Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruf R Conversion 4 sale. a STEAL

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 03:07 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks everybody for the advice and concern. I just spent 2 hours on the phone with the seller, and now also have the number for the previous owner that had the conversion work done. I left him a message... I hope he calls me back. I'll also call the Porsche dealer where the car was just inspected 2 weeks ago. I'm still nervous, but gaining confidence. I'm committed to getting this car unless some really bad news surfaces. Being an honest person myself, I tend to be a bit naive when dealing with others... I expect everyone to be as honest as I am. BTW, I'm not often disappointed.

I haven't yet decided if I will drive the car home (would have to be over the july 4th weekend), or if I'll have it shipped. I would have it sooner if I have it shipped. It will need new rear tires (295x30x19) if I drive it home, but I'm not a big Pirelli fan... I'll start browsing the tirerack site to see else I may be able to use. The fronts are 245x35x19, and are at about 50% wear.

The drivers door has the infamous "click" problem... is there some other solution other than disassembly, weld and repaint?

Please wish me luck.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:18 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
The drivers door has the infamous "click" problem... is there some other solution other than disassembly, weld and repaint?

Please wish me luck.
Please see a DIY write-up some moron did to help the door strap clicking problem. It may help this car, who knows. Here is the link
Old 06-12-2005, 03:43 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Chris,

Thanks for the link. Perfect. Oh... I see you're not too far... Yorba Linda. How would like to drive the Ruf, and get taken out for lunch? ... if you get my drift?
Old 06-12-2005, 03:49 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GOOD LUCK STEVE!

Old 06-12-2005, 05:00 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Chris,

Thanks for the link. Perfect. Oh... I see you're not too far... Yorba Linda. How would like to drive the Ruf, and get taken out for lunch? ... if you get my drift?
Absolutely, meet you at:

3500 75th Street West
Rosamond, CA 93560

Your -on-
Old 06-12-2005, 05:09 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Chris,

Very funny. For those that don't know SoCal... Chris has accepted my invitation to let him drive my car... but not in Yorba Linda... no sir. That address is Willow Springs Raceway. You're a dog. Funny, but still...
Old 06-12-2005, 06:24 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey Steve, if you decide to drive the car, I will be heading from Houston out to California on my way to Vancouver with my cabrio the weekend of 8th or 9th of July! Houston is on the way from Alabama, we can hook up and drive together! That would be pretty cool!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:47 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Last post on this topic:

First, Jean, thanks.

Second - I received and email from the seller, who did not appreicate my last post. So, let me say that questioning his acquisition price in this thread was not the nicest thing to do, and I regret it. Not interested in bad blood over a car.

Steve, have great fun with it. Seller, sorry about that. The rest of you in CA, enjoy it, too!

Last edited by stedge; 06-13-2005 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:51 AM
AdamT
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Steve,

Conrad came to our house a couple of weeks after he converted the car you have just bought, and i remember him telling me about the conversion to this car in Alabama, and how impressed he was by the way the previous owner kept the car.

He said that the inside of the engine was superb. The original owner kept to a really strict warm upü procedure, and really loved the car.

I hope this has helped, there is no doubt as to the cars ruf conversion authenticity, as it is Conrad in the pics.

Welcome to the club too!

all the best
adam
Old 06-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Steve - good luck with the car and I hope it all works out well. It's only natural to worry about large purchases but it looks like you are getting a great deal and the car looks great in the photos. We never seem to see stuff this cheap over here so I'm jealous (in a good way).

Cheers,

David
Old 06-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Congrats Steve.

Just remember that I was the FIRST one in this thread to suggest you buy it (not that you hadn't thought of it already!) so I wanna free ride next time I'm in SoCal. A good blast thru the Santa Monica mountains would do it.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:30 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Rezal,

You can have that ride DESPITE that fact that you are mainly responsible for this act of lunacy. I finally have Waldo just perfect, damn it.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:03 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

of course - isn't that the way it always works?
Old 06-13-2005, 07:03 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

have a few interesting data points to share:
1). I spoke to the Porsche service tech at the local Birmingham (they say "ham") Porsche/Audi dealership. He just did a major service and inspected the car. He said it was a great car with no issues.
2). One of our local Rennlisters (he can identify himself if he chooses) had purchased a 97TT from this same seller. He said the transaction was fine, and the car was just as described.

I'm starting to feel really good about this. Now I have to get serious about selling Waldo. <sniff>

BTW, the autobahntech website says the car has 19" *magnesium* Ruf wheels. I looked through the Ruf catalog, and all I see are aluminum wheels. Are magnesium wheels available? How can you tell the difference (besides weighing them)? Isn't magnesium a bit less robust for a street-driven car?
Old 06-13-2005, 07:15 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, sounds very positive. If you go to the Weissach website, you will see the magnesium wheels. Not sure how to tell the difference though. I've got 19" RUF wheels as well. The ride is a bit firmer but it's not bad at all.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Ruf R Conversion 4 sale. a STEAL