Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley VROD and porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 04:49 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

OldGuy: Interesting commentary coming from someone who is a self titled "OldGuy" who drives a Porsche and with 3,225 posts on Rennlist is obviously involved in one way or another with other Porsche owners. Sort of the pot calling the kettle black isn't it? (Ie: I never understand these "old guys" who feel the need to buy those high status sports cars like a Porsche to relive part of their fading youth. Kind of looks silly to see all those grey hairs getting together and going in convoys to their favorite eatery where they park their cars in two stalls per car just "in case" someone might want to park next to their precious ride. Just who do those guys think they are?)

P.S. It's hard to tell but everything I'm saying above is "tongue in cheek". I just don't like the stereotypes that come out about different groups - be they Harley or Porsche.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

Unfortunately for most one has to earn the dollars to buy a car/bike of their dreams. Sometimes it takes a couple of decades to realize your goal of owning something you may have dreamt of since you were five. I understand there are guys that go out and buy a mid life crisis car (cliche red convert) but they're usually not car guys. In other words none of my neighbors have cars that anyone else would look at and covet but if one day they have a red Corvette in their driveway that they traded their beige 4 door Lexus for, I know they're having an identity crisis. So when I see a mature gentleman in a sweet ride I don't immediately think 'Mid life crisis'
Old 04-07-2005, 05:26 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"when I see a mature gentleman in a sweet ride I don't immediately think 'Mid life crisis'"
of course you don't; you are the one driving the car ;-)
Old 04-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Randy M
Drifting

I'm 34....Just beginning to get old
Old 04-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Last August on my way back from Billings I came across hundreds of HD going and coming from the Sturgis Rally .
Old 04-07-2005, 05:31 PM
mborkow
Drifting

i am 33...maybe we are having an early life crisis!
Old 04-07-2005, 05:37 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Last August on my way back from Billings I came across hundreds of HD going and coming from the Sturgis Rally .
I imagine there will be people in Oregon this year saying they saw hundreds of Porsche's going and coming from Porsche Parade. I think the Porsche crowd and the Harley crowd are actually getting to be more of the same demographic which is why I find it ironic that someone who owns a Porsche can say they don't understand the whole "Harley" thing.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Not feeling young right now, I just threw my back out at the gym....
Old 04-07-2005, 05:38 PM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a new '05 Road King Custom. I have 5 bikes now, mostly sport bikes except for the BMW Adventure. The Harley is mostly a piece of crap and is only good for one thing: cruising up PCH on a warm, sunny day with my girl on the back. That's really about it. It has no power, no brakes, and ergonomically its a complete disaster. I've kept the noise to a minum with Screamin Eagle Pro pipes, rather than straight pipes. I cannot wait until straight pipes are illegal.

But I still like it.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:42 PM
lowblow
Racer

I think car guys and bike guys are very similar. I like to think I' both. I'm 41 with a chopper style bike but have been riding since I was 15. Throughout that time I was only without a bike for 5 years.

I actually "stumbled" into my 993 ownership and wasn't nearly as informed or "schooled" in Porsche ownership/ knowledge as most of you are.

All I can say is that I feel very fortunate to have gotten into Porsches and am rapidly becoming certifiable with regards to my new addiction and I hope to acquire more bikes and cars until they bury me!

Mike
Old 04-07-2005, 05:44 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"am rapidly becoming certifiable with regards to my new addiction"
same here! i just hope for my midlife crisis i can afford a TT (since i could only afford a C4 for my early-life crisis)!
Old 04-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
I imagine there will be people in Oregon this year saying they saw hundreds of Porsche's going and coming from Porsche Parade. I think the Porsche crowd and the Harley crowd are actually getting to be more of the same demographic which is why I find it ironic that someone who owns a Porsche can say they don't understand the whole "Harley" thing.
People who don't understand the Harley thing are usually those who don't understand the motorcycling thing because they've never experienced it. For some people it changes their lives, circle of friends, profession, the whole enchilada. For others the bikes are nice garage ornaments and nothing more. Just like some Porsche owners.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:47 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"I just threw my back out at the gym"
way off topic, but i had some back problems last year (weight lifting accident) and had great success with accupuncture and massage therapy.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Randy M
Drifting

My chiropactor's closed today. my wife had a honey do list all ready for the weekend too. D'oh!
Old 04-07-2005, 06:35 PM
mrhude
Racer

I think there's a couple of types of Harley riders too.
1)There's the die-hard fanatic old biker gang type of mentality that rides and drinks hard. Not me.

2)There's the wanabe biker gang types that the die hards can't stand. Not me.

3)There's the guys like me who just love to ride, enjoy the relationship to Porsche, and the looks of the bike. In the old days, around 1992, I would buy a Harley and ride it for a couple of years and then sell it for more than I paid for it. Free riding!! Now that you can buy one off of the dealer floor with no wait, the values have dropped through the floor. If I had the time and were going to tour a lot, I thnk I would have a new Honda Goldwing. Lot's of storage and smooth as silk!! I wear my ballastic riding suit and Simpson helmet, the leather is way to hot!

Have you guys ever heard of the "Iron Butte Club"? A buddy told me about this group of guys where you have to document that you have ridden 1,000 miles in 24 hours. Now that is fanatic. These guys will take off on Friday night and have incredible non-stop trips!!!

I have been to a lot of Harley Rallies and you can have a lot of fun. If you want to go and hang out in nasty bars and chase half naked wild women you can find that, not for me, I'm old enough I'm not sure what to do if I caught one
I always have a ball looking at the bikes people build and checking out the vendors,. I've never had a bad time or a problem in 14 years. The Harley people remind me of the Porsche people except I haven't found anybody with a Porsche Tatoo or the Porsche logo on their GF's underwear, yet . . . . .

Quick Reply: Harley VROD and porsche