A sad start to the rumble

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 04:53 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default YES!

AWSOME! I love seeing these cars in motion. That Vandenberg shot is great IMHO.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:05 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope we are all getting along better now and that there will be another rumble. I am being stationed in California (Monterey at Naval Post Gradute School) next month, and I want to go on the next rumble, so there better be one!
Old 05-04-2005, 05:21 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fred, here is another I found of you. More of Don really.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:35 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmblu
Fred, here is another I found of you. More of Don really.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Too funny.... well it's certainly not small!

Moderators: Have you considered deleting posts that are simply not constructive and negative in principal. After all, what's the point of criticism on this board? Why should it exist at all? Rather than ban someone for a justifiable reaction, why not really monitor this board and keep the BS and negativity off the board altogether? Just my $.02.....
Old 05-04-2005, 05:37 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Avenger6
I hope we are all getting along better now and that there will be another rumble. I am being stationed in California (Monterey at Naval Post Gradute School) next month, and I want to go on the next rumble, so there better be one!
Avenger6,

Welcome, and hope to see you in our backyard soon. What day will you arrive?

My eyes lit up when I see Garmisch, your location. In 1982, we honey-mooned in Europe (5.5 weeks of pure bliss) and visited the Garmisch Partenkerchen (sp?) area, and that was the happiest day/night of our trip. Lovely dinner with live piano music playing All-American tunes (Gershwin, Cole Porter, and the likes). The gondola ride up the mountain, the picnic lunch in a row boat in the Alpine lake. 70 degrees, light breeze. I'm reliving our joy as I type this now.

We plan to re-visit the Black Forest area in 2006 (and the RUF shrine at Phaffenhausen) and we will for sure go back to your area. Absolutely beautiful country.

This have been a downer of a thread for some of us. Thanks for lifting my spirit (by a lot really) with your post.

CP
Old 05-04-2005, 05:41 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

I love your story, sounds great, you kind of whisked me away on a mini vacation there.

Avenger6 welcome... let's rumble.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

I'll leave here o/a 8 June, go to Vegas to get the car and lounge by the pool for a few days at my sister's house. Then it's (probably) a run up through Reno/Tahoe to Sacramento to let Rod Birch get jiggy with the car for a few hours. Then, down to Monterey. Probably get there around the 20th or so....

Gotta make up for 2 years of no P-Car, so am going to do lots of PCA and Rennlist events.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

PLUS, I'll be glad to help out with organization..."trust me, I'm from the government, and I'm here to help....."
Old 05-04-2005, 06:01 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

I cant believe what has happened!! i cant believe what I just read in these pages!!! I'm off the boards for 2 days and its like WWIII erupted between some really good people, people I consider personal and virtual friends!

I'm very sad that it came to this and I hope everyone will cool their jets instead of fighting like 10 year old school boys. I hope that everyone will double think their behavior and take a deep breath.

It is really sad for me like I said reading these things. The 993 board has been for me an avenue to meet some incredible people over the years, who have spent their personal time to help me and have gone out of their way to meet me. The incredible spirit of commaraderie is something I'm so proud off and it makes me feel very priviledged to be part of such community. Last year when I made my trip through the West Coast from Houston, people like Kim, Phil ( Fill) , Tom F, Jim Morton, Mark O, Bob, Pong, Pin, CP and countless others opened their heart and their homes for me, organized a BAR drive, gave me incredible hospitality, to a person they only new virtually till then, right here on Rennlist! Not to mention my home buddies like Robert H and Matt H, Princenton who have treated me like family my years in Houston, my friends from the North Mike, Eric, Jeff and Greg or FF and Tim in Florida and so many others who I'm sure I forget... ALL these people because of one place: Rennlist!!

Fill ( Phil ) is a remarkable man. Having the pleasure of knowing him personally, I'm also the recipient of his kindness on several occassions. Not only he opened him home for me, but he has treated me like family on several occassions. I know he has done so to other Rennlisters as well.

While I bet that there is more to the story than what I have been reading here which led to this outrage, strictly as an impartial observer, I must say that the picture postings as by Alan in the past, made me question in my mind his motives. That is not derogatory and it should not be viewed as such. While I'm sure Alan is also a fine gentleman, having been here for a few years, i have witnessed some individuals who have tried to take advantage our community. In other words our spirit and trust. Its a fact that when one Rennlister recommends something, many Rennlisters flok to it ( I'm equally guilty on this) without question just because of the mutual trust that has developed between the members. just witness how many group buys have been done in the past years even for things that really did not add to much value or are a necessity.

