Sponsored by:

customized rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry customized rear end

... not exactly what you wish for when you go back to your parked car...very upsetting - the car hasn't even turned 30K miles and didn't have a scratch on it. I am almost 100% sure it is the handywork of a Pickup or SUV because of the height of the bumper. Anyway since there are no witnesses or "polite" notes telling who is responsible for this beautiful deed I am S*#@ and I will have to file with my insurance - anyone have suggestions on how to handle this? Also, anyone know a good bodyshop in Austin, Texas

Can't believe this is happening again, my XJ R suffered a similar fate 3 years ago but at least the person had the guts to wait for me and face the music - I was not happy but respected his ethics... When I see these idiots driving those damned monster SUV makes me mad, they could could probably hit my car and not even know it...
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2005, 11:20 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow, I am sorry to read this. Very sorry to read this.

Although not to my 993, similar damage happened to an S-10 I had years ago. I came out to my truck after some errands and found that some A-hole did the same type of damage.

This truly sucks!
Old 03-01-2005, 11:29 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Jag,

Wow, that sucks !! If it makes you feel any better, the sheet metal work that will need to be done is relatively minor - a first rate body shop will do a superb job. Also, your color (G'White?) is a cinch to match and blend. With the right shop, you'll never know someone "redesigned" the rear end of your 993.

BTW, this is a good time to adios the bumperettes and install a Euro rear bumper cover. Treat yourself, you deserve it.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry about that. the same thing happened to my wife a couple months ago. a big something or other got her Mini in a parking lot. we were fortunate enough that a friend recognized my wife's car, saw what happened, and flagged the woman down. she claimed to have not realized what she did.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:42 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

Ouch! Sorry hear about your misfortune. As mentioned above, it should be relatively easy for a good body shop to fix it good as new.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:10 AM
jdoc7
Pro

So sorry to see that! I'm so paranoid about parking my car for any length of time in public areas. It doesn't matter where you are or how many open spaces are available, somehow these A-holes seem to find the nice ones. Hope all turns out well.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:20 AM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Franck,

Sorry about your bumper, where did this occur?

My paint/body guy's name is Milton Neely. He works independently out of his home and is located in Leander. He used to (still might) do body work for the Beasley dealership. I know most of the local PCA members use Sterling which I think is in Dripping Springs. Search the HCRPCA yahoo message group.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:25 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Happened to my dad's Miata last weekend. Not a 993, but still upsetting to come out and find no note or witnesses. Sorry that happened to your car.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:43 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Sorry to hear and see your misfortune. Good Luck.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:47 AM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup, that would be Austin drivers -- worst drivers in the entire world!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:53 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Painful to see that pic, whomever wacked you hit it pretty damn hard.
Now about your anger directed at SUV's....You bumper is not noticably high, that could have just as easily been an Accord, a hybrid, or a Hummer. It wasn't the car, it was the driver....
Old 03-02-2005, 01:47 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

God, that would pi$$ me off!! I hope you have a better temper than me, because if I didn't know who did it my blood pressure would just go up that much more. AAARRGGHH!!

Good luck finding a great body shop, and go ahead and treat yourself to the no bumperette euro bumper. Take a bad thing and turn it into a good thing.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:45 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Sorry about your car - get yourself a euro bumper out of the deal. Now about your "idiotic" comment concerning the SUV's, I think you are out of line there Cochise, especially since you have no clue what happened.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:30 AM
Tour18
Banned

Awwwwwwwww Man! You have my condolences. But don't worry. It can be made like new.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:33 AM
Johnny_B
Instructor

There could be good lessons learned here:

1> Do you call the fuz at the site and have them fill out a report for ins purposes? I think so, but what if you did not discover it until you got back to the house?

2> This is where the ins deductible kicks in - how much is worth it? Mine is at $500 right now and would prob cover this damage at a 3rd party shop...

3> Does this make everyone feel like you have to park a half block away from the crowd - in your own private lot - then get keyed because you drawn attention? (I hear keying a hot rod is a gang initiation)

4> Sure, he can get a rear euro bumber but what about the front? More cash spent...

No matter what, this is going to cost poor Jagbuf cold hard $$$ and it sucks. Personally, a forensic scientist and PI would be my route!

Quick Reply: customized rear end