993 Forum 1995-1998

GREAT DEAL on Brake Pads for 993!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 01:53 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GREAT DEAL on Brake Pads for 993!

I was looking for some front brake pads for my car and came across a great deal on pads at Tirerack.com - Front 993 pads (EBC Green Stuff) for $25 axle! I've heard the Greenstuff are pretty good street pads, low dust, no squeak...

Here's a link: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...rack&x=80&y=13

Even with shipping it's just $36, still damn cheap, even for everyday street-pads.

PS my track pad of choice is currently Hawk blue, I'm very happy with them. Also, stay away from any of those econo pads like Metalmaster, they are crap - I tried them and they dusted badly, not very good bite, and were barely up to the task of handling my street driving. Hopefully these Greenstuff are as good as the OEM Textars, which are great street pads.

Last edited by pcar964; 09-08-2005 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:08 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

From personal experience (paraphrasing Pulp Fiction) They're pretty ffing far from good.

I've heard of and experience pretty bad things with EBC Green. Hawk HPS are much better dual purpose pads.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:14 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nile13
From personal experience (paraphrasing Pulp Fiction) They're pretty ffing far from good.

I've heard of and experience pretty bad things with EBC Green. Hawk HPS are much better dual purpose pads.
Think you misunderstood - these aren't for dual purpose, just for street pads. I don't think an acceptable "dual purpose" pad exists, so I just swap them out for every event. Hawk blues are my current choice, and can't complain they're very good!

Could you elaborate on your experience with the Greenstuff, are they acceptable for street use in your opinion?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2005, 03:16 AM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the link Greg....

For my C4S, Tirerack is coming up with "Satisfied Pro Perform OEM Pads (Material: OEM Compound)".

Does anyone have any experience with these pads?

Does the manufactor of the pad make a difference if the compound is OEM? If so, what brands you guys go with for a C4S?
Old 06-06-2005, 04:25 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For street use, the OEM Textar pads work very well, but with the recent price increase in OEM parts, I looked for another option for pads. I use PBR/Axxis Ultimates and they work every bit as well (and even a bit better) as the OEM pads with a price of just under $80 a set, front and rear.

Only downside is that they seem to dust just a bit more than the OEM pads, but the good thing is the dust is not corrosive as some other brake pads are. Wheels clean up easily.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:25 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

Thats a good price. Thanks for the info. That wouldnt apply to big reds - would it? I just paid 140 for textar front pads only for my big reds. Thankfully - I did the replacement myself to save some cash.

PS: One note - never put your wheel under the car while doing a brake pad replacement. I know people do it for an extra measure of safety while the car is on a jack stand - but when I did it - one of the old brake pads fell out of the caliper and hit my wheel and scratched it!! Cant win sometimes...
Old 06-06-2005, 12:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

www.sunsetimports.com had really great prices on the OEM Textars about 9 mos ago (I think around $40/axle), not sure if they still do...
Old 06-06-2005, 02:07 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcar964
Think you misunderstood - these aren't for dual purpose, just for street pads. I don't think an acceptable "dual purpose" pad exists, so I just swap them out for every event. Hawk blues are my current choice, and can't complain they're very good!

Could you elaborate on your experience with the Greenstuff, are they acceptable for street use in your opinion?

Thanks!
To me, dual purpose is street/autocross. Track is a different story.
I do not think EBC Green are good street pads. They tend to crumble, among other things. They do not seem to have stopping power or longevity of Hawk HPS, my current dual purpose pad, or even regular street Hawk.
And, oh, they dust pretty significantly, if that's an issue for you.

I don't like them. I would chose PBR Ultimates for the street today.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:18 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nile13
To me, dual purpose is street/autocross. Track is a different story.
I do not think EBC Green are good street pads. They tend to crumble, among other things. They do not seem to have stopping power or longevity of Hawk HPS, my current dual purpose pad, or even regular street Hawk.
And, oh, they dust pretty significantly, if that's an issue for you.

I don't like them. I would chose PBR Ultimates for the street today.
Sorry to hear that! Well, I'll post my impressions after I install them, hopefully they work somewhat decently. For total cost of $36, not a huge mistake.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:04 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
www.sunsetimports.com had really great prices on the OEM Textars about 9 mos ago (I think around $40/axle), not sure if they still do...
Grant,

When I was searching for pads after that sale (which I did happen to ****** a set), Sunset told me the low price was something that Porsche was very unlikely to ever offer again, but then who knows. It was then that I was quoted a 135-150 price for those same OEM textar pads from them. That is when I started searching for a good alternate for the OEM pad.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:19 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

How do the PBR Ultimates compare/contrast with the Metal Masters? I've always liked the latter and have used them on my 964 and my old SC. No squeal, negligible dusting and rotor friendly.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:29 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dfarrow
How do the PBR Ultimates compare/contrast with the Metal Masters? I've always liked the latter and have used them on my 964 and my old SC. No squeal, negligible dusting and rotor friendly.
From what I can gather, PBR offers three different levels of performance pads:

Deluxe, Ultimate, MetalMaster

The MetalMaster are the best, then Ultimate, then Deluxe. As far as the relative difference between the three, maybe someone else can give more details? I have used the MetalMasters on my 993 for the street, they were not as good as the OEM Textars. Much cheaper, though. For street pads, I guess it really doesn't matter, as long as they're quiet and have good bite when cold.

Last edited by pcar964; 09-08-2005 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:55 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

the order is

Deluxe, MetalMaster, Ultimate

http://www.stoptech.com/axxis_pads/#ultimate
Old 06-06-2005, 06:37 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've used all three PBR pads.

Deluxe is a decent organic pad for the street. Works fine in low temps, bites OK, doesn't fade much, dusts white (actually made of walnut shells, no joke), so you don't see dust on the wheels.

MetalMaster is a bit more aggressive, metallic pad. The one knock on them is they need one-two pushes of a pedal on a cold morning to come up to operating temperatures. I've had both on a street E30, they are both OK.

Ultimates, which I used on a friend's Miata seem to be better than both. I believe they are ceramic pads. Not much dusting, work well cold. Cost is pretty low.

I currently have new Textars on 993, Mintex Red Box on the E32 and HPS on autocross Miata.

I also have brand new OEM 993 Jurids that I'll let go cheap if anyone needs them.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:56 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

OK, I installed the pads yesterday and have driven about 50 miles with them... yes, the EBC Greenstuff are crap. They squeal like crazy for a street pad, they have average to below average bite when cold, and their feel is what I would call "soft." I don't like them at all, the POS MetalMasters I had on there were better!

They're slightly better than two thin blocks of wood as pads. I guess the old addage applies, you get what you pay for...

Bottom line - don't buy EBC Greenstuff!

Quick Reply: GREAT DEAL on Brake Pads for 993!