So clearly MANY businesses have actually benefited from that. This is a FACT.
For me, as a member of this community I feel its our obligation to guard this community from people who come here for profit only instead of the benefit of the community. We clearly know that this has held true over the years, therefore wisely John D has set the rules about sponsorship and the rules in the classifieds where you have to be a member to post.
While it is my opinion that Alan's postings in this specific thread were aimed for the pleasure of the community ( i enjoyed them VERY MUCH too) I can also understand the other views as well. You see the complication with it is that he is not a sponsor, and the pictures are monogrammed with the associated business website. Crearly if the pictures were monogramed "Alan" for example and there was not any associated website or business of some short, then for sure the altruistic motives could not be questioned.

So for me there you have it. While I may also not agree with the verbiage used from both sides, which is what I find unacceptable, I feel that we could all at this point forgive and forget in a grown up manner for the shake of this community. Over the years there have been many disagreements about the content of the forum, some want it strictly technical , some more OT, a good balance I believe is in everyone interest as it creates friendships and relationships which is a valuable by product of Rennlist and all of us should guard it.

I really hope that this is it and we can go back to our regular programming! When I pass by again the west coast this July with my cabrio i sure want to see all the guys I know and have the pleasure of meeting new Rennlisters!
Old 05-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Jenn
Admin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phew! I'm glad to see its getting friendly again....I got this suggestion a few days ago and feared posting it but it seems applicable with this thread! Anyway, the suggestion came from a previously banned member. Their recommendation was that only John and I can ban "rennlist members" which I think is a great suggestion and would want to expand it to sponsors as well. This would take some of the pressure off the moderators and selfishly I don't have to go through the embarrassment of sending renewals to banned folks and getting the nasty grams back and John doesn't get blindsided with the flaming emails and death threats as I think he has like 30 in his email box after this thread. Thoughts???

-Jenn
Old 05-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Danny:

It's always nice to see a post from you. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:38 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Danny!!

Hey Avenger6, I'm in Nor-Cal between Reno and Sac, on the way in fact. Make sure to look me up or PM me when you're near!
Old 05-04-2005, 06:54 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I could not agree more Jenn. I think that is a great idea. I was under the impression that that is how it went anyway. Hence my moderator directed nudges. You two have always taken care of the important "problems" which have come up. It's your site, you should be the ones with the power and discretion to revise status, nobody else. Anyway, glad this is all shaping up now too.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:52 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Danny, ASG, like on John D's avatar was how I used to sign my work until I got a rash of sh t the first time around, the Argo banning incident. See Slapshots avatar. This pissed people off for some reason, why? dunno. I was asked by Rennlisters if I would put a site up for them to go see my work. Trying to be accommodating, I went to the expense and put in the time to make this happen. Seems a few folks wanted some copies of my "silly" pictures.

Truth is nobody other than the intitial 5 prints from my first runs has asked for anymore. I guess why buy the cow if you can milk it for free. I have provided countless images here and have done myself a disservice serving this community. I have deluded my werks by over saturating them here. It is taken for granted by many and disliked by some. I wonder how many wallpapers have my werks displayed, hmmm. I could have and should have never exposed my werks in such abundance. I should have just posted unprocessed pics, not images or painted shots. I could have saved myself a sh t load of time. Just slap em up like everyone else. No.... let's make em real nice so that they will enjoy them better.

You know, this was going to be a long winded explanation but as I am writing this it is occurring to me what a sap I have been. You know, no further explanation from me or any more of my valuable time should be wasted by me. I am done. I have to get back to my real business that I have been putting off so that I could get those photos up that everyone seemed to be chomping at the bit for. In addition to spending the last day defending myself. I have paying cruise clients waiting for my return call. WTF am I doing here?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:54 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
For me, as a member of this community I feel its our obligation to guard this community from people who come here for profit only instead of the benefit of the community. We clearly know that this has held true over the years, therefore wisely John D has set the rules about sponsorship and the rules in the classifieds where you have to be a member to post.
While it is my opinion that Alan's postings in this specific thread were aimed for the pleasure of the community ( i enjoyed them VERY MUCH too) I can also understand the other views as well. You see the complication with it is that he is not a sponsor, and the pictures are monogrammed with the associated business website. Crearly if the pictures were monogramed "Alan" for example and there was not any associated website or business of some short, then for sure the altruistic motives could not be questioned.
Danny the problems occur not when someone like yourself puts forth their concerns in a well written, concise format. They occur when someone outside the scope of the thread make inflamatory and completely negative and accusational posts. Instead of directing their concerns to the moderators, they made derogotory comments about Alan and his photos. I wish someone would explain how there's any value in that type of communication. Perhaps that was their intent, to inflame everyone and ruin great thread. Our wonderful event should invoke honor, not envy. Maybe it's just the ways of the world today....

Quick Reply: A sad start to the rumble