Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best "fit" for a guy my size

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 07:04 PM
greglionb
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clicked on the link and it said I didn't have the privledges to access that page.

I'm guessing my membership didn't get processed?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:08 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am 6' 4" tall and 240 pounds. I fit easily into my 993, expecially compared to my previous 1989 Carrera coupe. I do find it easier to get into the car by depressing the clutch with my right foot in order to slide my knee under the steering wheel. My feet do not fit between the pedals so this makes things MUCH easier. The headroom is a bit tight with my helmet on for D.E.'s, but I just tilt the seat back a little more.

However, if you feel cramped in a 996, the 993 is definitely smaller.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:47 PM
greglionb
Instructor

Ok, so I decided to swing by my local P-dealer and check out the 996 again for headroom. Turns out, its better than I remember, plenty of room for a helmet.

I ask the salesman if they see many 993's on the lot and he said maybe 3 a year... Just as I'm backing out to leave, what should pull up but a 993 C2. I took a chance and asked him if he would mind my slipping behind the wheel for a sec. Sure enough (like so many P owners) he was a really nice guy and didn't mind a bit...

Uh oh.

Whereas the 996 felt like I was safely snug (not cramped) and in a perfect position to drive, the 993 felt like putting on a shoe a size too small. Sure, you can squeeze into it and look good, but you're not going to have much fun doing it.

The 993 was a much more involved feeling, more exposed, with alot less separation from the elements around me (even though they are both coupes). The clincher was the headroom. I'd definitely have to make some sort of modification to make this work and be comfortable.

In the end, I'm not going to give up my 993 aspirations, but I am going to pay more attention to the 996. You can already buy a solid 2002-2003 for less than $65k at that includes a warranty.

I intend to buy this car for the long haul and while I'm in love w/ everything about the 993's, if the shoe don't fit.....

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

One more plug for the 993....

How about a Targa? The extra headroom may make you more comfortable. But get ready for a loooong search for a nice 6 speed.

Good luck.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:59 PM
greglionb
Instructor

Originally Posted by pjconner
One more plug for the 993....

How about a Targa? The extra headroom may make you more comfortable. But get ready for a loooong search for a nice 6 speed.

Good luck.
I actually thought about that when you originally mentioned they had more headroom. As I mentioned, there is a tip-targa nearby that I can easily arrange to drive, so I might do that just for the fun of it.

I actually love the targa lines, your's is particularly nice looking. I've had my heart set on AWD though... ugh.

The other thing is, if I'm going to not buy a 993, do I wait until the 997 C4 comes out before I pick up a 996.5 C4S? Probably.

Of course, the other wildcard is the boxtser coupe, but I'm not going to spend any time considering that until its a little closer to arrival.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I'm at least 12 months away from being able to do anything, so I'm left to simply obsessing.... but it sure is fun!
Old 02-11-2005, 10:02 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have long torso issues similar to Kary... I mounted a racing bucket without sliders so that I could fit into the car with a helmet. I am 6-2 with a 34" inseam. Since that has been done everything has been GREAT!
Pete
Old 02-11-2005, 10:08 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by greglionb
Just as I'm backing out to leave, what should pull up but a 993 C2. I took a chance and asked him if he would mind my slipping behind the wheel for a sec. Sure enough (like so many P owners) he was a really nice guy and didn't mind a bit...

Uh oh.

Whereas the 996 felt like I was safely snug (not cramped) and in a perfect position to drive, the 993 felt like putting on a shoe a size too small. Sure, you can squeeze into it and look good, but you're not going to have much fun doing it.

The 993 was a much more involved feeling, more exposed, with alot less separation from the elements around me (even though they are both coupes). The clincher was the headroom. I'd definitely have to make some sort of modification to make this work and be comfortable.

In the end, I'm not going to give up my 993 aspirations, but I am going to pay more attention to the 996. You can already buy a solid 2002-2003 for less than $65k at that includes a warranty.

I intend to buy this car for the long haul and while I'm in love w/ everything about the 993's, if the shoe don't fit.....

