Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

“Homemade” Auxilary Oil Cooler tested at track.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005 | 12:09 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Exclamation “Homemade” Auxilary Oil Cooler tested at track.

While ago, I installed auxilary oil cooler to my car. This is a “homemade” kit, not one of the kits you can buy. I used Mocal cooler and fittings & lines mostly from Earl’s.
I have now what I called “Stage I” kit with only one extra cooler but am planning (maybe) installing another one on passenger side.

For more information, check the original DIY post with pictures.
I updated the DIY also now that I have results from track..

Past weekend (finally!) was the first time when I got to test how this set-up works at track conditions so I though I need to share the results.

So, here are the results after two days DE at Homestead:

Before I installed the cooler, temperature needle would climb close to 10 o’clock position, and always were above 9 o’clock position even when not pushing that hard, that was too much for me and something needed to be done.
Weather here almost always is in 80-90 degrees so hoping for cool track days doesn’t work.

Now, after the oil cooler, temperatures have dropped nicely!

Past Saturday & Sunday down at Homestead were sunny and temperatures about 90 degrees so “test” conditions were optimal.

During hard driving, temperature needle stayed just about exactly on top of 8 o’clock position and when pushing really hard for one 30 min. session (one session I and one GT3 driver drove back to back and in order to keep up with GT3, you can imagine one must push pretty hard with n/a 993) needle raised just a little over 8 o’clock so results are very good in my opinion!

Also, as an comparison, my student on both days had 1995 993 (with chip, flywheel and exhaust) and his temperature reading where constantly quite close to 10 o'clock position even though he drove 10+ seconds slower lap times.

To summarize:

During very similar conditions and driving, maximum temperature dropped from ~240 F (~116 C) to ~200 F (93 C) which I think is within maximum operating temperature recommended (for maximum engine longevity and power) to these air cooled engines and also is not above the point where engine starts losing power, Steve W. maybe can chime in and confirm this.

If you have any comments or questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
Old 04-25-2005 | 12:44 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

FF - Nicely Done ! It's nice to see your fix was well worth the effort & DIY write up.
Old 04-25-2005 | 01:20 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

THIS is what Rennlist is all about!!!
Old 04-25-2005 | 01:45 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will be doing this soon. Just finished a DE this weekend with temps around 210-220. Those sound good, but it was 60 outside! IIRC, you can count on a 1 to 1 ratio with the outside temp, therefore, on a 90 degree day the temps will be 240-250! Too hot!
Old 04-25-2005 | 02:23 PM
David Danhof
Addict
Rennlist Member

Finn, I have similar results with the same setup. Thanks for the DIY, it was very helpful!
Old 04-25-2005 | 03:37 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the compliments guys, I'm glad if I helped someone.

As OG said, "THIS is what Rennlist is all about!!!"

Quick Reply: “Homemade” Auxilary Oil Cooler tested at track.