Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Harness TSB Update - Start your Search Here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 09:30 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 842 Likes on 517 Posts
Just picked up my '96 993 from Schneider and Nelson in West Long Branch, NJ last night after having the harness replaced. Initially the car ran rough and died several times at stop lights which was probably due to the battery having been disconnected during the service job and the computer memory having been reset. Drove the car to work this morning and it ran like a champ. For those 993 owners in NJ, I recommend S&N for this work (no affiliation).
Old 07-28-2003, 12:54 AM
officemanager
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess everyone knows by now that the old links don't work [I presume the new links are to a different directory] so I couldn't check out EJ's info and ascertain if my car is in recall... If anyone updates these and the other FAQ links that would be great...
So newbies like me don't have to make idiotic posts.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:00 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by David Schacht
dealer checked the VIN and my car was not included in the recall. He indicated that my car was built in Stuttgart and it occurred to him that the ones that they had been replacing were for cars built that were not built in Stuttgart.
Ahhhhhhhh.....what 993s were not built in Zuffenhausen?
Old 08-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by David Schacht
I had mine checked last week. The dealer checked the VIN and my car was not included in the recall. He indicated that my car was built in Stuttgart and it occurred to him that the ones that they had been replacing were for cars built that were not built in Stuttgart.
Never let this dealer touch your car again.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by GreggT
Ahhhhhhhh.....what 993s were not built in Zuffenhausen?
The 993RF was built in Afghanistan...
Old 09-30-2003, 11:04 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Hello EJ, Jim
Old 09-30-2003, 11:44 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Hey Jim, you finally get a computer.

I sold the yellow car to a fellow Rennlist nut in CA who promptly dumped a bunch of money it putting her in top track shape - everything you and I were going to do the car and more. 3.8 kit etc... I am so jealous - she looks great. Kim, if you're reading this, Jim is the mechanic in Charlotte who's records you now have. He did the wiring harness and a bunch of other stuff for me on the car.

I hope all is well Jim, drop an email and let me know how business is.

E. J.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:47 AM
Honkeytonk993
AutoX

In case you're still out there, E.J., many, many thanks for your hard work on this!!! You just saved me a lot of money and probably have prevented a few car fires elsewhere, too. It's good to see people willing to fight the good fight. Mark of Baltimore let me know you were the one to thank. Here's my original post:

So my excellent mechanic in Nashville, Wicky Lawrie, at Renntag Motorwerks, discovered my deteriorated wiring harness problem in my 1995 Carrera 2. Thanks to these Rennlist posts, and the 1-800-Porsche phone number posted here, I discovered very quickly that, indeed, my car is covered by the "W301 Campaign" - not a recall - for the wiring harness. It also sounds like Rennlist members were responsible for making this a campaign, so my big thanks to all who were involved!!! That's thousands of dollars saved. The dealership may do the work, though I'd prefer to have Wicky do it. We'll see.

Other 1995 owners beware: this wiring issue can cause engine fires, as Wicky told me and as some on this site have experienced. So I'd recommend getting the harness replaced for free ASAP. Thanks again, Rennlisters!

Julian

Quick Reply: Wiring Harness TSB Update - Start your Search Here!