Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front tire rub - INSIDE - stock height/wheels...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:32 AM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front tire rub - INSIDE - stock height/wheels...?

I did a search and found topics on tire rub after lowering, and concerns about rubbing the outside edge of tire on the fender, but with my stock height (I don't call it "SUV") and stock size 18" wheels/tires should it be possible to rub the inside edge of tire as shown in the attached photo ? It appears to happen on both sides when auto-crossing..... Ok, I know that about worse case in terms of tight cornering and suspension deflection but I did not think I should get the rubbing anyway..?
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2005, 12:35 AM
jdoc7
Pro

I had this problem while running 245/40-18's in front with the car lowered to RS specs but not with stock height.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:46 AM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Yes, I was surprised to see the rubbing shown in the pic with stock 225/40-18.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:41 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a question for a wheel expert. Not me.. but...

I can see a problem if you have aftermarket wheels with the wrong offsets. What is the rim offset? Stamped on the rim beside the air valve.

Good luck
Old 05-02-2005, 08:52 AM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Factory rims - front 8x18 with ET52 offset
Old 05-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hummm!

I checked the Maintenance manual and found no reference to your problem.

However, I found this quote in Adrian Streather's book on the 964. It may apply to the 993 also.

"... evidence of wheel rub can mean one or more of the following:
- Steering stops not corrrect for wheel and tire assemblies"

I deleted the first two coz they were eliminated by statements in your posts. You can do a search and see what you come up with... good luck.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:58 PM
jnor10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible that the shocks are simply shot?

Jeff N
Old 05-02-2005, 05:28 PM
hdemas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That rub is nothing. Just from wide wheels and using full lock, which you only do at low speeds. You could set the steering stops to prevent this, but ignoring it is easier.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:42 AM
Paul E. Dodd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Big-Bro,

I could take a picture of my wheel well that looks exactly like this and for exactly the same situation- i.e., standard US ride height, standard factory 18-in rims, standard front tire (225/40), immediately following aggressive autocrossing. Oh, and I can guarantee that the original shocks were shot at the time.

I found that a realignment to RS specs helped (presumably more negative camber, but can't say what the original alignment was because I had just bought car). Last weekend I ran new front 235/40 MPSC's at an autocross and even with this wider tire did not see any evidence of rubbing. From what I could tell, it only happened at extreme lock, and even though it doesn't appear to be a problem any longer, I'd take hdemas' advice and ignore it. At least until it popped a tire and stranded me at an autocross...

-Paul
Old 05-03-2005, 02:43 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Gentlemen:

That, dear friends is quite common and it occurs only at full lock with a wide tire.

Given the wide variations in sectional widths between tires or the same size but different brands, its hard to avoid with any car that has been lowered. I've seen that for 25+ years (since the introduction of 50-series tires).

One can prevent this with some custom steering rack limiters, but IMHO, its nothing to worry about. If I lived in the Salt-Belt, I'd be conscious about turning the wheel to full lock and I'd coat the bare metal with 3M Body Shutz.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:02 AM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Thanks for the replies guys !
I'll ignore for now - yes, that is the only time I notice it was after autocrosses, it just surprised me.
And yes, still stock height with stock shocks.
I bought the car 2 years ago with only 19K miles, but I just passed 29K miles and am putting more miles on quickly - couple of road trips scheduled for D.E. track days this season......so I am sure that I'll be doing the shocks "soon" and I'll start falling much further over the edge of the...slippery slope......

Quick Reply: Front tire rub - INSIDE - stock height/wheels...?