Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 RS 3.8 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 11:07 AM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re the differences between the 993 RS and the SY GT3 RS conversions-- well, at 2,600 lbs. and with well over 300 h.p., the 993 was really something. Fantastic handling and throttle response. With a good driver (i.e., my mechanic) it was as fast or faster than a Cup car.

Since I bought the yellow GT3 it has never left the shop, which is hustling to finish up the RS conversion by Spring. I did test a stock GT3 loaner from Porsche at the track, and it was super-torquey and very nice, but felt quite heavy compared to my 993. I am currently trying to sweat 110 lbs. off of the GT3 to reach RS spec, and it is virtually impossible with a rollcage in there since you're not allowed to strip the interior in stock class. Hopefully, I'll get to drive the car on the track in March when we try to dial in the suspension.

Back to the 993 RS-- Prices have shot up and the real deal is going for about $90k in Europe now for a really good, low-mi. example. You can do a top-flight domestic conversion for maybe a little under that in the U.S. (The emphasis is on "top flight"). For the same money you can also buy a stock GT3 with no miles and fly around the street or track. Lotsa ways to go here... Personally, I think the look and feel of the 993 RS is unsurpassed--it's really a beautiful car to look at and drive.

Lee in D.C.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since I can't (at least at the moment) own a real 993 RS, my plan is to slowly convert my 993 C2 into a 993 RSC (C = Clone).

It's not gonna be exact copy of RS, just sort of "ultimate 993", model that Porsche would've offered if I was in charge in Stuttgart. In my opinion, some ways better than RS.

It will (well, basically already does) look like RS but has TT motor instead of 3.8 n/a and weight even less than real RS. Some details are from RS (i.e. aero parts) while some from RSCS (i.e. steering wheel) and some just something else (PSS-9 suspension, with monoballs camber plates & RS sways).

I'm slowly doing the modifications as I own the car (when I can't drive anymore, this car will be passed to my son) and in future, when it's time to rebuild the motor, TT engine, or this engine rebuilt & converted into TT, will go in.

End result never will be "real RS" and that's not the point, there are things to improve in RS or thing that I think are better (i.e. that steering wheel) and once the motor is in, it will blow the pants off of any stock RS.

It will take long time to "get there" but I'm having fun doing it!
Old 02-15-2005, 01:19 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

It will take long time to "get there" but I'm having fun doing it!
I am with you Finn, exactly what I am doing except mine will be an RS/CS. I will have to wait and see what happens to my motor over the years to determine whether or not a 3.8 will go in there ot a Turbo. Likely a 3.8 at this point but ya never know!

It sure is fun evloving this car and driving it on the track at each step!!!!
Old 02-15-2005, 01:22 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Hi Finn,

Just wondering - why the desire to go with a tt motor over super charging? For a stock part? reliability? Something else? I'm interested as I will add HP to mine at some point and am constatnly wrestling around with the different options.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kary993
I am with you Finn, exactly what I am doing except mine will be an RS/CS. I will have to wait and see what happens to my motor over the years to determine whether or not a 3.8 will go in there ot a Turbo. Likely a 3.8 at this point but ya never know!

It sure is fun evloving this car and driving it on the track at each step!!!!
So now we just wait which one of us blows a motor first?!

OK, hopefully it takes a while but when it's time, it will be something.

I agree, I like evolving this car to way I think it should be!
Old 02-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by akolodesh
Hi Finn,

Just wondering - why the desire to go with a tt motor over super charging? For a stock part? reliability? Something else? I'm interested as I will add HP to mine at some point and am constatnly wrestling around with the different options.
Hello,

I have nothing against being experimental (hell no!) but I personally would rather go with Turbo instead supercharge because it would be more reliable (because the engine is/will be built to be Turbo, not as adding Charger to a motor that's meant to be n/a) and just because it's the way Porsche traditionally does these things (Turbo instead of supercharge).

Way I see it, turbo is the "race" way of getting more hp, as where as supercharging is the "street" way for more hp.

Last but not least, Porsche & Turbocharging go back 30+ years,
way aftermarket companies do n/a 993 motors with supercharger go back only few.

There's 30 years difference in experience & development.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2005, 07:21 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

good point Finn. Makes a lot of sense. In this case do you simply swap out the motors? How do you know you are getting a quality TT motor. Is it usually a rebuild to insure some level of standardized quality? I would be really afraid to put in a motor that's not up to par after babying mine with 3k mile oil changes and "spirited driving" past that magic 5k on the tach on a daily basis.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:24 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Does anybody add the turbos to a 3.8 liter engine. Just thinking of ideas here. I wonder what the pricing difference would be to change these items out at rebuild time - go with the 3.8 kit, lower the compression ratio, strengthen some of the components with race oriented parts and add the turbos. Is it possible or just really out there?
Old 02-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

3.8l Andial TT: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/171726-first-post-a-thank-you.html
Old 02-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Alex,

Don't know for sure yet but most likely when my motor is starting to "go", I'll start looking crashed, or stolen TT's, or just motor from TT.
Getting wrecked TT would probably be the best thing since then you at least know the mileage and maybe even the overall condition of the car. And might even be able to start the motor.
Not to mention you might be able to sell some parts forward and maybe keep some for yourself.

Always has risks of course but still worth the risks imo.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:32 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

ok, now remember that 3.8 Andial TT - oh no no no no - that is the BOMB!!!!!!!! Sorry Sachin and others that have supercharged their cars - they are all awesome but I now have a new favorite car to emulate next winter - 3.8 Andial TT engine - I have to find out how much that mod will cost. Ok I'm afraid to find out!!!! I hate this slippery slope.

Quick Reply: 993 RS 3.8 Conversion