Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Post H&R PCS Coil Over Kit

H&R introduced the PCS coil over kit.
(Power Control System)
It is a kit comparable to the Bilstein PSS9 kit.
The H&R PCS kit can be installed on any 993, including the Turbo and will lower the Euro cars up to 45mm in the front and 35mm in the rear.

I don't know the price yet, according to our H&R contact the price would be close to the price of the PSS-9 kit.

This PCS kit will be released soon.
More details to follow.
Old 11-14-2002 | 11:15 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Gert,

Any idea who would be the shock manufacturer? I would hazard to guess that H&R would not build the shocks themselves but OEM from someone. I wonder that their market target is for the PCS if they are competing with PSS-9's, where Bilstien has a very good reputation for quality. H&R seems to have a good rep as well but for springs, not shocks.

Just some thoughts. I await a set of coil-overs that are good with good adjustable valving for a decent price...its seems the ones for Porsche are overpriced just because the perception is the market can bear it..maybe it can but I can't!

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2002 | 12:42 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by Mike J:
<strong>H&R seems to have a good rep as well but for springs, not shocks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why do you say that? Many of the shocks used in the H&R kits are Bilstein. I never heard anyone complain about the shocks supplied by H&R.
Old 11-14-2002 | 04:02 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[quote]Originally posted by Mike J:
<strong>Any idea who would be the shock manufacturer? </strong><hr></blockquote>

I believe the H&R PCS kit will have custom valved Bilstein PSS-9 shocks with H&R springs.

Like Viken said, H&R uses Bilstein and sometimes Koni shocks for their coil over kits.
Old 11-14-2002 | 08:31 PM
Craig W.
Instructor

So the question is, Gert, how will they differ from the Billstein set, and what will be the price differential? Will be interesting to see if they are priced at a premium or discount vis a vis the Billstein kit.
Old 01-18-2003 | 11:49 AM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Gert,

Is this kit out yet? About to pull the trigger on a suspension upgrade for my '97 C2.
Old 01-18-2003 | 12:06 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

H&R has a great reputation for springs, and Bilstein shocks are certainly world class. If Bilstein build the H&R shocks, in a way, it seems like a General Motors approach, if you don't like the Chevrolet, how about a Pontiac?

H&R with Bilstein, 9 way adjustable shocks, you have my attention, as long as the front (And rear too)struts are such that the car can be readily lowered to at least M030 Row level, and possibly even 993RS specs. This is not the case with the Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks where Viken and others have reported they needed spring persches to lower the car past the Bilstein HD thread stops. I wonder who makes the springs for the Bilstein PSS9s, H&R? Keep us informed Gert. I, loike many others, have not yet gone to a coil over set up...but it certainly is in my future plans. Now I have two products to consider, may the best product win!!!
Old 01-18-2003 | 01:09 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Martin the experience that I have with the H&R coilover system as you probably know is fantastic. There were no issues with fitment problems with the stock perches or paired with the M030 sways. Car can be readily lowered to RS specs without issues. I will be pulling the trigger shortly for my new track project with the stiffer new RSS Clubsport H&R coilover kit from Gert and I will report my findings I pressume by mid February.
It is clear the H&R has a much different approach in the setup of the car than Bilstein themselves. If you see the rates on the PSS-9 the rear is much stiffer than the front almost by 400 at full stiff!!! Looking at Steve's site under the "chassis tuning and modification" page, these spring rates would translate to a more oversteery behavior especially if you run full stiff. I guess the adjustability makes up for this in a certain way but clearly the H&R setup is geared to have a more neutral if not more understeery setup. That coincides with my experience on the track with this system, I feel the car very balanced and with wider fronts very neutral.
Personally I'm not sold on the adjustability factor to choose the PSS-9 ,I just dont particularly like the spring rates (too soft in the front too stiff in the back) but then again I always liked neutral cars. Besides I feel that if you are in a stage that you are looking for 10th's on the track at a racing event the PSS-9 would not be the system of choise anyway. The PSS-9 would for sure accomodate fun on the track and street much better than stock especially if you are looking for a more compliant ride on the street due to the adjustability of the system. I too look forward to the H&R adjustable system to show up, maybe then we can have a true choise for a dual purpose system if adjustability is high on ones priorities.
Old 01-18-2003 | 08:26 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Great info Danny....well thought out.

Quick Reply: H&R PCS Coil Over Kit