Euro Clear Turn Signal Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 01:51 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Euro Clear Turn Signal Lenses

Rennlisters,

I've poured through past posts but I want to be absolutely sure I know what I'm doing before I start down this slope...

I'm filling in my bumperette holes concurrently with repainting the bumper cover. After the fill-in and repaint, do I simply buy and install the Euro style clear turn signal lenses to complete the installation or are there other changes required?

Where can I buy the Euro lenses? How much should I expect to pay? And by the way, I'll be selling my bumperette compatible clear turn lenses. Anyone interested?

Is this a good time to do a turbo brake duct/fog light mod? If so, where would I buy the ducts and what should I expect to pay?

Thanks a million for your input!!!

Scott
Old 01-27-2005, 01:55 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scott,

You have a PM regarding your current clear lenses.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Click here to buy Euro clear lenses

Click here for Turbo S air scoops

Old 01-27-2005, 05:01 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott-

Now would be a good time to do the ducts if your wallet can stand it. There's a GB going on from MA Shaw for these right now. You're going to get the front resprayed... may as well have the ducts done, too.

Any vendor should have the Euro lenses, but I'm with Viken... go w/ Gert.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:51 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

question, if the car is glacier white, do you need to still paint the turbo ducts? (do they match?)
Old 01-27-2005, 07:42 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, the TechArt ducts with integrated signal lenses and brake cooling hoses are the ONLY way to go for the RS look. Expensive. I believe Gert has them, too. The Turbo-S ducts just don't look as good, to me. Without proper ducting to the spindle, they won't do anything for cooling, either.

Re the Euro turn-signal lenses: I have a set of the longer amber lenses I'd love to unload (with amber Euro side markers, too). Came from a German car, as new. PM if int'd. The clear ones are nice, too. Both have to be the proper length for a car with no bumperettes. Great look. But don't stop there-- do the rear, too, and get rid of those unsightly rubber thingees...

Lee in D.C.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:13 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Scott
Once the bumperettes are removed & the holes are patched, just install the Euro clear lenses (using your preference of dual filament bulbs #1157 clear or 1157A amber) & you're all set. Nothing more needed.

Originally Posted by J.Ho
question, if the car is glacier white, do you need to still paint the turbo ducts? (do they match?)
Yes, they need to be properly prepped & painted to match.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:35 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
... dual filament bulbs #1157 clear or 1157A amber) .
Dan,
No issue with clear bulb turn signals, re: are they legal, etc?
Old 01-27-2005, 09:37 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

State vehicle codes often have something to say about the color of turn signals. For instance, California's Vehicle Code states:

"§ 24953. Turn signal lamps

(a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

(b) Side-mounted turn signal lamps projecting a flashing amber light to either side may be used to supplement the front and rear turn signals. Side-mounted turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the center of the vehicle may project a flashing red light no part of which shall be visible from the front."

This would seem to permit clear lenses and even white bulbs in the front.

Georgia's Motor Vehicles and Traffic Code is a little less specific:

"§ 40-8-26. Standards for brake lights and signal devices

(a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped and when required under this article shall be equipped with the following signal lights or devices:

(2) A light or lights or mechanical signal device capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left and which shall be visible from both the front and the rear.

(b) Every brake light shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of 300 feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime, and every signal light or lights indicating intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of 300 feet from both the front and the rear. . . ."
Old 01-28-2005, 03:37 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J.Ho
Dan,
No issue with clear bulb turn signals, re: are they legal, etc?
They are where I live. When this issue first arose here a few years ago I researched about a dozen state vehicle statutes & most specifically permitted white (clear) front turn signals. The others had imprecise language similar to that quoted by Dave for GA which would seem to also permit clear bulbs. None prohibited clear/white front turn signal bulbs.

I've run clear bulbs for more than 2 years because they (1) look better day & night, (2) haven't caused any glare problems and (3) serve double duty as cornering lights like my father's old Cadillac
Old 01-28-2005, 09:06 AM
J.Ho
Racer

Dan & Dave,
Thanks! Once again Rennlist rocks, heck the membership fee was less than some new 1157A ST 's

Putting the clears back in! By the way, the clears are just plain 1157? (in case they blow)

Thanks guys.

Jeff
Old 01-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
They are where I live. When this issue first arose here a few years ago I researched about a dozen state vehicle statutes & most specifically permitted white (clear) front turn signals. The others had imprecise language similar to that quoted by Dave for GA which would seem to also permit clear bulbs. None prohibited clear/white front turn signal bulbs.
Dan, the turn signal is not the issue. It is the side *marker* that needs to be amber AND reflectorized in case the bulb goes out. You can install amber bulbs in your Euro lens, but you still won't have the reflector. This is a Federal code. Doesn't it override the state codes?
Old 01-28-2005, 07:21 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Viken, are you saying that the Euro clear lenses do not have reflectors and are therefor not street legal? That would be the first time I've heard this.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:37 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viken
Dan, the turn signal is not the issue. It is the side *marker* that needs to be amber AND reflectorized in case the bulb goes out. You can install amber bulbs in your Euro lens, but you still won't have the reflector. This is a Federal code. Doesn't it override the state codes?
Viken, as usual you are absolutely correct in your analysis, but we must look a bit further.

Just dealing w/the front, the applicable federal regs set forth standards which require amber reflectors. Clear lenses regardless of bulb color do not comply with the standards. However, the standards alone do not require compliance. Rather they are recommendations. However, manufacturers are elsewhere required to comply with the standards. For those states that have specific laws requiring vehicles to comply w/the federal standards, technically, almost any lighting related mod would be a violation, e.g., clear or smoked lenses, higher wattage bulbs, silver painted bulbs, etc. ... and we haven't even gotten to bumper height standards & bumperettes. It would be ricer hell.

My state & yours (as well as others) specifically permit white front turn signals in their vehicle codes. This is contrary to the federal standards which require amber. I've found nothing in MO or CA state law that requires amber reflectors, although I'll admit I've not spent much billable time on this research. As a practical matter if you're in compliance with your state law, you're OK.

Caveat: I'm only licensed in MO, check w/your own lawyer, do your own research, cya, if you get a ticket don't cry to me, yada, yada, yada ...

Last edited by Dan 96C2 St.Louis; 01-28-2005 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Euro Clear Turn Signal Lenses