Sponsored by:

Prestige Porsche PPI - BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 10:01 AM
User 123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prestige Porsche PPI - BEWARE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well...after looking for months and months and months, I finally find the perfect 911 for me!!!

After the owner and I agree on the price, I asked him to take the car to Prestige Porsche in Nanuet, NY for a PPI.

Now the owner tells me, that Prestige Porsche "drills into his head" that he is "giving this museum quality car away at the agreed to price."
So the current owner is now backing away from our agreement.

BEWARE OF PRESTIGE PORSCHE

THEY RUINED THIS DEAL - in my oninion!!!

Doug Hudson
Old 05-28-2005, 10:43 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

If this is true . . . they suck...
Old 05-28-2005, 12:15 PM
98carrera4S
Advanced

Assuming you're willing to share the info, what made this car "museum quality" (mileage, condition, specs, etc.), and what was the negotiated price? Regardless of whether you were getting an incredible deal, the dealer was completely wrong to convey their opinions on the price - it's none of their business.

I'm sure it's hard to tell, but was this a case of a single mechanic or saleman expressing a personal view (whether informed or not), or do you think the dealership had more sinister motives (ruining your deal so they could buy and re-sell the car at a higher price). The latter seems unlikely unless you were getting the car for $7000 to $10,000+ under retail.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:16 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did Prestige charge you for the PPI, or the current owner? If you were paying for the PPI, then they were definitely wrong to comment, if the current owner was paying for it, then it is completely justified. Afterall, they are working for the guy paying the tab.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:09 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought in previous threads other places were recommended for the PPI. Seems that purchaser may have backed away and wanted higher price. I like think a shop is not going to set a selling price, but know it is difficult when doing remotely. Need to think this work out this way for a reason and better 993 will become available.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

footUNDER .... Give us more details on the car and price. The dealer was still wrong, but curious minds want to know. We are family after all.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 532 Posts

Could it be that the seller simply changed his mind or was afraid of what might have been found at the PPI (and used the Presige Porsche as an excuse)? Did he try to renegotiate the price?

When I did the PPI on my car, I was the only one talking to the dealer. I made the appointment and I paid for all the work. That way it was clear who the dealer was working for.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand. Are you saying no one should ever bring thier car to this dealer because of a conversation that took place?
Mechanic-So what are we doing today?
customer(seller)- need a pre purchase inspection, I'm selliing the car.
mechanic-Oh man, you selling this beauty? How much are you selling it for?
customer (seller) xxxx$$
mechanic- Dude thats all!...oh man your car is just too nice.

know what if the seller was at pizza hut, and the pizza hut counter clerk said " it that your car?' why, yes it is. pizza hut clerk- oh man that car is sweet!!...seller- thank you, I'ts going to a new home next week. pizzer hut clerk- huh? your selling that car dude..its way to nice, you should keep it forever!.......

would you be warning us never to go to pizza hut?
Old 05-28-2005, 04:56 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Fill:

Are you a lawyer or just play one on TV? How did you take your logic regarding a mechanic at the porsche dealer to the guy working at Pizza Hut? I can definitly understand if first wish to hear all the facts before making anyone aware of this dealer did or did not.

I bought my C4 from a guy at a Pizza Hut. He said it had a salvaged title and at least four accidents under its belt. Gosh....
Old 05-28-2005, 05:15 PM
User 123
Instructor

1988 911 Coupe - 36,000 miles - concours condition - full documentation and window sticker
advertised for $27,500 and agreed price of $27,000. Prestige told him it was worth $35K-$40K

I referred this guy to Prestige to get the PPI done. Prestige told me to pay them after the work was completed. I never received a call from Prestige when the work was complete and they then let the guy pay the bill before he left and gave him all the details.

I do not believe the seller changed his mind until he talked with Prestige. Here are his quotes from the email "The admiration the car received from everyone at the dealership even amazed me. They said that a car of museum quality like this is worth atleast 35k+ possibly even 40k."

In my opinion, Prestige did not act in a professional manner is conducting a PPI that I REQUESTED and the seller has not acted like a gentleman by breaking "the honor system."

Now time to define "honor system"......when the seller and I agreed to the terms of the sale and where/when to have the PPI done....I offered to send him a deposit. He said that was not necessary as he believed in "the honor system" and looked forward to meeting me when I picked up the car.

Lessons learned...
1. Get it in writing
2. Send a deposit
3. Prepay for PPI and have Dealership sign and fax back instructions
4. Do not use Prestige Porsche in Nanuet for PPI work
5. Doubt Paul Macz's "honor system"....he is or was the seller
Old 05-28-2005, 05:17 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Assuming that the PPI was paid by the seller, then I think the "bad ethics award" goes to the seller who changed his mind after a handshake deal. If you paid for the PPI, then I'd give that award to the mechanic who screwed up the deal for you. Either way, it sucks. Sorry.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:18 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds as though a -nice- conversation is in order with this loose-lipped dealer. Comments like this are nice to hear, for both parties until they cloud a car sale.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:22 PM
User 123
Instructor

Agreed that the seller <Paul Macz> gets the bad ethic award.

I will definitely talk with the dealer!!! Dont' know how nice I will be.

The whole situation is just plain wrong.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:37 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Actually, $27000 for an 88 911 with 36k, even in concours condition, is a pretty fair price in my book. It might pull low 30s if it had 10k miles, but over 30k miles ... I don't think so. Chances are, it needs the needle bearing update on the clutch anyway (if it has a heavy pedal) and the valve guides are issues on those cars. I've owned a couple of low mileage 88 Carreras myself. He'll probably sit on it for a long time and wish he'd consummated the deal with you.

Vic
95 C4
Old 05-28-2005, 05:52 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1st, Fill - maybe i am too sensitive, but on this and other threads you just seem so damn cynical...like you are annoyed with rennlister posts... you dont have to respond, you know...

2nd, I agree that the one at fault here is really the seller...not in a legal sense, but in an "honor" sense. He agreed to sell you the car at an agreed price. Without overhearing the conversation with the dealer, we dont know exactly what was said...may have been a pretty innocent comment from the dealer...who knows.

Quick Reply: Prestige Porsche PPI - BEWARE