993 Forum 1995-1998

State Inspection OBD Readiness Codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 06:49 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default State Inspection OBD Readiness Codes

Well, its inspection time again and I lost power to the battery over the winter so I'm trying to determine whether the system needs to be reset by the dealer. I'd like to take it to a local inspection station as opposed to making the 40 mile trek to the only competent dealer around.

I took the 993 to Autozone and explained what I was attempting to do but I'm not sure the kid understood. He found everything to be fine (no error codes). I was wondering if there was a specific test on the OBD scanner to check readiness codes or will a general test be enough?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2005, 08:57 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most OBD II readers can read the state of the readiness codes. One cannot however reset them with a "reader". As far as I know you've got 2 options:

1. Keep driving the car and hope/pray that they reset themselves.
2. Execute Steve Weiner's procedure(do a search and you'll find it) which should get the codes to reset quickly. I should know, I just did it within the last week. Look for my post earlier today re. Readiness codes.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:57 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

P.S. The car for which we reset ALL the readiness codes did NOT have any CEL faults/errors. You have to look at the readiness codes specifically.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:20 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn't too clear in my post. I was trying to determine whether a basic screening of the codes would determine whether the readiness codes were set or whether a more in depth analysis via the scanner was necessary to determine whether they were set.

In the past years, I have had to take the car to a Porsche dealer to have them drive the car for about an hour at various speeds in order set the readiness codes. I wish it was as easy as resetting the codes via the OBD scanner.

Originally Posted by coltj
Most OBD II readers can read the state of the readiness codes. One cannot however reset them with a "reader". As far as I know you've got 2 options:

1. Keep driving the car and hope/pray that they reset themselves.
2. Execute Steve Weiner's procedure(do a search and you'll find it) which should get the codes to reset quickly. I should know, I just did it within the last week. Look for my post earlier today re. Readiness codes.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:32 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

No. Merely checking for OBD II fault codes(P0XXX or P1XXX) will not tell you about the readiness codes. A car can have no CEL faults but can have one or more readiness codes not ready. Most/many ODB II readers can tell you the status of the readiness codes. As far as I know, one cannot do a soft or hard reset of readiness codes as one can with CEL fault codes. Sounds like the Porsche dealer that drove your car for an hour at various speeds was using what I call Steve Weiner's procedure. it does work but it's a PITA or a challenge depending on how one looks at things.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:41 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Thanks again coltj. So I guess I need to find someone who specifically knows how to check the readiness codes on the OBD II reader. That is exactly what the Porsche dealer did. I posted a couple of years ago on Rennlist about the experience. It's a complete PITA.

I would just take it to a local inspection station but the first station that starts the inspection process must complete the process. Thanks again!

No. Merely checking for OBD II fault codes(P0XXX or P1XXX) will not tell you about the readiness codes. A car can have no CEL faults but can have one or more readiness codes not ready. Most/many ODB II readers can tell you the status of the readiness codes. As far as I know, one cannot do a soft or hard reset of readiness codes as one can with CEL fault codes. Sounds like the Porsche dealer that drove your car for an hour at various speeds was using what I call Steve Weiner's procedure. it does work but it's a PITA or a challenge depending on how one looks at things.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:53 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

jw97c2s,

You have a PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:04 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Does the 3110 new model reset the codes? It is more than just a reader. It is about 200.00.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:30 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

As far as I know, one cannot do a soft or hard reset of readiness codes as one can with CEL fault codes.
All you need to do to clear the readiness codes is disconnect the battery.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:35 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Jason
I may not be using the correct terms when I say "reset the readiness codes." What I mean is enabling the readiness codes to allow the State inspection to be completed. The disconnection/loss of power to the battery is what caused the situation.

"
Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
All you need to do to clear the readiness codes is disconnect the battery.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Viken recently posted what you have to do to reset the readiness codes.

I recently failed the Calif test for these codes, but I don't know what happened as I keep a maintainer on the battery. I took the car to an autocross which included about 30 minutes of freewy driving each way. This was sufficient to reset the codes and I passed the retest with no problems.

Quick Reply: State Inspection OBD Readiness Codes