Sponsored by:

Porsche 993 Carrera (272bhp) Extra Power

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 12:22 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Cain
Boys clam down, my father had a number of etype jags and high performance porsche's over the years and always removed his air filters, he never had any problems.

Yeah, do it...should be lots of fun when it rains...and take off the engine cover while you are at it.

(btw still not fond of the blue font)
Old 01-25-2005, 06:46 AM
willisit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Michael, I'm down in Portsmouth (well, near anyway). Nice to see another UK'er on here!

I have RSRs fitted to mine - it may not be any quicker, but it certainly feels and sounds quicker! Plus the popping exhaust is just a joy
Old 01-26-2005, 06:36 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Hi michael,

I think you got the car for a pretty good price (here in the UK).

I would suggest that if you want more performance go for a suspension upgrade, you will need new shockers at that mileage anyway - i went for PSS9's at 72K miles and night and day difference, I do a lot of trackdays so maybe this colours my view.

If you really want serious performance increase I have a new, never installed TPC kit for sale for the '95 993.

My car is a '95 993, track day warrior, will we see you at any PCGB track days this year?

Good luck and enjoy

John (Glos and Oxon)
Old 01-26-2005, 07:08 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Michael

I agree with most everyone else that there is nothing to be gained by adding a K&N. In addition, the K&N rubber surround is substantially thicker than the OEM filter which makes it a very tight fit. You'll notice that when you clamp down the filter lid, it will be hard to do so, almost to the point where you wonder if the retaining tabs will break off. Because of this, I decided to sell my K&N and just use the OEM paper filter.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:26 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Michael,

I have a K & N cone style filter, and honestly there is no percepable difference other than the sound. The rennsport chip makes a good noticable difference, and the RSR's, that most here will recommend, add a really nice sound to the car. £25.5k is a reasonable price for a RHD IMO. It's a lovely car and I am sure you will enjoy it every bit as much as everyone else here enjoys theirs.

Interestingly I was shocked by a 993 RSR write-up last week that puts the Right Hand Drive version at £70K and the Left Hand Drive version at around £30k there is usually a reasonable difference in price even with more common cars, we do pay more for cars in the UK, not happy about it but it's hard to draw a parrallel between the prices in the UK and the US (or any other LHD country).
Old 01-27-2005, 05:25 AM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

We pay too much for just about everything here in the UK it cost me £56 for a tank of fuel on monday that's about 105 bucks!! Then we pay £5 to drive into our city centre (london) and if you don't pay before 10pm the same day it goes up to £10 and then after midnight AUTOMATICALLY become £50!! and a photo of your car is sent to you along with the threat of court action!! ...............Great

Sorry...............OT rant.........

Leave your air filter alone and get an RS clutch conversion
Old 01-27-2005, 05:36 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ASH.PALIN
We pay too much for just about everything here in the UK it cost me £56 for a tank of fuel on monday that's about 105 bucks!! Then we pay £5 to drive into our city centre (london) and if you don't pay before 10pm the same day it goes up to £10 and then after midnight AUTOMATICALLY become £50!! and a photo of your car is sent to you along with the threat of court action!! ...............Great

Sorry...............OT rant.........

Leave your air filter alone and get an RS clutch conversion
A SC will reduce the value of your car. If you want more response etc... get the Light Weight Fly wheel (LWF) and RS clutch and pressure plate. Works great... as stated above Best perf upgrade IMO.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:08 AM
Christer
Race Car

an RS clutch and LWF doesn't increase power as such though. At least not by more than a couple of percent...I sure like the way it drives though
Old 01-27-2005, 06:15 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christer
an RS clutch and LWF doesn't increase power as such though. At least not by more than a couple of percent...I sure like the way it drives though
Agree completely... much sportier feel as compared to stock.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Default K & N filter

Hi Folks,

As for the filters, I have compared the standard filter with the new K&N one, and you can see that the standard one is very very thick and must prevent a lot of air getting into the engine, the K&N is a solid build comes with a 10 year life time guarentte, but is much thinner, I can blow on both and feel the air pressure on my hand at the back. The K&N filter lets a great deal of air pressure through while the standard one seams to restrict air, i can just about feel the air on my hand when I blow really hard. Try it for your selves. For me in this practicle test, I can feel that the K&N filter will provide more power to the engine as it lets more filtered air through.

I am interesting in the The rennsport chip and would like to know how much more power I would get from a Porsche 993 272 bhp Carrera, but am concerned that the engine would be less reliable in the long run. Also is the REV limiter raised and is there more torque lower down the rev range, i.e. the power on my 993 comes in a 4,000, would the chip make more power available at instance 2,500 rpm?

Thanks

Michael
Old 01-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

For the air filter, I would stick with stock... one factor is the clutch vent tube is hooked to the airbox. Do you want clutch dust in your engine?

I would drop the idea of a K&N filter if it was me.. bad news all around.

The absolute best performance bang for your GBP is LWF/RS clutch. Hands down... reported by many satisfied users.

Do a search of the archives... you will get the point.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:12 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

I can blow on both and feel the air pressure on my hand at the back. The K&N filter lets a great deal of air pressure through while the standard one seams to restrict air, i can just about feel the air on my hand when I blow really hard. Try it for your selves. For me in this practicle test, I can feel that the K&N filter will provide more power to the engine as it lets more filtered air through.l
Wow, thanks for sharing your test results. Very impressive methodology. I guess we'll all need to rethink our prior negative responses to your air filter question.

Although, just maybe the available air flow through the oem paper filter already fully meets the amount of unpressurized air that can be used by the engine. Do you think that's possible? Do you think Porsche's engineering decision on the size, thickness & air flow of the filter was a guess?

Hint: If you don't like the (consistent) answers to your question, ignore them rather than post such silliness.

Originally Posted by Monique
Do a search of the archives... you will get the point.
Wishful thinking?
Old 01-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Default Hi Dan

Hey Dan,

In response to your question, I don't think Porsche are too concerned about the extra power in the case of the air filter, they are far more concerned with there cars performing well in ALL CLIMATES, for example if i lived in a very SANDY or DUSTY climate then a good air filter would be important. I live in the country side in the UK where the air is clean and climate suit my K&N filter, therefore I have no worries with filterization from the K&N.

All the best, Michael
Old 01-27-2005, 12:24 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dan,

In response to your question, I don't think Porsche are too concerned about the extra power in the case of the air filter, they are far more concerned with there cars performing well in ALL CLIMATES, for example if i lived in a very SANDY or DUSTY climate then a good air filter would be important. I live in the country side in the UK where the air is clean and climate suit my K&N filter, therefore I have no worries with filterization from the K&N.

All the best, Michael
I suggest that you find a straight piece of road and a video camera, strap the camera in and try accelerating from 0-100 mph with stock, K&N and without filter. Then watch the video and time the results and then replace your stock filter and toss the K&N one.. You will be happy.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

I am interesting in the The rennsport chip and would like to know how much more power I would get from a Porsche 993 272 bhp Carrera, but am concerned that the engine would be less reliable in the long run.
You're thinking of running a K&N filter, let alone leaving the filter off, and you're worried about engine reliability??

If you can feel more air on your hand when you blow through a K&N, you're motor will also receive more dust as well. You can see through the foam filter. How does open space filter dust? Oh, yes, I forgot; Essex is a terrestrial anomaly where no dust exists. Call The Learning Channel!

Hey, it's your money. Do what you want.

There's always NOSSSSSSSSSSS!

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 01-27-2005 at 10:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche 993 Carrera (272bhp) Extra Power