Thanks for everyone's input.
I, too, was faced with helmet-headroom trouble. Since nobody rides in my back seat, (even though I offer to give people rides in the back, but when they look at the roll bar....), I ended up installing fixed seats, and bolted them directly to the floor. This provided another valuable, good solid inch of head room. No trouble now

Yes, the seat is non-adjustable, but the car is (selfishly) for me to drive
I am sure GT3 seats, which are great (IMO) for a street driven car. Dont give-up on the 993. I think you'll be quite in love after a test drive..
Old 02-11-2005, 10:27 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

6'6 240 , seats move to the second set of holes, tiptronic means I can extend my left leg and lock my knee - pleanty of room. Sit in one with the seats moved back, it makes a big difference but the 996 is still more comfortable regarding seat/driving position if you are looking for a 6 speed.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:08 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a Cabrio, more headroom with the top on,with the top down, well that way you can put your best horn outfit out!!,cheers,Sonny.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:34 PM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

6-4 205lbs I get to chose between both models to drive,
and while the 996 does offer more leg room I find the
close proximity of the steering wheel, shifter in the 993 the
perferred position for driving comfort. I have not tried
the 993 with the seat moved aft, may have to give it a
try. I drive the 993 a lot more than the 996.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:39 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

At 6'3'' and 180 lbs, I find the 993 fit rather tight lengthwise, even with my seat attachments relocated back to the rearmost position. That relocation made the almost unendurable just barely satisfactory. The close contact between knees and steering wheel (35-36 inch inseam for pants) is still troublesome.

I sat in a 997 a few days ago. I was able to sit in a comparable position with the 993 seat about two inches forward of the rearmost position. A ten year old child would have been able to comfortably sit in the rear seat behind me with that extra room, and it would have been safe for me to drive in that position for an extended period. In my 993, with the mounting point moved rearward and the power seat fully back in its track, the rear of the front seat virtually touches the front of the back seat, leaving no room for even the tiniest of child legs.

The other nice feature of the 997 is the ability to telescope/tilt the steering wheel. That gave me more knee room: with the wheel moved closest to me, past the highest point of my bent knees, and tilted 75% of the way up (which wasn't very high, unlike tilt wheel excursions in American cars), I was more comfortable than I've ever been in the 993.

I'd sit in both if I were you. I'm sure a local dealer would be accommodating. There is the difference in price...and the fact that the 993 is air cooled, if that matters. For $40,000 more in your pocket, you can get used to a lot. If you have plenty of cash and ever hope to have a child sit behind you, consider the 997. It is very a very handsome car.

Mike Lincoln

Humorous story: I once had a tilt/telescoping wheel in a Ford. I had never used it (except in inittial trials). I couldn't really see what it was for. When I traded the car in, I found out. The hugely obese used car manager at a Ford dealership deftly reached in through the open door and flipped the little lever. Because the American tilt feature is typically so exaggerated, the wheel was then pointing to the sky like the Aricebo SETI dish. He deftly slid his giant bulk into my car's seat without suffering any untoward obstruction. Once in place, he flipped the wheel down to "driving position", in contact with his shirt. So that's what the feature was for, I marveled!
Old 02-12-2005, 01:09 AM
greglionb
Instructor

I'm really kind of bummed about this now. I've thought so much about the 993, just assuming it would be fine. I've spent the last 45 minutes flipping through a current 911 prestige brochure and I just don't get as excited...

I still want to drive one, preferably a C4S before deciding all hope is lost. Hopefully one will turn up close-by (Atlanta) soon. The 996 C4S is an amazing machine and I'm sure I'd absolutely love it, but it just doesn't have the same pull as a nice looking 993.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:47 AM
BlkC4S
Instructor

First off, I'd decide whether you want a 993 or 996. They're very different cars, and you need to decide which one is for you.

I'm 6' 3"" but long in the torso. I can drive the car fine without a helmet, but ended up with a GT3 seat and removing the cushion when I wear a helmet. It's the best money I've spent on the car. I actually find the GT3 seat much more comfortable than the sport seats.

I have a friend who is 6' 4"" and long in the legs and owns a 996. He was amazed when he drove my car because as others have suggested, I have my seat mounted in the second set of holes. There's a huge amount of legroom with this option.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:39 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree with Rob here-you really have to decide which car fills your needs the best. Both the 993 and 996 are (nomex on for some of our listers here) very good cars. Now if you really want leg room try a 944-it's the only car I've ever owned where I had to pull the seat forward!

Al
Old 02-12-2005, 11:27 PM
JDP993
Intermediate

I am 6'7" and pushing close to 240 . I find the 993 a bit tight but have put in 400 miles at a stretch. I am going to put Gt3 seats as soon as they are delivered in search of more leg room.

Going with a smaller steering wheel such as the Techart 320mm or 340mm also helps a great deal. I really love the 993. With a little bit of work it can fit some pretty good size people.

Quick Reply: Best "fit" for a guy my size