Sponsored by:

Best "fit" for a guy my size

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 11:41 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I see that the giant convention is in full swing...
Old 02-13-2005, 12:02 AM
greglionb
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDP993
I am 6'7" and pushing close to 240 . I find the 993 a bit tight but have put in 400 miles at a stretch. I am going to put Gt3 seats as soon as they are delivered in search of more leg room.

Going with a smaller steering wheel such as the Techart 320mm or 340mm also helps a great deal. I really love the 993. With a little bit of work it can fit some pretty good size people.
That's a fantastic idea, hadn't thought of that. I think between moving the seat back to the second holes and potentially installing a little smaller wheel, I can make it work.

Thanks again for everyone's insights.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:13 AM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving the seat mount back is a good thing

It gives significantly more room, about an inch. It makes the driver's rear seat useless for anything other than a sack of groceries, however (i.e., no nephews or nieces need apply for rides on that side). Moving the seat back made the difference, at least for me, between uncomfortable drives and tolerable drives. Still, my wife's Saab 9-5 is infinitely better for comfortable drives. The 997 is much more civilized in the space department.

Mike
Old 02-15-2005, 12:44 AM
greglionb
Instructor

Talking

Round #2

As I mentioned at one point, there is a 993 Targa at a dealership nearby. Still frustrated by my first time in the saddle, I dropped by to see how this one "fit".

First, this car was in MUCH better shape than the last one. I guessed on the seat position (way back, low as I could get it... duh) before getting in and had a much better time of things. Moving the seat back to the 2nd postion would definently give me almost a perfect position but which will allow a more upright rake, which should give me more headroom.

Only issue in the Targa was the small footwell and relative lack of a dead peddle. I've got big feet (which could probably be its own thread) so that's something I'll have to deal with...

Otherwise, I've read everything I can find lately on the 993 C4S (just ordered an original 1996 brochure off ebay...), 996 C4S, and 997 and the 993 seems like the right car to own if you intend to keep it for a very long time, as I do. I like both 996 and 997. I could see myself in 996 C4 as a daily driver actually. But I don't want a daily driver, I want something that make me grin like a kid that's getting away with something. Just shutting the door on one of these things makes me do that...

Soooooo glad I went buy to sit in that Targa...

My edit: "by"...
Old 02-15-2005, 09:22 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Nah, it sounds like "buy" is becoming more and more appropriate. Do-just for your info-do a search on the problems with some Targa tops. I really am not knowledgible in that area but know it has come up.

Good luck

Al
Old 02-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Maineiac
Nah, it sounds like "buy" is becoming more and more appropriate. Do-just for your info-do a search on the problems with some Targa tops. I really am not knowledgible in that area but know it has come up.

Good luck

Al
OK Al, if you dog the Targa, I am going to have to take you off my AZ Sunday Drives mailing list....

My Targa rattles occationally, but only when closed. And it does make a bit more wind noise at 120 MPH. But the extra head room and the breeze is nice.

I don't know about leaks due to the dry climate here. And when it does rain, this car sits in the garage. You certainly experience more rain in Atlanta.

Intertesting point, I sat in the 996 Targa today at the dealer an it had LESS headroom with top open.

Good luck.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:22 PM
greglionb
Instructor

Originally Posted by pjconner
OK Al, if you dog the Targa, I am going to have to take you off my AZ Sunday Drives mailing list....

My Targa rattles occationally, but only when closed. And it does make a bit more wind noise at 120 MPH. But the extra head room and the breeze is nice.

I don't know about leaks due to the dry climate here. And when it does rain, this car sits in the garage. You certainly experience more rain in Atlanta.

Intertesting point, I sat in the 996 Targa today at the dealer an it had LESS headroom with top open.

Good luck.
Actually, its funny that the only 993 I can find on a dealer's lot in Atlanta is a Targa, probably the rarest of the bunch...

I'm really focused on a C4S, but the Targa is a neat ride too. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:49 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

OH NO!! 3200 miles from my baby and I've offended a nice guy with a chance for a ride I am humbled.

Really- I think the Targa is a fantastic looking car-and makes a lot more sense then my Cab will in the Valley of the Sun-which by the way has been in reduced supply since I moved here in late December. I was not and will not degrade the Targa and the same things that make it a great car to own in the desert make it a great car in Georgia. There are historic problems unique to all of our beloved 993s. I was just advocating for getting all of the advice possible to avoid surprises later.

Do I still qualify for my ride???

Al
Old 02-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

OK Al, you are on probation. To clear that up, you need to run with us when you get your car back from the frozen tundra.

Sorry to hijack...

Quick Reply: Best "fit" for a guy my size