993 Forum 1995-1998

Estimate for kinematic clutch update

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:52 AM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Estimate for kinematic clutch update

Dropped Herbert off at the stealer this morning for the engine wiring recall. Having them replace the plugs and plugwires at the same time. As a test, I replaced the distributer caps and rotors before dropping it off. I want to see if they suggest those get replaced.

Also, my clutch pedal is still 'sticky' after having replaced and bled (to death) the slave cylinder. I'm going to have the dealer do the clutch lever update. Too few hours in the day for me. I didn't get an estimate yet. Anyone recall how many billable hours for this? Was there perhaps an OPC guidance memo when the update was issued? Bob, how long does this take you? (Received my HD's yesterday, thanks!)

THanks!
John
Old 02-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pedal cluster can be removed inside of twenty minutes if you've done it before. No need to disconnect hydraulics as advised elsewhere. Unbolt the master cylinder from the mounting flange and the pedal cluster will slip by it with a little wiggling. After that, disassembly of the pedals should go quickly and press on the new lever. You'll spend a little more time reinstalling and realigning the cluster onto the floor but it's pretty straightforward.
Want to limit your swearing and sore neck and shoulders which this job will invite? Remove the driver's seat first.
Longwinded way of giving you an answer, but I'd budget no more than two hours labor on the project......If the technician knows how to do it from experience.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:29 AM
JohnJL
Pro

Dealer just called to estimate 6 hours to replace plugs and wires!? @ $112/hour!?

4 hours to replace and install the updated lever. He said he thought the existing lever could be cleaned out and the spring lubed and adjusted with similar results in about an hour. I told him to make it work.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

John - what "stealer" did you go to? Fairfield? Also, if you are a PCA member, let them know this and you will (should) receive a discount on everything.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:41 AM
JohnJL
Pro

Yeah, Fairfield. Dealing with a Brit, 'Mark."
Old 02-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

I had to deal with them for the harness recall and dealt with Diane Bodge, service mgr. Of course they found extra stuff while they were "in there". In the end, they did do a good job and let me slide on a few charges (I was on them the whole way). They did give me the PCA discount as well. If you have a choice and Jorge is still there (Lead tech), have him do the work. Nice and straight forward guy. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:55 AM
JohnJL
Pro

I think I bumped into Jorge in the parking lot on his way in at 7:00 this morning...nice guy.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$112 an hour is an insult. 15% off? Wow! Only $95 an hour. What a bargain. Do it yourself! They'll knock out the clutch lever in well under two hours and charge you four for it. Plugs will take them under three hours and they'll charge you six for it. Nothing wrong with that, since they get paid more for their experience and expertise and still only charge you book rate if they're training an apprentice on your car. But this is not beyond you. TPC has my engine now and told me they'd change my plugs for four hours' labor! Mind you, the engine is already out of the car!!! They're pretty cheap at $70 an hour, but no way am I paying $280 for that. I'll DIY it, learn something and spend the $$ saving on more tools and parts.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:20 PM
JohnJL
Pro

I know its not technically beyone me now, but I've got more $ than time right now...I am also about to embark on an HD/H&R install and don't want to get bogged down on multiple projects.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:48 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnJL
I've got more $ than time right now...
Damn, that must be nice! I aspire to be like you, one day in the future, John.... or die trying.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:52 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

John, have you decided not to sell the car? That is in reference to your suspension install.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:13 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Oh, Kelly, I don't mean to boast at all...I suspect I'm at the lower end of the salary ladder around here. I just mean since the rest of the car is in such good condition, when that's done, I will be about 10K ahead in the maintenance schedule and all weak links will be gone. Since the dealer will be in there doing the wiring harness, it seems like a good opportiunity to knock this out rather than spend an entire weekend smashing up my knuckles. Now I can spend that weekend smashing up my knuckles installing HD's and H&R springs.

Believe me, I envy your local! What a great drive you've got to work!

Mike, I got another promise from the exec that I'd get a final offer before I hit the bed tonight. It's now 9:03 PM and I'm counting the minutes. If that happens, then yes, the sale is on.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:06 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

John, like any self-respecting vulture I will state it here: I'm interested in your suspension if you decide to sell the car and not install it.
As I'm pretty much local to you, it could be a very easy thing.

Oh, good luck with the offer. I wouldn't sweat it, they're just taking their time.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:11 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Mike, noted. You'll be my first PM, IF I have to sell. If I stay, its my consolation prize to myself.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:31 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a plan, John!
Again, good luck

Quick Reply: Estimate for kinematic clutch update