993 Forum 1995-1998

Make my own RSR's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Make my own RSR's?

I'd love to order a set of pipes from Robin, but I simply do not have the money.

...correction. I do have the money, but the wife will not let me spend anything on the car. It seems the new wheels and tires have 'capped' me out for some time on P-car expenses.

So, I've been toying with the idea of buying a set of used mufflers and hacking them up. From reading Robins site I see he is doing this on a 'really not making a profit' basis, but he is not really clear with exactly what he changes inside the mufflers which makes me think he is, to some degree, trying to protect how he makes the conversions.

For me this would be one of those fun, 'hey give it a shot' type projects. If I can find a dirt cheap set of cores, I'll just open them up and see what logically makes sense. I've got to get just a bit more sound out of this motor!
My old SC had a dual in dual out flowmaster (custom made by yours truely) and I so miss the growl.

If anyone has a set lying around, let me know. Or if you just have one, it would be a great 'test mule' because I refuse to hack up my current pipes.

I just love projects like this.... I start getting the "2001: A Space Odyssey" theme song in my head while thinking, "muffler guts.... the final frontier..."
Old 02-28-2005, 10:54 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

That's what I did. Bought a set from Parts Heaven, and played around with them. It sounds a lot better than stock. I have my original set, so I think I may do another version, and try to make them sound like supercups!!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

See, that's what I'm talking about!
Heck yeah, cut 'em up.

Before you know it, I'll be walking around, hands up above my shoulders, saying "nurse; scalpel... suture..." And then we can all walk around introducing ourselves like Chevy Chase and Dan akroid in 'Spys like Us': "doctor... doctor... doctor... doctor, doctor... "

I've seen a few sets go for cheap on eBay. They need to be cheap to fly under the ever-deadly "WIFE-RADAR".
Old 02-28-2005, 11:30 PM
rockstjarna
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to start by saying I have no skill to open a muffler and put it back together without spending the rest of my time worrying on day my Porsche will be a bon fire

I am interested in a set of RSRs and I am very curious as to what gets changed.

I'd have ordered a set by now if it wasn't for the fact that I worry about buying a set of 7+ year old mufflers with 60k miles on them and paying around $500 after shipping. (60k because they say they try to match the milage in your car)

My car was abused and I'm trying to restore it. I don't need "new" parts that need to be replaced in a year or two.

How about a set of RSRs with 3k miles on them for the same price
Old 02-28-2005, 11:40 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

In 2001, when I got my car, I thought I would do my own version of RSR's, but I just let the master himself do them. ABSOLUTELY no regrets! RSR's are like wine, they better with age
Old 02-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Gentlemen,
Meet... the enemy

She is smart, cunning (another word for smart) and can smell a 'Leland scheme' to purchase Porsche parts from a mile away. She is in Texas for two weeks and is probably already getting a slight twich in her right eye... and thinking, "something's not right in the universe... he's wanting to buy something else for that car"
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2005, 12:31 AM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

I would trust Robin on this one. Hundreds with no issue and a no hassle return if you don't like. You may find by the time you buy used, work on them, and at worse case scenario melt part of the bumper because of the heat ..etc, that in the end was not worth it.
If you decide to try your own version, let us all know how it turns out!
Old 03-01-2005, 12:59 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
Gentlemen,
Meet... the enemy

She is smart, cunning (another word for smart) and can smell a 'Leland scheme' to purchase Porsche parts from a mile away. She is in Texas for two weeks and is probably already getting a slight twich in her right eye... and thinking, "something's not right in the universe... he's wanting to buy something else for that car"
Maybe she has a secret Rennlist Membership..
Old 03-01-2005, 01:11 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Send her to talk to me while shes here in TX. I'm sure after the sensory overload of seeing/hearing about my addiction to modification, her right eye wont twitch until you plan to go out and buy an entire "spare" car to tinker with.

Gentlemen,
Meet... the enemy

Old 03-01-2005, 01:24 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

I just installed Robin's RSR muffler on my 993TT. First let me say that I was really skeptical as I currently have Fabspeed bypasses and I love them. So yesterday I installed the RSR and when I fired up the car I was pleasantly surprised to the deep aggressive sounds of these RSR. It’s not as loud as the FS but its no wimpy OEM either.

So if anyone has any doubt about the RSR... I can tell you that the sounds are awesome and lighter than OEM too.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:24 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Princeton, if my wife saw your car she could potentially put 2 and 2 together. If she had the slighted clue that your 911 represents what the future has in store for mine, I'd have divorce papers FedEx'ed to me.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:25 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Don't get me wrong guys. If I had covert cash saved up (spent it all on the wheels) I'd order a set in a heartbeat. I'm looking for a cheap alternative.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:31 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

Tony's right about the Fabspeed bypasses. I saw their video with the Supercup bypass pipes on their RS Clubsport car and that thing really howled. Instant inspiration to get them as well as the urge to buy a 993 now..
Old 03-01-2005, 05:19 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get me wrong guys. If I had covert cash saved up (spent it all on the wheels) I'd order a set in a heartbeat. I'm looking for a cheap alternative.
Ah, now is the time to clean out your garage and sell stuff on eBay or Rennlist...leave any proceeds in your PayPal acct to fund your secret stash to fund future mods.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:09 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
Ah, now is the time to clean out your garage and sell stuff on eBay or Rennlist...leave any proceeds in your PayPal acct to fund your secret stash to fund future mods.

Heeeeeyyyyyy, thats my secret. Ahhh, the black budget...

Quick Reply: Make my own RSR's?