993 Forum 1995-1998

Open face helmet OK for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 02:10 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Open face helmet OK for DE?

Or do you need closed face? Any brand recommendations?
Old 03-09-2005, 08:31 AM
hawk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

texas911...you might want to check the 993 archives, I remember a big thread on this subject
Old 03-09-2005, 08:34 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

As far as I know, open face is only permitted for AX. Track requires full face. Different areas seem to have different rules. Check locally to be sure.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:26 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

texas911,

They allow open face helmets for AX's and DE's in our region (Maverick) and pretty sure they allow it in yours (Lone Star). I would still go with a closed face helmet, my chin feels safer. Anyway, try before you buy. Different helmets fit differently, like everything else.

George

Last edited by George A; 03-09-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

I think most clubs are flexible w/ either choice. Many guys use open face w/ the POC, for example. I used on for two years, but have recently switched to a full face helmet. Personally speaking, I would opt for a closed face helmet for safety reasons.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:51 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Do a search on this issue in this and the Race/DE forum; there was a big discussion of this recently. The SCCA is now recommending OPEN faced helmets for airbag cars. I'm not convinced that's a good idea, but what do i know...that's their recommendation right now. Check your local rules.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:20 PM
hawk993
Racer

The SCCA recommendation is idiotic...sounds to me like a knee jerk reaction to limited survey/results or probably more accurately law suits. What type of study did they do in showing open face helmets vs closed helmets in accidents? Check out what the pros where (the majority), I know there is no airbag in the pro race cars. I'll keep wearing my closed face helmet.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

Another gripe. Why the hell are full faced, snell certified motorcycle helmets not good enough for a DE? Please enlighten me from my ignorance.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:33 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see the benefits of having a full face helmet in an enclosed car, especially in Texas, its to hot to wear a full face. At least not for a DE or AutoX. I don't plan on racing anyway. Thanks for the, ahem, heads up.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:43 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Another gripe. Why the hell are full faced, snell certified motorcycle helmets not good enough for a DE? Please enlighten me from my ignorance.
I'm not sure, but the answer is probably here:
http://www.smf.org

My understanding is that it has something to do with the types of impacts. Motorcycle helmets are maybe designed for multiple impacts with auto helmets designed more for one biggie, or something along those lines. Again, I don't know. I'd agree it sounds silly, though.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:53 PM
hawk993
Racer

Re" don't see the benefits of having a full face helmet in an enclosed car, especially in Texas, its to hot to wear a full face. At least not for a DE or AutoX."

In a full face helmet the helmet hits the dash or steering wheel and absorbs the impact during an accident.

In an open face helmet your teeth, nose, chin, cheek bones, etc...hit the dash or steering wheel and absorb the impact during an accident.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
I thought the difference is fire protection. Motorcycle helmets do not have proper fire protection. I could be wrong...
Old 03-09-2005, 03:29 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Originally Posted by hawk993
Re" don't see the benefits of having a full face helmet in an enclosed car, especially in Texas, its to hot to wear a full face. At least not for a DE or AutoX."

In a full face helmet the helmet hits the dash or steering wheel and absorbs the impact during an accident.

In an open face helmet your teeth, nose, chin, cheek bones, etc...hit the dash or steering wheel and absorb the impact during an accident.
Whilst I'm not racing (though I've done 1 AX!) I can see two trains of thought.

1) in a car WITHOUT an airbag, the full face is sensible (no teeth left in dashboard),

and

2) in a car WITH an airbag, you suddenly have a bigger mass hitting it, and as the (linked) SCCA (?) reasonably determined, this significantly INCREASES the risk of totally breaking your neck... race days are then over...

After all, our 993 cars have FIRST generation airbags (full force!) and you are recommended to sit as far back from the airbag as possible in these scenarios...

Seems sensible to me... full face for vehicle WITHOUT an airbag, open face for one WITH.

Just my logical $0.02 conclusion. (but what do I know!)
Old 03-09-2005, 04:33 PM
hawk993
Racer

RE"Whilst I'm not racing (though I've done 1 AX!) I can see two trains of thought.

1) in a car WITHOUT an airbag, the full face is sensible (no teeth left in dashboard),

and

2) in a car WITH an airbag, you suddenly have a bigger mass hitting it, and as the (linked) SCCA (?) reasonably determined, this significantly INCREASES the risk of totally breaking your neck... race days are then over...

After all, our 993 cars have FIRST generation airbags (full force!) and you are recommended to sit as far back from the airbag as possible in these scenarios...

Seems sensible to me... full face for vehicle WITHOUT an airbag, open face for one WITH.

Just my logical $0.02 conclusion. (but what do I know!) "

The SCCA DID NOT say you would break your neck, they were talking about possibley fracturing your jaw...

DATE: November 16, 2004
TO: All Participants
SUBJECT: Airbag Advisory

It has been brought to the attention of SCCA Technical Services that the use
of full-face or closed-face helmets while driving vehicles with active airbag
restraint systems may result in injuries in the event of a crash that deploys
the airbag. Because of the location of the steering wheel relative to a
driver’s position, the airbag axis is on a level with the driver’s chin. In a
crash with airbag deployment, contact with the chin area of a full-face
helmet can be so powerful “that the risk of fractures to the jaw cannot be
ruled out“ (Hubert Gramling, FIA Institute, FT3/AF, 18.5.1999). This applies
to vehicle that may be used in Solo, RallyCross, High Performance Car
Control Clinics, etc.

Therefore, it is highly recommended that full-face helmets not be used in
vehicles with functional airbag systems. Potentially more restrictive language
is currently being considered for 2005, which could appear in an early 2005
issue of FasTrack. If you have any questions, please contact the SCCA at
(800) 770-2055.

This is how rumors are started...you went from possibly breaking a jaw to breaking a neck!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:10 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pjconner
I thought the difference is fire protection. Motorcycle helmets do not have proper fire protection. I could be wrong...
That's what I always understood the reason to be also.

Quick Reply: Open face helmet OK for DE?