Sponsored by:

993 saved me last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 09:22 AM
technivoro.us
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 22 Posts
Unhappy 993 saved me last night

Looks like it's the end of the line for my '96 C2. Last night a 16yo. kid pulled out 40 feet in front of me at an intersection, and I T-boned him pretty hard. Pretty clear cut violation on his part with multiple witnesses.

Luckily everyone involved was ok. The other car's passenger faired the worst, but she was responsive and moving all her extremities. I got checked out at the ER, but only suffered some nasty bruising from the seatbelt.

The 993 took the hit hard, and probably saved my life. The whole front end of the car is crushed, both airbags deployed. Miraculously, there was no movement into the footwell. The firefighters on the scene remarked several times that they'd never seen a wreck like that where the doors on the car still opened. I guess that's a testament to the quality of these cars.

Now I get to deal with the kid's (or more precisely, his mom's) insurance. Anyone have tips on not getting screwed? Should I find as many listings as possible to prove the value of the car? I realize that KBB, Edmunds, etc. are not going to give fair prices on these cars.

-chris
Old 03-25-2005, 09:28 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris - i am VERY sorry to hear of the accident. Im glad you are ok. Its amazing how well made 993's are.
please let us know how you are doing and if anyone can help.
best, rob
Old 03-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

See if you can get the carrier to consider the classified ads in the back of Panorama, they always seem to be a bit on the high side. Bruce Anderson's price guide by make and model that he did a while back in Pano may be helpful as well. The bottom line is that they owe you fair market value.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:20 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Chris: Here's a recent post I made on what I went through last year in a similar situation:

My black 95 C2 coupe with 23k miles was totalled last year (an elderly woman in a minivan pulled right across my path 20 feet in front of me when I was going 45 mph, she was completely at fault).

My insurance company (we both had the same insurance, ironically) offered me $29,000 as a settlement. I was ready for that, and quickly sent them a copy of the current Black Book "Cars of Particular Interest" book, which showed a value of $40,750 for a 95 C2 coupe in "good" condition -- their highest rating. I also included a note from the bodyshop manager stating that my car was low mileage and in excellent condition. I also did a quick online search and located ten 95 C2 coupes with similar mileage, all with asking prices between high 30s and low 40s. (Sometimes, the prices at Willhoit, Premier, RPM, etc., and even Panorama can work for you). I printed those ads and included them.

Their next offer: $40,750. Depending on the carrier, being reasonable and supporting your claim with hard evidence can make a bad situation much easier. I expected to really have to fight to get what the car was worth, but it was just that easy. I simply told them that the NADA books et. al were perfectly fine for valuing a Toyota Camry, but an exotic car like a 911 is a whole different story.

Vic
Old 03-25-2005, 10:46 AM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
Chris: Here's a recent post I made on what I went through last year in a similar situation:

My black 95 C2 coupe with 23k miles was totalled last year (an elderly woman in a minivan pulled right across my path 20 feet in front of me when I was going 45 mph, she was completely at fault).

My insurance company (we both had the same insurance, ironically) offered me $29,000 as a settlement. I was ready for that, and quickly sent them a copy of the current Black Book "Cars of Particular Interest" book, which showed a value of $40,750 for a 95 C2 coupe in "good" condition -- their highest rating. I also included a note from the bodyshop manager stating that my car was low mileage and in excellent condition. I also did a quick online search and located ten 95 C2 coupes with similar mileage, all with asking prices between high 30s and low 40s. (Sometimes, the prices at Willhoit, Premier, RPM, etc., and even Panorama can work for you). I printed those ads and included them.

Their next offer: $40,750. Depending on the carrier, being reasonable and supporting your claim with hard evidence can make a bad situation much easier. I expected to really have to fight to get what the car was worth, but it was just that easy. I simply told them that the NADA books et. al were perfectly fine for valuing a Toyota Camry, but an exotic car like a 911 is a whole different story.

Vic
First off, I'll glad that everyone is OK after an accident like this one. The saying that it always could have been worse is the truth. Sorry to hear about the 993...not only is it an emotional experience to be in an accident, but losing a machine like that is also a huge blow.

The info that Vic posed is excellent and a true testament to why Rennlist is such a great resource. Be ready to go once your insurer sets a value, and have all the paperwork immediately at hand. Work with them in a patient way and I'm sure it will work out for you in the end.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:55 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

First of all, its good that you made it out of the accident with only minor injuries. Obviously that is the only truly inportant issue. Secondly, sorry about your p-car. I think Vic provides an excellent guideline for addressing the insurance company's methodology for your payoff. At the end of the day, the payoff will only be as good as the company that stands behind it but it is important to take the appropriate steps to force them into paying as close to the TRUE market value of your car as you can get.
I guess this is a reminder for all of us to evaluate our own insurance poilicies and make sure we are appropriately covered.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:55 AM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The positioning of the spare wheel in the 993 adds alot to the strength of the car in the event of a front end collision, it probably saved you from serious injury.

Go raise a donut to your spare wheel and thank der Engineers.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:03 AM
neunelf
Racer

Chris,
I see your close by in SAVGA. So sorry to hear you're 993 didn't survive but glad that you did.
Did you suffer any facial injuries from the airbag being deployed? How fast were you going and did you have your seatbelt on or off?
Old 03-25-2005, 11:03 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Wow Chris. Glad you came out of it with only a couple of bruises.... You need offering prices out of the ads, but will also most likely want recent sale info. When you are assembling the info, look at where all the cars are located. If none of them are close by, then also work some transport fee into the settlement.

Good luck...
Old 03-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Another one bites the dust... too bad. Glad to hear this is a safe car and you are ok.

All the best... and get back on the road in a 993 soon.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:10 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Sad to hear of this, but glad you are ok. Your car was like your personal bodyguard, it took a bullet for you. I sure hope you are properly taken care of by their insurance.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:18 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident. I am very glad everyone is okay. I am impressed more and more about how strong these cars are.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Chris,

I am very sorry to hear about your accident. Thank goodness that you only suffered minor bruises and was able to go home. Take it easy and good luck with the Insurance company.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:54 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear about the car, but glad you're ok Chris.

Originally Posted by vjd3
..... My insurance company (we both had the same insurance, ironically) offered me $29,000 as a settlement..... Their next offer: $40,750.
Well handled Vic. If anyone is looking for a used car dealership that charges high prices for Porsches to use as 'comparables' check out Rayco (http://www.raycoeuro.com/html/autos.html). It is a highline dealership near me whose prices can be ridiculous and laughable at times. Here's a thread where a fellow Rennlister talks about how Rayco justified a high price by saying that the car was museum quality (https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=museum+rayco). They don't seem to have any 993s similar to Chris's car, so I guess it won't be any help in this instance.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Show them listings from RPM and Truespeed's website. Also Foreign Cars Italia in North Carolina.

Quick Reply: 993 saved me last night