Sponsored by:

Best "fit" for a guy my size

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 05:57 PM
greglionb
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best "fit" for a guy my size

I'm sad to admit, I've never actually driven (or even sat in) a 993 and I'm a bit concerned I may not fit...

I'm 6'4" / 225lbs and the 996 is just barely big enough w/ the seat all the way back. In fact, I'd say its a bit tight.

I've been trying for the last week to find a 993 to sit in so I can see if I fit or not but the only one I can find locally is a narrow body targa w/ tiptronic. I wasn't sure if the targa might be "different" than a C4S, which is the direction I'm leaning in.

So, is a 993 do-able for a guy my size?
Old 02-11-2005, 06:16 PM
jberb55
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm 6'5" / 240lbs, and thoroughly enjoy my bone stock 97 C2S. Gave up my '01 S4 to get the 993.

Do I wish it had more room? Sure. I wished the same thing for my Audi. I haven't ever been in a fun car that I didn't wish for more room. We're freaks size-wise. Some day I'd like to get some seats that give me more headroom to accomodate my big helmeted mellon at DEs (it has regular non-sport seats). Overall, it feels small only when I'm getting in and out of it. Circus clowns getting out of their undersized cars always comes to mind. When driving I forget all about it. I've done both long (1k mi) roadtrips and DEs.

My advise. Don't just sit in it. See if you can find one to drive.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 390 Posts

I am 6'5" (6'6" with former hair) and 225. I fit fine, but then again wonder if I am just accustomed to being cramped no matter what vehicle. I understand the seats can be physically moved back a bolt hole which may gain an inch or so. I haven't done this, but it is on the agenda... every inch counts.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:21 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you live?.. perhaps a rennlister can help.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:24 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

I sure hope you guys have moved your seats back to the second set of predrilled holes. Do a search here and on the 964 list for the procedure-which is also in Adrian's 964 book. Relatively easy job an more leg room.

Al
Old 02-11-2005, 06:30 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

you won't have any issue with the weight part of the equation. I don't think height should be an issue either. I'm 6'2" 245 with no problems on the driver side. passenger leg room can be a little cramped for me though, which is why I stay on the driver's side . Got that wife? you ride shotgun only!!
Old 02-11-2005, 06:36 PM
greglionb
Instructor

When I was test driving the 996, I asked them about moving the seats back and they said you couldn't but that you could in the "older" cars. I wasn't sure if that included the 993, but I guess it does. That's great to know. How about the steering wheel? Can you fit your knees under it comfortably? I know its fixed in the 993, so that's a potential concern too.

I didn't want to drive the tip targa for that reason because its much easier to drive cramped in an automatic that it is a manual and I really wanted to get a feel for the whole package.

Also, anyone want to offer a direct comparison b/w 993 and 996? If the 996 feels "tight" I assume the 993 will too? Course, its a sports car, not a Yukon, so I guess it should feel "cozy"
Old 02-11-2005, 06:38 PM
jberb55
Instructor

I've considered moving the seat back to the second set of holes, but worry that the roof is lower at that point... A tradeoff of headroom for legroom? You may find luck with this... Is your height in your legs or torso?

Looking back, I wish I had spent more time to find a 993 without a sunroof. I understand they exist, but are hard to find like unicorns or pretty girls you don't have to lean over to kiss.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The targa definitely has more headroom. So it is not a good comparison.

I am 6'4", but a scrawny 175 lbs. I fit very well in my Targa and have not seen the need to move the seat rails back. My car is for weekends only, and I drive pretty aggressively and like the forward seat position. If I was going cross-country, I might consider moving the seats back.

In my 964 coupe with roof, it was tight on the headroom. I could not wear a helmet in that car. My father owns the car now and had the seat rails moved back. He raves about the extra legroom and has not complained about the headroom being compromised. He is "only" 6'2" though.

Good luck.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:45 PM
jberb55
Instructor

I don't have a problem with the steering wheel, but understand your question. I wanted to drive a BMW M Coupe which also doesn't have an adjustable wheel, but couldn't find a seating position that didn't have my legs digging into the bottom of the wheel.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:48 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Funny, I don't have that headroom problem during nice weather. As too the seats, if you want to start down the slippery slope, there are some other seats that are lower that can be fitted in the 993-again check for past threads.

Al
Old 02-11-2005, 06:50 PM
kary993
Drifting

I am 6"3 and weigh 230# and certainly have had issues with the stock set up and really had issues with the racing set up (wearing a helmet). My issue is my torso is really long so head room becomes an issue even without a helmet on in a stock set up 993.

For folks with long legs the steering wheel becomes an issue though many folks move their seats far too far back to have the proper driving position. For those that have the proper driving position the steering wheel usually hits their legs since the 993 has a fixed steering column and wheel angle.

So I would recommend that you decide what you are going to use th car for, street only, street and tack, or track only and then get yourelf in the proper driving position to determine if you really fit in the car. Talking from experience, I ended up spending a few thousand dollars over the years changing set ups to make myself fit in the car. I finally arrived at a good result after removing the sun roof and mounting the seat to the floor for head room and proper driving position.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

6' 4", 245 here and the second set of holes was a terrific find. It is only an inch, but it makes all the difference in the world. Knees fit fine. Like they said above, Getting in and out is a little clownish, but you get used to it.

Good Luck on your search.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:59 PM
greglionb
Instructor

Originally Posted by kary993
I am 6"3 and weigh 230# and certainly have had issues with the stock set up and really had issues with the racing set up (wearing a helmet). My issue is my torso is really long so head room becomes an issue even without a helmet on in a stock set up 993.

For folks with long legs the steering wheel becomes an issue though many folks move their seats far too far back to have the proper driving position. For those that have the proper driving position the steering wheel usually hits their legs since the 993 has a fixed steering column and wheel angle.

So I would recommend that you decide what you are going to use th car for, street only, street and tack, or track only and then get yourelf in the proper driving position to determine if you really fit in the car. Talking from experience, I ended up spending a few thousand dollars over the years changing set ups to make myself fit in the car. I finally arrived at a good result after removing the sun roof and mounting the seat to the floor for head room and proper driving position.

Good luck!
Well I certainly hope I don't have to go that far, but yes, I would like to get this car on the track one day, so the helmet issue only adds to the conundrum and I really don't want to go the convertible route.

I didn't notice headroom being an issue in the 996, but its easy to find one of those to slip into, might stop by the dealer on the way home in fact. To answer an earlier post, I would say my height is more in my legs than torso, but not dramatically so.

So in the end, it sounds like I will be right on the border which means I won't know until I try I suppose...

Also, I just paid for a 1 year membership (feel like I've already gotten my money's worth), but the online form crashed when I submitted my CC info. My status doesn't appear to have changed and I haven't gotten an email confirming the payment... who should I email?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Go here for membership help:

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-premium-member-help-account-and-membership-issues-only-119/

Quick Reply: Best "fit" for a guy my size