Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove at 997S today, God help me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 11:41 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test Drove at 997S today, God help me.

Okay, I am just going to start writing here. Well, went to accountant today for taxes out in Woodland Hills. Was driving by the dealer in the area and decided to pull over and take a look at some 997 action.

So... no sooner do I open ole blu's door and the salesman is front and center mit big smile. He says, wow nice, rare color and a beautiful one to boot. I say thanks and he says can I help you. Thought I would look at a 997 cab if you have one. Yep, we do, in the showroom. So we proceed inside and bingo two sweet little cabs, one standard and one S. Take a seat, he says. Don't mind if I do I reply.

Okay, now this interior is really nice, sorry to all dem folks that have been complaining but it really is top notch and very lux. Not too much, just kinda brings you into the new millennium, ya know? This one didn't have that ugly steering wheel. It had a three point, pretty nice looking wheel with the phone and computer controls where a tip usually has it's controls on the wheel. Don't have to say much about the exterior other than, nice, very nice.

Now, I sit in this lux wagon and Ima thinkin, I could see myself in this little honey. As I sit, I start thinking about all the reasons I need one and all the reasons I don't. Mental ************ at it's best. After contemplating for a while I had an urge for a cigarette. Strange, I don't even smoke.

Salesman was pretty cool so I warm up and start chatting about tracking yada, yada, yada. He finally says, "hey want do we go for a little test drive". Well, hmmm, I sayz, okay but I might regret it. Off we go.

About a mile from the dealer he pulls over and says, " (ah forget the quotes too much hassle) normally I drive a bit longer but you know Porsches so here ya go. He says go over here, there is a nice little undulating S curve ahead. It was his way of giving me the green light so I took it. WOW, dis sum bitch has got some power, yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Easily hit the rev limiter before upshifting to third, it came so fast I wasn't ready for it. Okay, that was really nice. Now up to Topanga, headin uphill through the twisties and I'm jammin, I got this baby jumpin all over the place. I said boy this suspension is sure active. He says, that's the electronic yada, yada. I said turn that crap off, so he did. Now I'm takin it to the edge and it's really feelin like a true Porsche now, what a difference. Why do they even bother with that junk, I hated it. We were cuttin a trail up Topanga and I'm drivin it like the Schu. Why not... I don't own it. I was probably driving the car at 8/10ths right out of the gate. This car handles like a dream and pretty easy to go really fast.

Well I must say, it was really a treat and I had a blast. The salesman was so cool... he didn't say a word and actually seemed to enjoy it. I think I even heard a little squeal of joy pop out at one point. I didn't plan on driving it like that but I could tell he wanted me to so I obliged.

Back to the dealer, the old standard, I will call you when a cab S comes in that I think you may like... and so on. Thanks it was fun and talk to you later.
Get back in my car, take off and think to myself, nice ride. I was thinking about my car!!

Here's the rub... I love that 997 to death and would love to have one. Driving home I enjoyed my car so much that I thought to myself I will just keep the extra 60 grand and keep lovin ol'e blu. May not be as fast but it sure is fun to drive too.

If I could only have both
Old 03-30-2005, 11:47 PM
riviera 93
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

they need our colour or something like it to entice me! e
Old 03-30-2005, 11:50 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Alan,

Are you going to the dark side???
Old 03-30-2005, 11:51 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Originally Posted by riviera 93
they need our colour or something like it to entice me! e
You know it's funny, I was thinking the same thing. If I were to get one, what color would interest me. Probably none. They all have limo colors. Ya better like black or silver. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:53 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Rich, I don't think so. It was really nice but probably could not justify the price since I really LOVE my car. However, I crossed over to the dark side long ago. hehe
Old 03-30-2005, 11:55 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It only takes a test drive doesn't it? The 997 is like a scalpel. Its so tight and solid, with a wicked fast throttle response, did you try it with the sport mode on?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:01 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Yeah, I think it was on. I said boy this suspension is provides a pretty hard ride and I think he said something about that. Said that it stiffens more as needed or something to that effect. Don't know if he turned it off when I asked him to shut down all the electronic crap so I could do the driving. Either way after he pressed some buttons, it was off to the races. I like doing the driving rather than that computer.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:07 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw one on the fwy the other day. They do look nice, especially from the rear. Very agressive. Maybe the 997 will be my kids-done-with-college car.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:11 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Theres a lot you can do with the 60k delta...like buy a 993TT to add to the collection!! I think the 997 is a great car but no real compelling reason right now for me to sell either of my 993s for one (esp as I don't want to make payments)...I'll wait a few years and used prices will fall much like 996 prices have. A 3-4 year old 997 will be an incredible bang for the buck.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:13 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Father of 3
Saw one on the fwy the other day. They do look nice, especially from the rear. Very agressive. Maybe the 997 will be my kids-done-with-college car.
What you should do is tell them that if they get a full scholarship the 993 is theirs...the money you save will let you buy a 997 AND a turbo!
Old 03-31-2005, 12:13 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Handsome indeed. They are very voluptuous and are really wide and meaty. I love the way the fenders look from inside the car, more bulk. If you haven't test driven one yet, you owe yourself a favor just to check it out. Driving is believing.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:14 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

David, true on both counts.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:28 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Alan - this is good to hear from a 993 diehard like you. I gave up my 97 Targa very prematurely (had to cut back). Year and half w/o Porsche, then a Boxster S, then the 04 Targa - all the while I missed the 993, nothing pushed my buttons like it did. But I gotta say the 997S keeps pushing all the right buttons with me, I just love this car.

(You know you could order a Riviera Blue one, don't you!)
Old 03-31-2005, 12:51 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Jim, you can get it in pink if you wanna spend the cash. And... you are correct, the 997S is a sensational car and really a load of fun to drive. Having said that, I really do still love my 993 and on the drive home I wasn't even thinking about the 997, I was thinking how much I love my car and was enjoying driving it. Like I said before, I love them both.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:11 AM
riviera 93
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking Orange ! e

Quick Reply: Test Drove at 997S today, God help me.