Sponsored by:

A sad start to the rumble

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 08:26 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Alan, I can clearly see you are hurt, I realize that emotions are flying hi right now, while I obviously have missed "some episodes" from the past, it is also clear that your work is appreciated by a lot of the members here. So I think that you can take a step back and see that side as well. Pulling completely away will not solve anything either. There have been many good suggestions here for all parties and I feel its time for the 'healing" process to commence.
I for one do not want to loose your contageous enthousiasm that you obviously have for what you do and i do not want to loose our marble sweeper either Nor I want to loose my other friends over to what can very well be a misunderstanding.
Unfortunately been behind a keyboard sometime is faceless and people tend to forget there is someone real behind with real feelings and emotions. Meetitng face to face often solves that problem but we do not have the luxury of that via the internet. However like I said in my previous posts, face to face I have met nothing but incredible people and I sure would like to meet you too in the future. Besides you are in my industry! As I write this we are in the beautiful Pacific Ocean on a gorgeous day heading up the west coast of Mexico

Jenn, my feedback is that i completely agree with your idea.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:35 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me this new 'idea' looks like the owners aren't supporting one of their own. Should this even be made public to all of us grunts? Seems in my humble opinion that if the owners cant trust the few admin/mods they have with banning, why have them in the first place? As spell and profanity checkers?

Just my three cents.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:37 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John and Jenn provide a service. Our sponsors provide a service. Everyone else CONTRIBUTES to this community without the expectation of receiving anything in return. Alan, continue to share your passion of autos and photography through your wonderful photos. Post what you want to share, period. Not what you think others want to see. It would be a shame to lose so much eye candy!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:40 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Hi everyone -

As a latecomer to this thread, I was quite looking forward to seeing Alan's pictures. Unfortunately, I seemed to have missed the boat on this one. The thread started out like a good read and I was hopeful of some of the remaining pics posted, but I really cannot believe that I've wasted 45 minutes reading through all the negative posts up to page 25!!!

As a new 993 owner, I have been very grateful to some of the interesting and informative posts on here. Worldwide, Rennlist has to be one of the best English forums for Porsches. Personal slagging matches like this only detract from the positives of Rennlist, and it suggests that stronger moderation might be in order to protect the image and marketability of Rennlist.

Hopefully everyone here can help some of us new owners along by keeping the content of their posts focused on making this forum pleasant for everyone. Personal slagging posts should be automatically banned - irrespective of whether the poster is an old hand or not. Surely "old hands" should know better?! Rennlist's value is far more important than the few bullies who believe this forum is their personal playground just because they may be a paid up subscriber or "old hand".

Anyways, I hope to see some of Alan's pictures. His website has some awesome shots... hopefully I'll get to see some of the photos of sunny Cal on this side of the world. If I could have been there for the Rumble, I would definitely have signed up!

Cheers -
Old 05-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenn
Phew! I'm glad to see its getting friendly again....I got this suggestion a few days ago and feared posting it but it seems applicable with this thread! Anyway, the suggestion came from a previously banned member. Their recommendation was that only John and I can ban "rennlist members" which I think is a great suggestion and would want to expand it to sponsors as well. This would take some of the pressure off the moderators and selfishly I don't have to go through the embarrassment of sending renewals to banned folks and getting the nasty grams back and John doesn't get blindsided with the flaming emails and death threats as I think he has like 30 in his email box after this thread. Thoughts???

-Jenn
I don't agree. If you can't trust your moderators to make a correct and appropriate decision then why have them? They aren't children and some have been around as long as this board has been in existence. They have their pulse on their particular board better than you and John do (no offense) due to your schedules and the size of rennlist.

Just a wild guess, but what are those flaming emails saying, if they are wanting to cancel their membership over something this petty then cancel it, refund their money and send me the bill for their dues and I will gladly compensate you for the loss of income/revenue.

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 05-04-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:54 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Danny, you state that my language was unacceptable to you. I can accept that. I too was uncomfortable with it - but it was an accurate reflection of my reaction and using F@#&%*G or other code for the actual letters made no sense. We are adults; you get my meaning either way. I recall a thread from some time ago about how silly it is to use alternate symbols for the alphabetical symbols we currently use for the same words. We get the meaning regardless of the symbols we use.

The other thing I just to get, no matter how many times you or others try to explain it is why you and others continue to question Alan's motives, in spite of the fact that many of us have testified here to his ethics and credibility. To raise that issue within this context is inflammatory because it continues to raise suspicion and fan the flames - which you now are now furthering while at the same time that you express sadness over the circumstance. That contradiction is similar to you stating that you continue to question his motives while admitting that you like seeing the images.

Don't express sadness and then fan the flames, don't enjoy the pictures and then question the motive behind posting them.

His watermark is what it is. It doesn’t say "buy me for $65" or "Like this, I have more that you can buy." He is not selling anything, he is marking the "werks" he chooses to share with us for our enjoyment. Why is it necessary to continue to question his motives? It's been asked and answered so many times by so many of us.

If you don't care what others or I think, will you listen to John D. the owner of this site? He has answered your question for you - he uses one of Alan's "werks" as his avatar. That should end all questions of Alan's motives, ethics or agendas.

