Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Tech Basic- Reading Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 05:48 PM
AvsFan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Auto Tech Basic- Reading Suggestions?

I did a search and didn't find quite what I was looking for.

Specifically, as a relative newcomer to the world of high performance automobiles, is there a good general text that explains suspension physics / dynamics?

I am doing fairly well in keeping up with most threads but one today with camber and toe and so on went straight over my head.

Recognize this is basic to a lot of you, but hey...I have got to start somewhere. Am interested in learning. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:57 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a pretty good section in Going Faster! by the Skip Barber school.

This is a great book to get in general becuase it discusses a WHOLE bunch of other things that you'll probably be interested in as well.

Worth the $20 investment.

Jeff
Old 11-15-2002, 06:58 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
AvsFan:

I wholeheartedly agree with Jeff. Every time I read Going Faster, I learn something new. The book does a nice job of explaining suspensions in both technical terms and non technical terms. Another good book is Tune to Win. The author’s last name is Smith. His first name escapes me at the moment. Tune to Win, however, is very technical and I find it hard comprehend the first time through. My experience with that book is that if I read slowly and try to understand the small points that I get a good idea of the concepts being presented.

Hank
Old 11-15-2002, 07:33 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Here you go Hank. From what I hear all of <a href="http://www.carrollsmith.com/books/" target="_blank">Carroll Smith</a>books are great. Pretty technical though.

E. J.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:03 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks, E.J.

Hank
Old 11-16-2002, 02:23 AM
AvsFan
Advanced

Thanks guys!
Old 11-16-2002, 05:47 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

I don't think there is anyone who could make metallurgy more interesting than Carroll Smith.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:12 AM
Vinny '98 3.8 C2S
Racer

In addition to the book "Going Faster" which is terrific, there are two excellent sites for the novice. They're simple, accurate, provide a good amount of information and they're free.

<a href="http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/suspension_bible.html" target="_blank">Car Suspension Bible</a>

<a href="http://www.innerauto.com/main.html" target="_blank">Exploded views</a>
Very well done detailed explosions of various car systems with drawings and explanations. Goes well with the above site. The navigation isn't all that intuitive, so read the instructions to the right of the screen. Once you see how they set it up it's easy.

A good source to keep at your side while reading threads and other tech stuff is the Road & Track Illustrated Automotive Dictionary, published by Bentley Publishers, Cambridge. When you find a term you're unsure of, it will help you understand it in simple language.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:09 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
I agree with EJ, Hank et al, the Carroll Smith Series is awesome...they are books you can read over and over, and each time, learn something new. Also there is a great series of books by Fred Puhn, see below.

How to Make Your Car Handle Fred Puhn, ISBN 0-912656-46-8, HPBooks, 6 chapters, 200 pages

Fred has a great explanation of corner balancing. Fred also has a book on brakes that is very good as well. Brake Handbook Fred Puhn, ISBN 0-89586-232-8, HPBooks, 12 chapters, 176 pages

For general knowledge The 911 Performance Handbook by Bruce Anderson is very good reading, although not as technical as Carroll Smith.

Carroll Smith's book would be a great text book for young aspiring "Gear Heads". Thinking back, I really could have gotten into physics and math in high school had his books been around, at that time, nawwww more fun drinking beer and chasing skirts.

On a more serious note, you get through the Carroll Smith and Fred Puhn books, as well as other sources noted in this string, and you have more than enough knowledge to be dangerous. It may be a cold, dark winter, a great time for a little "light" reading!
Old 11-16-2002, 02:23 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by AvsFan:
<strong>I did a search and didn't find quite what I was looking for.

Specifically, as a relative newcomer to the world of high performance automobiles, is there a good general text that explains suspension physics / dynamics?

I am doing fairly well in keeping up with most threads but one today with camber and toe and so on went straight over my head.

Recognize this is basic to a lot of you, but hey...I have got to start somewhere. Am interested in learning. Thanks for the help.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree with what all others have said. You may also want to check this link:

<a href="http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/" target="_blank">http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/</a>

Quick Reply: Auto Tech Basic- Reading Suggestions?