Sponsored by:

Still thinking of selling the P-car

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still thinking of selling the P-car

What should I ask with all the mods installed? Has about 33k miles and it's literally in perfect - not a scratch, mark or blemish - condition.

2 Owner car - first owner was a surgeon and PCA member. I paid $56k for it and added another... well... let's not discuss how much I've added. My wife sometimes reads this forum!

TIA
Old 02-09-2005, 07:24 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

how about $30k? I'll take it off your hands right now . Seriously, you have an abundance of excellent mods. I would think mid - higher $50k's shouldn't be a difficult sell. The question in my mind would be "at what point does the price fall into TT range?"
Old 02-09-2005, 10:02 PM
lowblow
Racer

TIA-

Why sell. Do Tell. your car sounds CHERRY. How long have you owned it?. I would agree with Alex's question about approaching TT range $$$$.

mike
Old 02-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

I'm thinking about ... hold your breath all you rabid 993 devotees ... going over to the darkside and getting a 996TT!

My car is a garage queen - it's setup for serious performance driving but it mainlty just sits there and looks good. I've never tracked it as I thought I might and it's jst so perfect that I don't want to use it. The car was one of the most highly optioned cars in the final year of air-cooled production - the sticker was over $92k for a C4S! I know this sounds odd but this was my first real "special" car and I think I have some personality defect that prevents me from using it as it was intended.

The thought was that I could sell the 993 and my everyday sedan (A8) and have enough cash to get a used 996TT to use as my everyday car. The 996 (for all its flaws - mostly in the looks department) is a comfortable, modern design that I feel lends itself to day-to-day driving more than the razor edged 993. Plus I've always wanted more power for the 993 but don't have the heart to slap a supercharger on it - which I think is what it really needs.

Anyway, that's my thought process. Feel free to pick it apart and convince me otherwise.

Best regards to all.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:28 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Drop in a TT motor in there..she is ready for it!! Besides you are going to miss her and maybe the 996 will become the new queen and you are back to square zero... You know how many times I've thought about it? Even with my "daily driver" I'm paranoid. Once paranoid always a paranoid... better keep your treasure... Just start getting it to concours
Old 02-10-2005, 12:56 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am probably trading up from my 1996 993 C2 cab to a 993TT in the next two weeks. But I have to tell you, I drove and 996TT today to see if I would regret my decision. I will admit that the car is very fast, and a lot of fun, but I don't think it has any edge over the 993TT in personality, power, speed, and definitely not looks. It may be slightly quicker in a few categories, but you would probably not feel it.

Keep your car, or consider a 993TT. You will spend only slightly less money, but the car will hold it's value better and you could probably keep the other car as a DD.

Good luck with the decision. Remember, either way you're in a 911. and that is good for the soul!!
Old 02-10-2005, 04:02 AM
mborkow
Drifting

get the 996tt; it sounds like a healthy decision.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:42 AM
d.s.d
Intermediate

get the 99TT if you REALLY want it..trust me its a GREAT car and the time is right to buy (value is going DOWN everday)
Old 02-10-2005, 07:40 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that even at mid $50ks you're beginning to bump up against the top end of the range. I think you can part out a lot of your mods (the easier ones...ie litronics, stereo, etc) and still be able to sell it in the $50ks. If you do decide to part it out, put me down first for interest in your wheel and airbag
Old 02-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Tazdawg
Track Day

Tech-Law I think I can solve your problem. Since I live in Westchester too, I would be willing to sacrifice a few weekends and put some miles on it for you. Once it has been driven some more you won't have a problem driving it yourself and then you can enjoy it like you intended.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:37 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Remember something else tech-law, a 996tt as a daily driver during New York winters would probably lose its appeal very quickly. Sure you want to get rid of a kick-*** 993 and one of the best sedans ever made IMO (A8) for a 996tt? That's a whole lot good horsepower that could be utilitzed by you with big grin over and over again.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

I wish I was one of those Rennlisters right now that I'm always jealous of... the ones that say "You've got a PM". The ones that I'm assuming are sending someone a private message about buying what they're intending to sell. I'm just not that cool, or financially solvent today, but you have my dream car with all the goodies - the last year, the right color, the right options, half the miles of my car. If only I was single and could spend furiously Your car would be in my garage collecting a similar amount of dust . Yes, you'd be getting that "you've got a PM from me!".

So, do you plan to drive the 996TT all winter long in the snow, the muck, the mud, the sand, the salt, etc? If I understand you correctly, this would be your one and only car? I don't know how you could give up your A8 winter hauler so easily. The 996TT is a very seductive car to me to in Arctic silver with that sumptuous black leather interior. I think I might even buy a tiptronic if I got one so I could kick back and not have to shift in the grind of daily, bumper to bumper traffic here in the DC metro area. I sat in one once for while and fell in love with it. It's such a sweet GT car.

You can't go wrong with whatever you do. However nice your car is, sometimes you just want something different. It doesn't matter how nice your old car is, sometimes you're just ready for a change.

Good luck. I'm jealous! What year A8 do you have, by the way? Color? They are such fantastic cars, particularly the last couple of years.

Steve R
Old 02-10-2005, 10:15 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

996 TT go for you wont look back!................
Old 02-10-2005, 11:53 PM
JPL 993-C4S
Instructor

So you're going to pay $10k-$20k in transaction costs, plus all the effort, to get a 996TT...

Just drive the 993 as it was intended.

If it is too perfect to drive, ask the neighborhood kids to chuck some small stones at it and then it won't be.... what you are contemplating is no less absurd.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:31 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Steve 96C4S,

You should be happy with what you have and don't envy others that have more. You're doing pretty good just stop and checkout what you have. You're doing alright.

Quick Reply: Still thinking of selling the P-car