Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ALPINE MOTORSPORTS CLUB

Fellow Rennlisters,

I HAVE RECEIVED JOHN D's APPROVAL TO POST THIS.

There are lots of people who join country clubs so that they can play golf on a terrific course pretty much any time they want. There are many of us, myself included, who would prefer to be able to drive our special car on a terrific course, pretty much any time we want.

I've become involved in the development of the Alpine Motorsports Club which
has acquired 360 beautiful acres and will build a world class road course on it in eastern Pennsylvania (just north of Allentown and south of the Poconos) approximately 75 miles from New York City and from Philadelphia. The course has been designed by Alan Wilson and will be 40 feet wide and 4 miles in total length, with the long configuration of 2.8 miles, and an elevation change of some 220 feet, plenty of run-off room and state-of-the-art safety elements.

CLEARLY, THIS CLUB WILL NOT APPEAL TO EVERYONE. LIKE A COUNTRY CLUB, there will be an initiation fee and annual dues. But think about the times that you have had to skip a drivers' ed event because of last minute business conflict or personal problems. How about the events where we sit around all morning waiting for the fog to lift or the thunder storms to abate. Or, being closed out of a track event because we weren't able to sign up in advance.

We are not real estate developers. We are car lovers who want to drive on a terrific road course when we are able and as often as possible. We are looking for "a few good members" who share the love of high performance cars, who want to drive those cars the way they were designed to be driven and in the company of like-minded enthusiasts.

PLEASE CHECK-OUT ALPINE'S WEB SITE www.alpinesignature.com or CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY INTEREST IN JOINING THIS CLUB OR ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT IT.

Thanks.
Richard
Old 04-14-2005, 11:05 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts

Richard,
I have been following this project and am elated to see that it is going to become reality. Will the track be rented out to clubs for DE's as well? I will read a bit more thoroughly the web site but anticipate some questions.I'll shoot you a PM when I know what they are. Fantastic!

Jamie
Old 04-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jamie,

Thanks for responding. The club will be primarily for the use of Signature and Associate members. There will be a limited number of days set aside for car club events. The design of the track allows for several different configurations, which will offer members a variety of track experiences.

Richard
Old 04-14-2005, 05:50 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richard, I am not trying to dampen your enthusiasm which seems rich at this time. I am not sure how long you have been at this "hobby". But, for those of us that have been around awhile we do not get excited about new track announcements because we have been through the ups and downs many times. I am an optimist and I will be very excited to see Alpine come to fruition, but I'm not "holding my breath" if you know what I mean.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:47 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know what you mean JC but if you check their site it seems the money and the approvals are in place as is the land itself. Hopefully this will come to fruition.

Richard,
As I read it the assoc. member gets 8 days. Are additional days available for a fee? Obviuosley I am trying to figure out the cost of track time vs. other venues/orginazations. Of course I will consider that this track is very close to me and looks like it will be first rate.

Jamie
Old 04-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

JC,

I've been at this "hobby" since 1970, when I bought my first Porsche. A red 356C. My post was informational and not an attempt to get you excited.

The Alpine project is actually pretty far along. For those who may value the concept of this club, there is an opportunity now to reserve a membership at no risk. The membership deposits are being held in escrow pending closing on construction financing. The deposits are not being used. In the event the track does not get built, the deposit gets returned.

The opportunity to reserve a membership at preconstruction rates is now. We know that once construction begins it is likely that membership fees will go up. There will not be an unlimited number of memberships. Certainly not at the present rates.

Jamie, yes an Associate Member will be able to "purchase" a certain number of additional days. Those details will be worked out. While trying to figure out the cost of track time, please remember that when we sign up for a drivers ed event, we are "locked in" to those days. If you get to the Glen for a two day event and are fogged out for most of the first day, as I experienced last September, you don't get your money back for the track, your motel room or the day you took off from work. At Alpine, you decide when you want to go to the track.

If you've registered for a two or three day track event with one of the clubs and you get sick or a business deal blows up three days before the event and you have to cancel, you not only miss your track days, but you don't get your money back.

Again, this Club will be a first rate world class facility virtually in our back yards. And again, it won't be for everybody. We understand that.

Richard
Old 04-17-2005, 01:28 AM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you folks have a booth at Hershey last year? Seems to me I remember something similar - could be my imagination.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe,

We did and we will be at Hershey this year, too. Aside from wanting to spread the word about Alpine, five of the seven of us have Porsches. We've all been to Hershey almost every year. Stop by and say hello!
Old 04-17-2005, 03:26 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Richard,
Great! I will be at Hershey as well. Looking forward to meeting with and talking to you. Perfect!

Jamie
Old 04-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jamie,

I'll be there most of the day, but I won't be at the Alpine "booth" all day. I have some things on my wish list that I have to look for. If I'm not there when you get there, they will be able to call me. I'd like to meet you.

Richard
Old 04-17-2005, 04:27 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will have you paged. See you in a week.

Jamie
Old 04-17-2005, 05:04 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Richard,
How about a track near St. Louis, too! Nice central location...
Old 04-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gordo,

One at a time! This one has taken close to three years so far. But, we have the land, we have the track designed, we have our approvals, we're getting there!

Come see us!

Richard
Old 04-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A group of us traveled to the Alpine Motrosports Club site yesterday. It was a beautiful afternoon, with the Alpine team providing a very informative presentation, printed materials and rides around the property so that we could visualize the track.

It is worth the trip and time to see how far this project has come and hear the plans for completion. If you are into reading engineering and environmental studies, and/or reviewing permits, they are all there for your enjoyment.

Oh, the lunch and hospitality were great also! Thanks to the Alpine Team.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob,

I'm sorry I wasn't there yesterday but am glad you got to see the property and the scale model of the track. I was there all day Saturday and we had several terrific people visit then, too.

Richard

Quick Reply: ALPINE MOTORSPORTS CLUB