Respectfully submitted,

Fred
Old 05-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Fred,
You can't paint the picture anyway you want but your language was unacceptable. You should have been sent to the naughty chair for doing that.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:17 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally Posted by fbfisher
will you listen to John D. the owner of this site? He has answered your question for you - he uses one of Alan's "werks" as his avatar. That should end all questions of Alan's motives, ethics or agendas.
Perhaps this should not be overlooked or dismissed?

I like the pictures as much as the next guy, but the actual rule/law of rennlist is clearly visible for all to read in the charter. As nice as the pictures are, they are a promotion. Thats a fact, not a flame or incite. And as a promotion, they are a blatant violation of said charter.

Do any of you youngin's remember Joe Fabiani? He was good for lots of laughs and would promote his business here incessantly. Yet everyone raved about his crappy products that broke and didn't work as advertised (I am not calling MNM's pictures crappy), yet he had tons of support. He got banned and started a new username and was up to his old tricks. Looking back, it was funny.

My point is that rules are rules and everyone should follow them. I am not pointing blame, so please dont flame me. I am just trying to relay facts. The fact that Alan doesn't get rich from these promotions has no bearing on the facts.

There were lots of solutions to this problem, but facts are facts.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:17 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Fred,
You can't paint the picture anyway you want but your language was unacceptable. You should have been sent to the naughty chair for doing that.
Greg he was given a short time out. Did you want it to be longer?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:18 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Fred,
I won't argue that it made some people uncomfortable. Others have indicated (mostly in private) that my choice of words was completely appropriate and was an accurate reflection of their feeling too. Like I said, I too was uncomfortable - but did it anyway.

I was "banned" for my language as the moderator responsible for that banning agreed with you that it was unacceptable. I guess he, or someone else in a position of authority, had a change of mind or a different opinon. As my "ban" was lifted about an hour after it was imposed. For that I am grateful.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Cy
Racer

Originally Posted by E. J. - 993 Alumni
Perhaps this should not be overlooked or dismissed?

I like the pictures as much as the next guy, but the actual rule/law of rennlist is clearly visible for all to read in the charter. As nice as the pictures are, they are a promotion. Thats a fact, not a flame or incite. And as a promotion, they are a blatant violation of said charter.

My point is that rules are rules and everyone should follow them. I am not pointing blame, so please dont flame me. I am just trying to relay facts. The fact that Alan doesn't get rich from these promotions has no bearing on the facts.

E.J. . . . you (and a few others posted above) get it! It has nothing to do with posting pictures . . . post 'em all day long. Rather it has to do with coming onto Rennlist for 30 mins and having someones advertising, whether successful or not, banged into my skull over 200 times.

Kind regards,
Old 05-04-2005, 09:35 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by E. J. - 993 Alumni
The fact is Alan is not posting his pics to market them. That's a fact and it goes to intent. Fred, myself, John D, and others have all testified to that intent from our respective personal knowledge and experience. The rest is pure conjecture and thereby not factual or evidentiary.

EJ the proof is in the pudding. If that were so he would be bankrupt, Jan would leave him for me, he'd be the dumbest SOB on Rennlist, and that's another fact I guess.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:41 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Come on guys, put down the cool aide. Intent has nothing to do with fact. I made this perfectly clear in my post that you chose to ignore while sipping from the chalice or red sugar water. The facts are that promotion by non sponsors is against the rules. I don't care if millions of peple have his avatars or if no one does. I dont care if he sells millions of prints or one.

If you want to argue facts, then lets do it. But I post facts and you post opinions based on your's and other's beliefs. Thats a fact.

Here's another fact that is probably going to upset lots of you. There are plenty of other ways to watermark a picture than the way Alan does it. Thats another fact.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:46 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cy
Rather it has to do with coming onto Rennlist for 30 mins and having someones advertising, whether successful or not, banged into my skull over 200 times.Kind regards,
Get over it. Your skull if obviously too thin-skinned.
Take you complaint to the moderators where it belongs. That's not what you did and please don't try to spin it any other way or I'll repost your first note on this matter and we can disect it for all to see. You are selfish, and your lack of respect for others on this board is undeniable. It wasn't your thread, you have no horse in this race, yet you feel compelled to denegrade a fine member of this community because you think he's marketing his pics on here for free. Get a life, take your complaints to the moderator, and leave the rest of us who were enjoying this thread alone. Start one of your own if you have anything to offer...
Old 05-04-2005, 09:52 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cy
E.J. . . . you (and a few others posted above) get it! It has nothing to do with posting pictures . . . post 'em all day long. Rather it has to do with coming onto Rennlist for 30 mins and having someones advertising, whether successful or not, banged into my skull over 200 times.

Kind regards,
Hey tough luck Cy,

Put me on IGNORE and you won't have to see them. If it's okay with John D. then you have absolutely nothing to say about it so STFU already.

HOW MANY TIMES DO PEOPLE HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT! DOAH! YOU DON'T LIKE IT LEAVE AND DO EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD A FAVOR... GUYS LIKE YOU ARE NOT WANTED HERE SO TAKE A HIKE.

You are especially not wanted in OUR threads so STAY OUT. GET IT! GET LOST.

Quick Reply: A sad start to the rumble