Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Rennlisters.

I now make it official.

We now have our first non dues paying jackass knowitall.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dan,

I had never seen pictures of your car before. Very nice. Questions: Did you change any wiring or connectors to use the 100W high beam bulbs? Did you add a relay?

Thanks
Richard
Old 01-27-2005, 02:57 PM
sptschoice
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also using a k & n cone air filter and have no problem.To me the engine feels stronger no loss in performance here...
Old 01-27-2005, 04:35 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Michael,

In answer to your question, the rennsport chip (mine al least) does not ajust the rev limiter, I believe that the engine needs to be properly prepared for this (ie. have the parts balenced to make the idle very smooth) but that is based on my knoladge of other cars and may not apply to a 993 engine. The chip does improove low and mid range performance and is a good improovement for the money. I gather that there are no increased engine wear or stress issues as the rev limiter is not altered and it only adjusts the fuel/air mixtures and knock sensors ability to retard the timing. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I have learned it all here The chip should add around 15bhp, in theory taking you to 287, but I haven't seen it on a dyno and can't say for sure.

As for the K&N issue, I use one myself, but it is a cone and may be slightly different to the air box filters. The one I have does not consist of foam, but is thin, you would be surpised how much dust and debris comes out of it when I clean it out. So make your own decision as at the end of the day its your choice. I am happy with mine and will continue to use it, but I head the advice of the others and would certainly not risk running without a filter as there certainly is a lot of air bourne debris.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Default Nice One

Nice One MR Anders Hansson,

I am glad someone is on my side.... In any case I can already feel the increased torque and performance so there is no need to do the 0-100 run. But thanks anyway.

Good Skills.
undefinedundefined
Old 01-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Total911 Magazine
Instructor

Without wishing to goad Michael into using 48pt typeface agaain, can i make some suggetsions to all and sundry?

Michael - there is a lot of experience on this board. Many, many 993 owners have had their cars for a decade or so, and though its an exciting, new experience for you and your new 993, re-inventing the wheel isn't really necessary. Having said that, its your money and your car. BUT, don't get too upset if in one post you claim that removing the air filter is not a worry - and then post a concern about engine reliability with a re-chip.

Rennlisters - if Michael wishes to re-invent the wheel, and justify his engineering genius with cunning experiments, welcome the data. If you THINK he's being silly, just think it! Don't bother wasting John D's bandwidth suggesting that Michaelis a knowitall jackass.

Oh, and referring to the original question - £25k is a decent price for a private car with good history IF its RHD. A bit overpriced for LHD.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:24 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Cain
Nice One MR Anders Hansson,

I am glad someone is on my side.... In any case I can already feel the increased torque and performance so there is no need to do the 0-100 run. But thanks anyway.

Good Skills.
I advice that you get your butt dyno recalibrated. And I am not on your side, I am on the mainland.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:09 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

....the K&N is a solid build comes with a 10 year life time guarentte ... For me in this practicle test, I can feel that the K&N filter will provide more power to the engine as it lets more filtered air through. .
But will K&N guarantee your rings?

I am interesting in the The rennsport chip ...... but am concerned that the engine would be less reliable in the long run.
Quality air filtration would be high on my list for engine reliability and longevtiy. My .02
Old 01-27-2005, 11:55 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Michael,

Welcome to Rennlist... tough crowd, eh?
Old 01-28-2005, 06:08 AM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Heres a few ideas for performance improvements.
Get the thinnest oil you can - so the engine needs less power to churn it around.
Remove the oil filters - they slow the oil moving around as well, so the oil pump has to do more work which robs the engine of power.
Remove the glass and replace with polythene sheeting - much lighter.
Remove the rear seats, radio, carpets and all sound deadening.
Fit very very narrow after market alloy wheels with really skinny tyres to reduce drag and rolling resistance.
Remove the rear wing - useless weight.
Also - probably best of weight reduction projects - get your body mass index down - if you are obese it robs the car dramatically in the power to weight ratio arena. Same applies to regular passengers.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:28 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Default Hello Folks

Folks,

This is a Tough Forum, some very stong feelings on the Porsche 993.

I am no expert and have only owned my car for 4 weeks,

Previous Cars Owned are

Triumph TR7 sprint engine from dolmite ( i was only 18)
2 CV
Alfa GTV
Alfa 156 2.5 V6
Porsche 944 S2 Cab
Golf Mk 1 Cab.

my views on the air filter are purely from a practicle point of view and I certainly do not want to give the impression that I aspire to be a Porsche guru. I am not. To be honest I am just pleased to be a 993 owner, and feel very very lucky to own a Sports Car Icon such as this.

I am interested in the new Porsche Boxster S Coupe (280 BHP) coming out soon, I am sure this will be a close and interesting rival. Will be looking forward to a 993 Carrera vs New Boxster S Coupe review.

All the best and good hunting.

Michael
Old 01-28-2005, 07:45 AM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Michael, sorry about the p*ss taking, welcome, this really is the place to save lots of cash and time spent in needless frustration and worry about 993's - the advice is so good!
So stick with it and become a member!
Meanwhile I would suggest you remove street name and post code from your details - there are people out there who would love to know where to nick a 993!
Cheers!
Old 01-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StevoUK
....there are people out there who would love to know where to nick a 993!
Cheers!
Amen.

On the topic of a Boxster S, just go to the 996/986 forums and read about RMS... you might not buy a 987 after reading the horror stories. Shame really.

BTW, lots of things about Porkers do not need improvement... the air filter is one... IMO.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Default hello

hi folks,

The 993 (272 bhp) against the new Boxster S Coupe (276 bhp) is going to be a tough one. I really do think the the 1995 993 carrera will find is a tough challenge vs the 2005 Boxster S COUPE (276 bhp) is a match too far. I am already thinking of selling my car..... The reviews are looking awesome for this new generation of porsche.... on wards and upwards felllow 993 supportors....

Mid engine boxster S coupe (276 BHP) VS engine over the (****) back wheels 993 (272 BHP) is a no winner. I already fear the worst.....

I hope the 993 wins, but some-times laws of fource and science are the natural winners

Ughhh!!!

Michael
undefined
Old 01-28-2005, 10:04 PM
sweanders
Race Director

hi folks,

The 993 (272 bhp) against the new Boxster S Coupe (276 bhp) is going to be a tough one. I really do think the the 1995 993 carrera will find is a tough challenge vs the 2005 Boxster S COUPE (276 bhp) is a match too far. I am already thinking of selling my car..... The reviews are looking awesome for this new generation of porsche.... on wards and upwards felllow 993 supportors....

Mid engine boxster S coupe (276 BHP) VS engine over the (****) back wheels 993 (272 BHP) is a no winner. I already fear the worst.....

I hope the 993 wins, but some-times laws of fource and science are the natural winners

Ughhh!!!

Michael
undefined
Dude, you should just get a 400 hp BMW instead, those must be way better than a Porsche with not even 75% of the power.

Quick Reply: Porsche 993 Carrera (272bhp) Extra Power