Sponsored by:

OT - First Road Trip - Chicago to Montreal and back

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default OT - First Road Trip - Chicago to Montreal and back

My family and I are planning on taking “Brunhilde” on her first road trip next week driving from Chicago to Montreal. It looks like a scenic 900 miles through Michigan, to Toronto and finally Montreal.

If any Rennlisters have recommendations of places to eat along the way or “must see” stops I’d love to hear about them.

I’ll try and post some pictures “from the road” if the Internet gods are with me.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only item I can suggest you try is a horse drawn carriage ride around the old part of the city in Montreal.

We did that last year on a Saturday evening around 10:00pm - city was hopping and just getting going. It was about 1 1/2 hr tour and totally enjoyable.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:53 PM
cabfan1968
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

hi blaine, i live in montreal so if you want any specific info (restaurants, hotels, clubs,etc) just PM or e-mail me, i'd be happy to help you out, btw i'm receiving my arctic/black C2S next week, love to compare cars if i can stop driving it long enough...glenn
Old 05-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Evan, will do. My daughter is a big horse fan, and the perfect size for the back seat in the 993.

Glenn - thanks! Really, we may be moving there and, well, I know very little about the city other then people seem to love it! An arctic C2S - NICE! ....check your PM, we should go for a drive.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:14 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a "hole in the wall" eatery on highway 20, 1/2 mile west of Ste Anne de Bellevue.

Called "Smoked Meat Pete's"... can't miss it.. just by a Dairy Queen on the right side of the road. I make a pilgrimage there when I visit family and friends!

Montreal is a city best seen on foot... plan many miles of walking, stops at sidewalk cafes for beer or coffee. "Old Montreal" district is a treat... well amongst NA cities. Cant be compared to Paris, Amsterdam or Lisbon...

Good trip
Old 05-13-2005, 09:28 AM
cabfan1968
Advanced

jp, oui, mais nous avons les plus belles femmes...
Old 05-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Thanks Monique - I've put it on my TomTom map. Everybody tells me that I must try the smoked meat and apparently there are great bagels.

Glenn - all I can say is that I will be using Google's translation utility a lot So the most beautiful women?? Every city has its bragging rights!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:06 AM
rainmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever been to Mt. Tremblant? It's about an hour and a half from Montreal. If you've got some time to kill, it might be a nice trip. I go snowboarding there at least once a year.
Out of curiosity, do you just have one kid coming on the trip? How old? Reason I ask is that I've had my wife and both kids in my cab from time to time. We all fit, but I sure wouldn't drive 900 miles like that. Even with the booster behind me (Which takes up much less room then the 1 yr. old's seat,) I still have to move my seat farther forward than I would like. My wife, with my 1 yr. old behind her, has to move the seat all the way up. Good thing she's not tall.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello Blaine,

Another thought... you might look into the Chateau Vaudreuil for accommodations. On the shores of Lake of Two Mountains, it is beautiful and peaceful. Certain they could org a covered parking for the P. The price diff vs a downtown hotel might pay for either a rental car from hotel to downtown or for taxi to trains and return. (Like most cities, parking is the pits)
Just a thought.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:31 AM
cabfan1968
Advanced

speaking of mt.tremblant there just happens to be a race weekend event going on the very weekend that you are coming, apparently there will be plenty of p-cars there, and the venue is just incredible, and btw we absolutly have the most beautiful women (at least north of brazil), just wait and see......glenn
Old 05-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hell cabfan... give it up! He's coming with his family

Thought of a quaint place. The Willow Inn: an inn located in Hudson, it is on the lakeshore (ideal road for a Porker). Nice place for dinner either in the pub or the dining room. The sushi is great. Place a call.

http://www.iconvillage.com/HudsonQC.html#hotel
Old 05-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Blaine 8 Rennsport PCA is holding a DE at Le Circuit Mont Tremblant on May 23-24-25. North East Region PCA will be there on May 26 and 27. The track is stunning and nestled in the middle of a world class 4 season resort with lots of things for kids and adults to do. You might like to visit. If so, let me know and I will provide directions to the pit entrance and arrange for admission.

Jean Pierre - did you live in the west part of Montreal, or have friends there? My wife and I held were married at Le Chateau Vaudreuil!

Best,
Old 05-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Ray - if we have time I'd love to go check it out. I've been to the web site and it looks like an incredible track.

For the 12+ hour trip - my daughter is 8 and loves "the bucket". She went with me on all the test drives and is my #1 co-pilot. My wife, well considering how hard she works, this will be the longest continuos stretch of time she has been able to share with her family in a loooooong time. Me, well that goes unsaid!

Thanks for the additional restaurant tip too! We all like to learn about new places through the local food and restaurants.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello Bob,

I was BORN in Vaudreuil. Belonged to the Hudson Yacht club as a kid... some time ago.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Ahh that explains the Willows! I'm a member of Royal St Lawrence and live in Beaconsfield. You moved to Europe so you could get those better cars I bet
Back to regulary scheduled program ..

Quick Reply: OT - First Road Trip - Chicago to Montreal and back