Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

DIY'ers, if you've changed out your own lifters, I'd like to hear from you. problems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 10:37 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY'ers, if you've changed out your own lifters, I'd like to hear from you. problems!

So I changed my exhaust lifters out today on one side. Everything went great....from wheel off to lifters out..45 minutes. New ones came in overnight as planned, put them in, bolted everything back up....fired her up

CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK

worse than the ones that came out. Spoke to Steve W today and yesterday for quite a while and we have gone over some things to try. But, I'd like to hear from you guys/gals about problems if any you may have had. I don't know if the valves have ever been done, but Steve said he's never had to use the oversized lifters.....so I can't imagine what may have gone wrong. Everything went together so nicely.....can only wonder what went wrong.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:43 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Chris!

First - are you SURE they are only the exhaust lifters that are bad??? When I did mine - I was only going to do the exhaust, but found that two of the intakes were gone as well..???

Second - I primed mine by leaving them immersed in oil overnight? I'm not sure that has anything to do with anything - but, I'll offer it up as a suggestion? By the way - here was my thread...
https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-993-1995-1998/197318-lifter-repair-101-a.html

I'd be interested to reading the other replies as well..!

John
Old 05-11-2005, 10:50 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Jon, not sure on the others but the noise became 10 fold louder after the new lifters, so something is wrong with the replacement, either operator error or.......?
I hope others post too.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:56 PM
John D.
Banned

The only other things I can think of...

1) When you took out the old lifters, are you certain you got out all the old plastic washer? The new ones should have "snapped" into place..? (And a quick edit here.. If the new "lifter" didn't seat at full depth - it will hold the valve too close to the piston - and would probably clack, too. Not a good "clack" either! )

2) OK - and this is streching... Are you certain your rocker shaft(s) are oriented correctly - and that you torqued them into place with the exhaust CAM not trying to engage the rocker?

Just a couple of other thoughts..!

John
Old 05-11-2005, 11:01 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Might take a few seconds for them to pump-up. How long did you run the engine post replacement? I know ones initial reaction is to shut it down once noises like this are heard..
Old 05-11-2005, 11:09 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Chris....agood 5 minutes enough to have plenty of pressure at the gauge. Lightly reved it to see a change....nothing.

John, cant put the rockers or the pivot shaft in wrong, they only go one way. Yes got all the crap from the old out....kinda by accident, put a pick in the first one and voila....o-ring chunks.

Back out pulling it apart again between post.....I will get this! Have noticed the lifter closest to the exhaust is extremely spongy, I can compress it against the valve stem end with no effort, and it was the loudest location while running today....? Whats that about?

Keep it coming guys! Thanks
Old 05-11-2005, 11:20 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by 993inNC
....I can compress it against the valve stem end with no effort, and it was the loudest location while running today....? Whats that about?...
Sounds like a bad seal with the new O-ring, maybe??

OK - I'm gonna start a lottery with guessed right answers - so PLEASE keep us informed!!!

Best to you!!

John D.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:34 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Keep us informed. I have heard that priming the lifters is really important as John D. indicated. If you are in contact with Steve W., then you are in very good hands!

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:52 PM
garychios
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I am a lifter expert, but only on Japanses cars. If the 993 has hydraulic lifter, you need to prime them by submerging them in oil and moving the internals of the lifter till they fill. If not, your lifters are not opened up correctly and will sound nasty. If you did anything else wrong, then you probably damaged all your valves.

Is a 993 motor a clearance motor?
Old 05-12-2005, 03:23 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Well Gary, I to am becoming a lifter expert! It only took tearing things apart a few times to figure it out. I just got through having done exactly what you suggested (wished I had seen your post earlier!). I filled the backside of the rocker end of the lifter up, filled the rocker up after that, summerged the pivot shaft in oil and then quickly bolted the assembly back before it completely drained. Still took a good 5 minutes before they quieted down but now its purring like a kitten. I'm going to let 'er cool off, go get some 15w50, do an oil change and fire it up again....see what happens.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:00 PM
garychios
Pro

IM glad my tip helped.

Change the oil and drive it on some thick oil to let everything settle. The drain it again and change the filters. Then do regular changes going forward. I only suggest a oil change sooner because any kind of flashing and initial contact metal to metal etc is probably lurking in the oil. Most likely caught by the filter, but you will sleep better.

Again, bad lifter tick is annoying and actual causes power loss too. The knock sensors pick it up and think the tapping is knock and retard timing. Let me know if your baby feels faster.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:46 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Gary, if only I could give you credit. What I meant was I had done what you suggested before I saw your post.....which I had thought of it (or read your post) earlier. Steve W. doesn't really believe it does all that much. By the time you get to starting the car, the oil has backed out....and is under no pressure anyway....so.
But it idles better and is quiet, what more can I ask for!

Thanks all
Old 05-12-2005, 10:38 PM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

How timely, got one gettin a little noisy.

John D.- The pics are worth a thousand words, thanks.

I will definately soak the new lifters in oil before
assembly.

Chris - Thanks for the timely thread. Will be at the
top of the list for next DIY.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:35 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Steve, having done this a few times during this OTJ training!, let me just assure you that this is not a difficult job in and of its self. Do take your time, but know that you won't screw anything up. It can all only go together one way.....no questions, no choice. If you haven't been under there before, take alot of time and patience getting the V.covers off. The bolt heads are soft and will strip quickly if corroded.
Looking back, I probably had everything correct the first couple of attempts, but the excessive clacking noise scared the hell out of this aircooled newbie!

A special public thank you to Steve W. He spent more time on the phone with me while on his dime over the last 2 days. He verified concerns for me as well as just allowing me to learn on my own!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:04 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"A special public thank you to Steve W. He spent more time on the phone with me while on his dime over the last 2 days. He verified concerns for me as well as just allowing me to learn on my own!"

Could not agree more - I think that applies to lots of people around here!

Quick Reply: DIY'ers, if you've changed out your own lifters, I'd like to hear from you. problems!