threshold. The chaps at Advanced Battery Systems said that the yellow top was better for my application. Patrick, depending upon how long you've had your red top, you may want to throw a battery maintainer on it or have its charge checked, as mine worked fine for two years - almost to the day - before failing.

Thanks for the advice. Batteries here usually last for 2-3 years. I'll make sure to keep the receipts!
Old 06-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

A gel battery like the Optima won't puke acid in your trunk. I think it's good piece of mind. If you have electricity available, get the Porsche battery maintainer. It just plugs into your cigarette lighter so it couldn't be easier.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Optima redtop 75/35 From Costco. No problems for a daily driver.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

friar,

After seeing battery acid damage in my trunk, I switched to dry cell batteries. My first Optima (orange top) lasted 4 years. I have the Red Top now and am happy with it. I drive the car about 50% of the week, do set the alarm when the car is not in use, and do not use a battery maintainer. No problems with low charge to date, but the yellow top may not be a bad idea given the experience of some Rennlisters.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:06 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

thanks all, exactly what I needed.

From all I've read then there is not special bracket required for the Optima? (I had read something like this on my search but maybe a 996 or a 968 applicaion)
Old 06-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

I've had similar problems with Optima Red Top. Although the last one was replaced under warranty, it was a real pain. Costco, where I bought from, wouldn't replace it and insisted that I contact Optima. Optima then required me to go to a dealer (in this case, Sears) who would then call them to verify that the battery was indeed dead. Even then, I couldn't just take a replacement from Sears but had to wait for one to be shipped out which arrived a few days later.

IMHO, when this one dies again (i'm using a Sears trickle charger now since I travel a lot), I'm getting a diehard. This way, I can get a replacement in minutes, no questions asked.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:30 PM
garychios
Pro

I run a Sears battery made for a 911. It died already, but was replaced in 30 minutes with a new one.

Quick Reply: Battery recommendations