Rats, Dealer Curbed My Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rats, Dealer Curbed My Car

Just got my Top Motor recall done on Tuesday. I took it out this morning to wash the bugs off the front bumper and I felt a roughness under the splitter.
Crap. The dealer curbed both splitters down to the glass. I have the front protection bar on but it did not save the splitters.

I called the dealer and they were a bit defensive but they asked me to bring it in for a look. They said that they did not have it on a lift and that they could not have caused the damage. So I repeated, "One of your employees CURBED my splitters."
Old 04-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

That SUCKS! Hopefully they will honor a fix. I guess these if you don't know the individauls extremely well and trust them, your're left to taking pics at drop-off date or getting them to sign off on an inspection on areas susceptible to damage before leaving the car.

Scott
Old 04-28-2005, 02:54 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would they have put it on a lift in the first place?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:57 PM
mborkow
Drifting

it is stories like these that have me convinced to never, ever, take my 993 to a dealer. my shop has two guys (so if something happens there will not be much mystery about who might have done it) and they treat my car like it was theirs.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ray, They never put it on a lift, the hit a high curb.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:02 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

What dealership did you bring it to? Stop by with a camera, I bet you there is still black paint on the curb that they drove into. There has to be something wrong with the P-dealers in Massachusetts, I ended up with a chunk of aero mirror missing after my last ever service at a dealership a few years ago.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate to leave my car with anyone. I think you need to go over the car with them when you drop it of and pick it up like they do when you rent a car rental or at Uhaul.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:12 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Is it the left side splitter? That is the one that will bottom while leaving the lot for 'test drives' after repair work. Is the service exit steep?
Old 04-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

They got both splitters but the right side is worst. My FPB is perfect, at least they did not scratch that. I will post a picture tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:51 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about this after all the hard work you put in this winter.

I never leave my car with anyone for this very reason. I'm there during alignments... and when the painter wanted me to leave the car so he could try and match my paint, I left him my gas cap cover instead.

Hope they do you right.

Last edited by kkim; 04-29-2005 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Kelly, and my car is not even that low. I am right on the Euro Spec of 144/127.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:20 AM
Forever993
Advanced

I work at a dealer. I would never leave my car at a dealer. That's why I'm a mechanic. No one touches my car, and I'm not even that **** about the paint. Several people drove your car. It could have been the service writer, mechanic or porter. It probably wasn't the lift, but maybe the parking block it was parked up against. To give you an idea, in my dealer, the manager does not have a drivers license, nor the dispatcher, nor 2 of the service writers, all suspended. Many of the porters are under assumed names and not even in the country legally much less have a drivers license. All of these people drive customer cars, on test drives to lunch, home, whatever they so choose. It sucks, I hate it and I work in an upscale luxury car dealer. One of our finance guys ran over two senior citizens in our parking lot, and later on siphoned money from the dealer, that finally got him fired. One of our salesmen is a convicted conman. They gave him his job back after he served his time in prison. I guess it's no surprise he is our top performing salesman. On the positive side, the lowly, dirty mechanics all have their drivers licenses. In fact, the mechanics are so clean living that only one out of our eleven techs even smokes. We are the only people in the dealer required to have licenses. We are also the only people in the dealer that have an actual interest in cars. I don't know what advise to give you. No matter what it seems that it's a crap shoot whether you get your car back in good condition. Just yesterday an exceedingly clean black car came in. The paint was better than new. Where did the porter park it? Underneath a pine tree. By this time there is at least 50 drops of sap on it. I can go on and on...
Old 04-29-2005, 10:02 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

..yes, it's all true... I hear terrible stories all the time from Eric ...it makes me so much more thankful that he is the one to work on my cars instead of a dealer. BTW Guys, Eric at one time had a brand new Audi TT (it came with free maintenance for the 1st 2 or 3 years just like BMW did at one time -- not sure if that is still the case or not)... and Eric would NOT even think about letting that free maintenance be performed.. he'd rather pay for the parts to do it himself! ...but that car was less than a year old anyway when it got traded in... so in the end it didn't much matter since he only put 925 miles on it.. LOL
Old 04-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Oh my - thanks for the heads up!!!! I'm only bringing it to my independent from now on. Never again, with either car!

Steve
Old 04-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Oh my - thanks for the heads up!!!! I'm only bringing it to my independent from now on. Never again, with either car!

Steve
Ditto for me!

Scott

Quick Reply: Rats, Dealer Curbed My Car