Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying used bilstein hd - what to check? what should be included?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 04:44 PM
pierre_l
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying used bilstein hd - what to check? what should be included?

Dear all,

I found almost new bilstein hd on ebay and decided to buy them.

I am going to go and pick them up this weekend but was wondering if there was anything that I could check to make sure there isn't any issues with them.

In addition, I was wondering what I should be expecting in terms of parts included.

Thanks a lot,

Pierre
Old 03-16-2005, 04:48 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

I was watching that set on eBay. They dont look that old at all. Check the shock shafts for straightness as well as the shaft threads. Other than that, they should be fine..
Old 03-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Cooter
Advanced

If this is the auction you are referring to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

I would make sure they have the extra thread that allows for lowering the ride height to Euro/RS specs. Or, you can always purchase the lowering collars from Hergesheimer’s that was discussed here recently.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...owering+collar

Also, the springs do not look like the RoW M030 springs that allows for lowered ride height as they have a yellow mark. If I remember correctly, when I installed my M030's, they had green and brown marks on them.
You should, however, be aware that changing just the springs will improve the ride (rebound and compression) only, for the most part. You may get a bit less body roll due to the increased stiffness of the HD's, but the ideal setup is to lower the car with the combination of HD's with extra thread AND upgraded sways. The aforementioned setup, with the bigger sways, really enables you to dial out a lot of the understeer that was dialed in (by design) at the factory and move towards more neutral handling characteristics. You can then adjust corner balancing and alignment for more oversteer if thats what you're looking for.

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/main.htm

Hope that helps, but rest assured; if you are replacing the stock Monroe crap that was on there, the HD's (alone) will be a VAST improvement over what you're used to.

Last edited by Cooter; 03-16-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pierre_l
Dear all,

I found almost new bilstein hd on ebay and decided to buy them.

I am going to go and pick them up this weekend but was wondering if there was anything that I could check to make sure there isn't any issues with them.

In addition, I was wondering what I should be expecting in terms of parts included.

Thanks a lot,

Pierre
Make sure that they include the drop links for the rear sway bar. The stock drop link is different and you must use the one provided with the rear HD shocks.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:39 PM
pierre_l
Instructor

thanks for your answers, I will use eibachs springs that I already have.

anyone has a picture of the drop links mentioned (I am originally french and not sure what drop links mean...)?

Thanks,

Pierre
Old 03-16-2005, 06:59 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by pierre_l
thanks for your answers, I will use eibachs springs that I already have.

anyone has a picture of the drop links mentioned (I am originally french and not sure what drop links mean...)?

Thanks,

Pierre
Pierre,

It is the metal piece that links the rear shocks with the sway bar. Here is a pic of a similar one on a 914. On your HD's the link gets connected to the aluminum bracket that is on the rear shock.
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Make sure that they include the drop links for the rear sway bar. The stock drop link is different and you must use the one provided with the rear HD shocks.
I didn't realize that HD's required different drop links. I've been looking at a set for my ROW M030 setup that is now about 4 years old, but thought that all I needed was the HD shocks themselves.

If you buy HD's new, do the correct drop links come with them?

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Cooter
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993

If you buy HD's new, do the correct drop links come with them?

Thanks for the info.
If you are only changing the shocks, you do not need new drop links. The longer drop links are only required if you lower the car substantially and change the sways.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:01 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Yes, they come with them. You should use them, even if you leave your current sway bar.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:46 AM
Cooter
Advanced

Jeff - I'm not sure who you plan on ordering the the HD's from, but it does not look like Gert "includes" new/different drop links when you order JUST the Bilstein HD's:
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93089.htm

I'm sure he has them (droplinks) and his service/delivery time is outstanding, but I don't see why you need to change droplinks if you're only swapping shocks - especially if you already have the RoW M030 option.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:27 PM
pierre_l
Instructor

thanks for your comments cooter,

I currently have the normal us setting (noo row m030) and will be going to the eibach lowering
Old 03-17-2005, 06:49 PM
JD83
Intermediate

Default Just got an e mail from Gert

I have HD's and HR springs being delivered on Monday from Gert...saw this
post and sent him off a note and he confirmed that the HD's he sells come with the droplinks.
Can't wait to loose the SUV ride height!
Old 03-17-2005, 07:54 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

I just came back from the shop to pick up my car after H&R springs and HD's setup.

The ride is simply amazing! Night and day from my prvious setup. Ride Height is actually perfect for me. We made it 25" at rear and 25.25" at front. I had 24.75" at front before and it was rubbing some at the fenders on heavy compressed turns.

You won't regret it. This car rides as it should have from the factory now.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Cooter
Advanced

Originally Posted by JD83
I have HD's and HR springs being delivered on Monday from Gert...saw this
post and sent him off a note and he confirmed that the HD's he sells come with the droplinks.
Can't wait to loose the SUV ride height!
Joe, no question you're gonna loose the "SUV ride height" with the H&R springs. Those suckers really bring it down low. I think that's why Gert includes new droplinks, cause the H&R's allow you to go so low...You'll love it man, as Cabrio 993 said, the difference is night and day. The one thing I really noticed about the suspension change was that it allows you to throttle steer so much better. With the stock suspension it was a totally pig mid-turn. Now I can really use my right foot to balance car whereas before, you had to be perfect on turn in or you'd find yourself in a whole heap of trouble. Have fun guys !!
Old 03-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Johnny_B
Instructor

I just had mine done too w/the with the HD & H&R combo - love it - although I do get rub on the fronts when in tight turns...

Quick Reply: buying used bilstein hd - what to check? what should be included?