Sponsored by:

2 weeks with RS LFW and clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 03:55 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2 weeks with RS LFW and clutch

Two weeks ago I had the RS LFW and clutch package fitted (clutch was on way out and dual mass was clunking)........Well the smile is just starting to fade a little but every time I press the "loud" pedal in 1st, 2nd or third gears it returns.. ..I love this package.. ..I have had no issues with stalling other than getting used to the bite point on the new clutch....need slightly more revs at launch, gear changes are smoother than before and overall the general performance is improved dramatically....recommend this to everybody who is dithering as to fit or not.....
Old 05-18-2005, 04:15 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I had this done, but have not had a chance to enjoy her......it is still at the shop... This is the 5th week now...But, I guess it will like getting a new car.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:28 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you have any idle problems in the beginning? Thanks...
Old 05-18-2005, 04:35 PM
dhicks
Drifting

No none at all, from when I picked up the car the only problem was me getting used to the bite point and the heavier clutch pedal. Other than that a great mod.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:24 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
... the only problem was me getting used to the bite point and the heavier clutch pedal.
My clutch pedal is considerable lighter w/the LWF - RS clutch. Also no problems w/idle or drivability.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:34 PM
norcal911
Advanced

I'll second David's remarks; however, changing gears from 1st to 2nd still leaves me wanting. Does anyone know if a chip upgrade coupled with the LWF will increase the throtle response? I am sure re-gearing or changing the rack and pinion will make the biggest difference, but are there any other toughts.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2005, 10:48 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

You should talk to Phil-RS993. He did the regearing on the tranny and say the difference is hugh. I think this would do more than the 'chip'.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by norcal911
I'll second David's remarks; however, changing gears from 1st to 2nd still leaves me wanting. Does anyone know if a chip upgrade coupled with the LWF will increase the throtle response? I am sure re-gearing or changing the rack and pinion will make the biggest difference, but are there any other toughts.
Hi:

Regearing makes the car pull harder in each gear and at each shift.

A good chip increases the throttle response and mid-range torque.

All of these things do compliment the LWF kit,....
Old 05-19-2005, 12:15 AM
norcal911
Advanced

Steve,

You have a PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:12 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
You should talk to Phil-RS993. He did the regearing on the tranny and say the difference is hugh. I think this would do more than the 'chip'.
Having tried out lots of different mods on this and my previous 993 (chip, 3.8L upgrade, LWF, regearing, etc.), the one single mod that brought the biggest smile to my face was regearing.

Regearing will not necessarily make much of a difference on 0-60 acceleration times, but for everyday driving or twisty road driving where lots of shifting is needed, it sure does. When you accelerate, you rev up to the max, shift and stay in the power band, so not much difference there. The rerearing makes the car feel lots more torquey, when you suddenly need power in a certain gear you happe to be crusing along in.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:02 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 993RS
Having tried out lots of different mods on this and my previous 993 (chip, 3.8L upgrade, LWF, regearing, etc.), the one single mod that brought the biggest smile to my face was regearing.

Regearing will not necessarily make much of a difference on 0-60 acceleration times, but for everyday driving or twisty road driving where lots of shifting is needed, it sure does. When you accelerate, you rev up to the max, shift and stay in the power band, so not much difference there. The rerearing makes the car feel lots more torquey, when you suddenly need power in a certain gear you happe to be crusing along in.
Well I think a supercharger should be calling out to you next
Old 05-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much does a regearing job run, if I were to just drop the tranny off at the shop and pick it up when done?
Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick,
Everyone has said that the best bang for your buck is to find a good g50/21. If you just drop yours off at the shop you will have lots of decisions to make and the price will skyrocket.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Just another POV on this,......

I would be remiss in my responsibilities if I didn't mention the risks in buying a used transmission and installing that as-is. Gearboxes are THE single most abused parts of any car and one should simply consider this with their "eyes wide open".

Personally, I would not consider installing another used tranny without opening it up and seeing what you have. Based on my experiences, its not an acceptable risk although I know some folks who have gotten lucky.

John is right though,.....you'll have some decisions to make about what upgrades to do that make these transmissions tougher and more durable. The costs will be commensurate with the overall results,.......
Old 05-19-2005, 04:06 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
How much does a regearing job run, if I were to just drop the tranny off at the shop and pick it up when done?
Rick,
One of the "known" tranny experts is down the road from me -Brian Copans. i have not dealt with him yet but I know that Greg Fishman had his tranny built by him and has very positive things to say about the quality of his work.

Copan's # 513 779 3302

Quick Reply: 2 weeks with RS LFW and clutch