Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gert's M030s & HD Bilsteins installed....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Gert's M030s & HD Bilsteins installed....

Just had Gert's kit of M030s, HD Bilsteins and sways installed on my C4S. The car handles great and the car feels 'more planted' than before. Ride is firm, but not harsh... better than stock. The car sets terrific, but there seems to be a "rhythmic clunking" when I turn full left or full right. Perhaps the front CV joints?? This did not happen before the drop. Any ideas... concerns....?

Also, I noticed that the suspension is more noisy than the stocker underpinnings. I drove it around for about 70 miles, returned to the shop and we put it back on the lift. Didn't see anything that would cause this to happen. The noise seemed to be most noticeable when going slowly (30-40 mph) over elevations ... rather than a hole/depression. Seems to be a bit better now that I have 300 miles on the new set up.... or perhaps I'm getting used to it.

I tho't that perhaps the springs were not completely in the perches ... but they looked so on inspection.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:50 AM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I have the same set up, on the same car.
No funny noises being immited. If these sounds
continue perhaps further inspection would be in
order. Maybe something was left loose. Check your
sway bars and make sure they are not hitting the
lower control arm. If your car is really low, adjustable
drop links may be required. Did you get an alignment/
corner balance done?
Old 05-30-2005, 11:36 AM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine had a similar noise, turned out something was left loose. My installer found the problem, no more noise...it's a great suspension setup.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Steve...

Yes, it was corner balanced and aligned. Shop had a difficult time, tho... took quite a while. They set it up according to Gert's numbers and the car was too high and height was different side to side/front to back. They then dropped it another~1/2 inch and it looks good, but there is quite a difference front/rear and left/right for the number of threads showing on the HDs.

Ride height at inner fenders is as follows:
RFt 25.25 " LFt 25.25"
RR 25.00" LR 24.75"

The shop put the 993 back up on the lift and checked everything. All seemed tight and there were no marks indicating any rubbing. Shop owner tho't it may be the front CV joints...?? I'm not much of a wrench so I don't have a clue.

So, there are essentially 2 unusual noises. One on approaching an elevation at low speed.... and another when I turn the wheel hard right/left. The last is rhythmic ... the other is just a 'clunk'. ??
Old 05-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bagger -

Congratulations! Looking to do the same myself. Any pics?

Scott
Old 05-30-2005, 12:22 PM
DJD
Instructor

I have the exact same set up on my C2S and no noises that you describe. My front is 25 3/4" and the rear is 26" to the inner fenders. The shop that set up my suspension also put in about 1 degree of negative camber on the front. The tech also told me my car was too low in the rear and made it closer to even front to rear with the rear just 1/4" higher than the front
Old 05-30-2005, 05:11 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe that your ride height is lower than it should be and pretty much at the RS height. Without the lowering collars for the HD's its simply too low. What is happening is that when the susspension decompress the spring comes loose and then upon compression re seats on the hat so it makes noise. I saw this on a similar install with the HD's and the Euro M030's. When the car was set to the appropriate ride height for the combo the problem/noise went away.
For me get the lowering collars ( i think Hergeheimer sells them?) and do it properly. As you are your shocks are also compressed so you are loosing a bit on compliance. For me its not a matter of looking pretty , just a matter of the suspension working correctly. If your heart is set on RS height, I'm afraid you have to go to a full coilover like the H&R or the PSS-9.

Trending Topics

Old 05-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Danny is correct on this one. You need more adjustability then yours offer.... PSS9 time for youse!
Old 05-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

I didn't know one could go "too low". I'll see it I can toss in a photo of the dunn deal.

Old 05-30-2005, 07:32 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
I didn't know one could go "too low". I'll see it I can toss in a photo of the dunn deal.
Yes you can. The shock height adjustment is longer than the EUro M030 spring.
A simple test for you to see is to put your car on the lift and see if the spring in sitting loose with the shock fully extended. If this is so then the ride height adjustor ( the black collar) should be wound up to the point that the spring is sitting correctly on the top and its not compressed. That is the max lower ride height. Like I said a set of the lowering collars from Hergeheimer should do the trick.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Thanx, Danny and Jean-Pierre... and the rest... with helping me with this problem.

I am not ready for the PSS9s (altho my shop owner said they would have been much easier to install ... and half the time to do so ??). I want to make this work now that I have substantial coin invested. I'll look into the other bits that will help.

Old 05-30-2005, 07:58 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

damn bagger...your car looks great...
Old 05-30-2005, 08:04 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

that's not right you guys with silver cars never have to wash them. I love my black on black C4, but it is a pain to keep clean. Nice Car, cheers...
Old 05-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

HK......

You are correct, m'friend.... I have had BLACK vehicles before. I spent waaaaaaaaay too much time cleaning and polishing. Silver cars (altho they may not look as terrific clean as a BLACK cars...) are just so much less maintenance cleaning-wise.

Mr. Sullivan.... thanx for the compliment. Your's looks great as well.

Just hope I can get the dang suspension sorted out.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Bagger -

Your car looks awesome -- cannot wait to lower mine!

Scott

Quick Reply: Gert's M030s & HD Bilsteins installed....