993 Forum 1995-1998

Pss9 stiffness adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 02:07 PM
winsome
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pss9 stiffness adjustment?

Just wanted to confirm twelve o' clock is the notch where the setting is (for rear shocks), but what about front shocks? I did a search on the topic but they are very confusing indeed.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

winsome,

When I had PSS-9's, this is how I adjusted them:

To adjust shocks, turn **** counterclockwise to find stiffest setting (1) and then turn dial back, feeling for clicks. (+=stiffer) It might help to mark the spot on the shock body where the softest or stiffest setting is with a dab of paint.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:38 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

winsome,

The dials aren't always installed well aligned with a reference point. Turn the dial clockwise or counterclockwise until it won't turn anymore and then you are at either 1 or 9. Then make a mark on the shock body to keep track of your setting.

Good luck

Skip
Old 04-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark,

FWIW, counter-clockwise is softer.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

At VIR this past weekend, I found that on one of my front shocks, there are no clicks. The dial does have the stop in either direction. My front shocks have a white line on the side of the barrel below the ****. The problem is you can't see this unless the car is up on a lift. Would have been nice if the fronts where adjustable from the top of the shock.

Todd
Old 04-06-2005, 07:53 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Vaughan
Mark,
Mark where did you get that from? Every source I've run across says the opposite. Mine came with PSS9's already installed and I've always heard counter-clockwise is hardest setting.

BTW, I have never lifted the car to adjust them. You can reach both fronts and rears easily lying on the ground. I just roll the adjuster from bump to bump and set them in the middle for street use. For track, rears on full hard, fronts in the middle.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:58 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Vaughan
Mark,

I'm pretty sure it's the opposite, the numbers start at 9 (soft) and go down to 1 (stiff) so counter-clockwise goes stiffer. The numbers are on the wheel, vs. on the shock body, that's why this is the case (if that makes sense!).
Old 04-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Guys,

I may have heard it incorrectly, but I called Steve Weiner a couple of years ago and I thought that's what he said. Maybe he said counter clockwise is softer and I got it all wrong. Sure wouldn't be the first time.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:16 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess if you run somewhere in the middle it doesn't really matter which way is softer/stiffer. If you run closer to either end it's very obvious, it's either pretty stiff or too soft.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I am blessed with the ability to know which way to screw in a light bulb, so I did not want to push it with PSS9. No disparagement intended for those whose intended use benefits from them, but this adjustment confusion is one of the reasons I went with what I have.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:58 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Mark was exactly right in his first post. Full counterclockwise is for the hardest setting. It's very easy to remember: just remember that it's exactly the opposite of what it should be. You'd think that "loosening" the thumbwheel would "loosen" the shocks but it's opposite.

Terry- you're absolutely right there's adjustment confusion. I've heard stories of people around here being found at track events with their suspension on full soft accidentally.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:35 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

1=Stiff
9=Soft
German perception. Well, of course #1 is stiff, stiff is the starting point.

ToddB
I found that on one of my front shocks, there are no clicks. The dial does have the stop in either direction. My front shocks have a white line on the side of the barrel below the ****. The problem is you can't see this unless the car is up on a lift. Would have been nice if the fronts where adjustable from the top of the shock.
If the *** is installed backwards there will be no clicks. The convex ball is on the ***. Take it off and check that it is installed properly. Of course there is no sound, just a feel.
PSS9s for the 996 have the *** on the top. Very easy.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:23 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

All - Mark in Balt was correct - counter-clockwise is stiff (1)

Randy - how easy is it to make that change because I don't think any of my dials have a click. Can I do it with the shock on the car and does it affect anything.

-Skip
Old 04-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

I could have sworn clockwise was stiffer. Each time I'm under the car I think of "tightening down" the suspension, as I cannot see while reaching under the car. I wonder if there are differences between those purchased in the U.S. vs. Europe? Mine were purchased from Gert in 2001 so they're older.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:26 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Skip. You do not need to remove the shocks, but you must lift the car. The fronts are on the very bottom of the shocktower and you need a visual and elbow room. I did mine on jack stands. You only need a very small allen wrench to operate the set screw.

Quick Reply: Pss9 stiffness adjustment?