Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fikse comes through on warranty for cracked rims... :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Fikse comes through on warranty for cracked rims... :)

So Fikse is going to warranty my 2 18x10" rear 993 wheels that developed cracks on the FM5 spokes from the inside out on 2 spokes on 1 wheel and 1 spoke on the other rear wheel.

They don't see it happen very often on FM5 wheels.. go figure...

I asked them if they found out anything from their analysis and they said it was not from a bad batch and they did not find any conclusive reason.. sorta scary but.......

Nice to see them stand behind their product and warranty them even though they are beyond the 1 year standard warranty they have...

...just a little kudo's to Fikse!!!

...as it turned out, one of them was just a little out of round (not bady but a bit)...so since the labor is free under warranty, I am having them replace one of the barrels for $245 that is just a bit out of round (strange that I never felt it on the road driving...)
Old 05-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Judging from your avatar, the problem is clearly that you are putting too much lateral stress on the wheels. I go around corners much slower and haven't had this problem.

Greg H.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:17 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

...must have been that 1:36 I got at gingerman making use of the whole track including the rumble strips huh?

Funny thing is that I'm the original owner of these Fikse wheels and they've served me well for several years ..... now they will get a fresh start all over again soon enough..

It will take about 3 weeks before I get them back.. good thing I happened to have another set of wheels (carrera lightweight 5 spokes) to throw track tires on.. I wonder how these will hold up??

...darn rumble strips at the track...
Originally Posted by Greg H.
Judging from your avatar, the problem is clearly that you are putting too much lateral stress on the wheels. I go around corners much slower and haven't had this problem.

Greg H.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

yea, some of those burms aren't to nice on your car... you ever go off? That will could take care of a set of wheels pretty quickly too.
~Eyal
Old 05-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Chris,

That's nice to know. When you say Fikse will cover the repairs under warranty, are there any out-of-pocket expenses to you?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:26 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Chris,

That's nice to know. When you say Fikse will cover the repairs under warranty, are there any out-of-pocket expenses to you?
yes, I had to pay $40 to ship them back to Fikse via ground delivery.... (and I had to have the tires removed but Eric did that at his shop so that didn't cost me anything)

..and I opted to pay for the $245 to replace the one slightly out of round barrel...
(I could have paid nothing and just dealt with the slight out of roundness given that I didn't even notice it but I figured since the labor was included anyway, why not?)

..BUT they will cover labor and return shipping....

...I've been told they take care of their customers.. and this is my 2nd set of Fikse's.... no complaints here..

It is nice to see this type of customer commitment!!!!!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks, Chris. That's what I thought. This is not the first time I've heard of an extremely positive customer service experience from Fikse and is one of the reasons I opted for FM-10's over another brand. Fikse is playing it smart; satisfied clients post their great experiences here, adding to their market share.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:34 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
yea, some of those burms aren't to nice on your car... you ever go off? That will could take care of a set of wheels pretty quickly too.
~Eyal

yes, I've had some OTEs last year ..but I've been lucky in that they have been off into grass or dust.... I think our chicagoland streets are harder on my wheels than the track to be honest....

What was strange about this situation were the cracks developing from the back of the wheels inside out.. (and ONLY on the 2 rear wheels).... you would think if I were to bounce of a curb (which didn't happen) that a crack would be from the front to the back.. and not from the back to the front.. ...besides of which, I would think the wheels would be visibly bent if there was some sort of impact related incident...

The hairline cracks were not even visible right away because of this whole inside out thing... They were not even completely through and through the spokes YET (removed before that happened).. but the cracks were very visible on the sides of the spokes and after being off the car, clearly visible hairline on the back inside of the spoke...

..the good news I guess is that this sort of thing is very rare according to Fikse...
Old 05-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris, I hope you have a better experience than I have. I've had a Profil 13 wheel there for WEEKS now and still don't have it back yet. They're replacing the outer rim half due to a pothole, and I've been waiting for production of new parts. I've been having to nag them to call me back on the status. I left them a voicemail today, and my bet is they don't return it. If I have problems in the future I think I'll use someone local to fix my wheels.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:25 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

YIKES... good thing I'm not in a big hurry then huh?

Quick Reply: Fikse comes through on warranty for cracked rims... :)