Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Area Rennlisters, your invited!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 10:28 PM
touf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from the open house a couple hours ago. Really really cool stuff.
I liked the wind tunnel demo.
What an awesome place to work.
Thanks for the hospitality.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:22 AM
DJD
Instructor

Just wanted to say Thanks Chris, very very impressive, and its only $ 850 per hour for wind tunnel testing, I think thats a bargin for the time and expense it took to build it.
Again thanks, it was very interersting.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:45 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Guys, thanks for coming by! It was our pleasure to host this event. We counted a little over 400 people!

Just bummed that I didnt get a chance to meet you guys. Saw your cars, but I was running around all day talking about all kinds of things.

Did you get to see our cut-away Champ car gearbox? A great chance to shift some gear while looking inside to see what really goes on inside one of these works of art. The cut-away was a project of mine that I spent the better part of 3 months to complete.

Glad we got to run the wind tunnel with a model installed, which was a rare thing to show off due to extreme expense etc.

The SAE guests were impressed with all the p-cars that were on display as well!
Old 01-30-2005, 03:35 AM
nman413
Drifting

This thread is useless without pics! Chris, I wish I could have been there. But it's just too far away.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:39 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by icerbofh
This thread is useless without pics! Chris, I wish I could have been there. But it's just too far away.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:28 PM
cd993
Track Day

Thanks for inviting us to a fantastic event, Chris. I am still in awe of the technology, and its application, that Swift Engineering is capable of. I didn't take any pictures yesterday, but I can appreciate the torture being inflicted on the other RennListers who have yet to see.

Is there any chance that you could post that one PowerPoint slide showing the initial analysis for attacking the Celica Funny Car project? I don't care what you think about drag racing, the prospect of attempting to assess and manage those types of forces is mind-boggling. The fact that your company took the project to completion in 10 weeks is amazing.

Here's a teaser for the gang:
It would take more than THREE 993 engines to produce the power of ONE cylinder on the Funny Car.

Last edited by cd993; 01-30-2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:43 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Chris, it was nice to see you and Margaret there! Yes, the funny car project was an eye opening experience for Swift as well. We threw the best materials, rod ends, underbody structure that we had at it and intially, they still failed from vibration. I still dont understand how a human body can survive wheel shake like that!

With the engine at idle, a richter(sp?) scale reading of 3.1 is mind shattering. Also the two, 75gal/minute (yes per minute) fuel pumps pumping through a 1.75" fuel line is something to see.

Those guys are NUTS!!

I will get some pics posted of the event asap.

Quick Reply: Area Rennlisters, your invited!!