993 Forum 1995-1998

ALPINE MOTORSPORTS CLUB

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 12:43 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Richard,
The track in Joliet, called "Autobahn" is up and running as a club like the one you are describing. There was an Audi event there a few weeks ago, and it was great. I wish I were nearer to you. The concept is a great one, and seeing it work, and seeing the members' cars drive in was exciting, as well as frought with the status type problems similar to other country clubs. It will be a complex experience, with renting to marque clubs to get income, keeping time for members, mixing radically different cars in run groups, etc. It is new and very exciting prospect, and I am envious.
Does this mean I won't see you at Watkins Glen?
Old 04-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Chuck,

I'm glad you "stepped in" on this thread. I visited Autobahn in January and was given a ride on the track. It is great.

We won't be depending on clubs for income. We will have a few weekends and some weekdays set aside for marque clubs, but our emphasis is on the individual members.

I'm going to be at Mid-Ohio for the first time next Friday, Sat and Sunday, the 29th, 30th and 1st with the Potomac region of PCA. Are you doing that event?

I'm planning on being at NEQ's Glen events in July and August. Will you be at both?

Richard
Old 04-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard C2S
Bob,

I'm sorry I wasn't there yesterday but am glad you got to see the property and the scale model of the track. I was there all day Saturday and we had several terrific people visit then, too.

Richard
Sorry we missed you Richard. The rest the Alpine team did a great job for the approximately 15 of us from NNJR who made the trip.

Bob
Old 04-18-2005, 06:15 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Richard I am interested in becoming a member but have some questions . When is the expected completion date? How many memberships? Deadlines for membership. I live right outside of philly and went to school in Bethlehem Pa. any other pertinent information would be helpful. thanks Paul
Old 04-18-2005, 10:14 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Richard,
I'll miss the Mid Ohio event, but will be there a few weeks later. I'll be at both Watkins Glen events, though, so we can catch up then. I still want to hear about the One Lap, and about how this new endeavor is shaping up.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Paul,

Thanks for your interest. Here are a few quick answers. It is theoretically possible for an opening late next summer (with dues prorated, of course), but more likely to be the spring/summer of the year after.

As to memberships, that's hard to answer as Alan Wilson (track designer) has said the facility could accommodate in excess of 3,000. However, we are looking now at a max of about 1,500. Our initial goal is about 750.

As to a deadline, our Management Group has authorized a limited number of Associate Memberships at present rates. That is first-come-first-served. As to Signature Memberships, for a limited time, those who commit will get use of a garage to store their car along with the other attributes of Signature membership.

Either way, its a no-brainer, as the deposits are held in escrow and not used for anything until construction begins. If construction doesn't happen - you get your deposit back.

Please e-mail me at: carreracarguy@msn.net with a telephone number where I can contact you so I may answer any questions you may have.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got to meet fellow Rennlister Jamie Ford today at the Hershey swap meet. I looked for John Dunkle at the Mainely By Design space, but he wasn't there. So I bought a few things.

Hershey was a little "lite" this year. Plenty of vendors, but not as many visitors. I guess because of the predictions for terrible weather.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The Alpine Motorsports web site reports a trial court win obtained last month. Is there an appeal of that judgment at this point? Time for an update of this thread, and maybe move it to the DE forum where there is much discussion of runoff and modern track design?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris,

Thanks for your interest. The judge's opinion in our favor has not yet been appealed and thoroughly discussed each issued raised. Time for an appeal is rapidly running out. One of the two appellants, I believe it is the Blue Mountain Preservation Assn, has announced that it is no longer going to participate in the efforts to stop the development of Alpine.

Alpine has received all environmental and engineering approvals. Alpine is moving forward, as expected.

Please remember that Alpine will be primarily for use and enjoyment of its individual members - with some dates set aside for a limited number of club (DE or other) events. Your suggestion is a good one. I will get something on the DE forum, as Alan Wilson designed our track as "state of the art".

Thanks, again.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That is more good news Richard! Very happy to hear things are moving along as planned.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob W.

Have you joined yet?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not quite, but working on it.....
Old 07-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The PA environmental permit to Alpine Motorsports may be issued this fall, so maybe groundbreaking in early 2008? Can anyone here provide further update now that it's been more than two years? Note that Thunderbolt Raceway in Millville, NJ, is moving lots of dirt and scheduling paving for this fall. I've sent my deposit to both.

Quick Reply: ALPINE MOTORSPORTS CLUB