Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a set of MB Quart QSD 216…

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 08:46 PM
sv
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just got a set of MB Quart QSD 216…

for my doors.
I was wondering where you audiophiles mounted the crossovers; I understand they can be mounted to the door panel and covered up by the pocket.

However, I’ve heard it’s not good to have them on the door because vibration over time is bad for the crossover, also moister/condensation (rain, although not much) can be bad…any truth to this.

I do use the space in my pocket so ideally would like to install the crossover somewhere else…

Also looking for recommendations on an Amp (I checked out Rod’s site, looking for more options).

TIA
Old 01-06-2005, 09:05 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend you place them in the doors. Running an extra set of wires is a bi#@h. Ask me how I know. MBQ crossovers are sealed pretty well. Heavy duty velcro will hold them to the door panel.
You can also mount them up front or under the seats. No help here on the amp. I would guess up front is the only place to locate a decent size unit.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:10 PM
porsch964
Intermediate

I am thinking about doing the same Post Pictures When it's done
Old 01-06-2005, 10:37 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are in the doors. 6 months, lotta rain, hurricanes, AX, DE, etc. and no problems
Old 01-07-2005, 12:45 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How big is your amp?

My XM units are going under my pass seats this weekend. I think you could fit a small amp under there depending on your equipment. That's where the factory HiFi unit is..
Old 01-07-2005, 01:55 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The only good amp that fits under the passenger seat without relocating components is the Audison that Rod sells; but it's a bit pricey. I measured numerous amps. It's pretty easy to mount an amp in the trunk, though, as the battery is right there for the power and there are obvious ground points, too. I got an 80-watt MTX amp open-box at Circuit City for about $125 bucks and it works great.

As far as the crossover, it should tuck into the space under the handle in a non-hifi car, and it won't really compromise the door pocket. In the hi-fi car, it fits underneath the cover itself, as I recall.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 01-07-2005, 03:23 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a JL audio 300/4 under the pass seat with crossovers mounted behind it from diamond audio hex series. fit is perfect under non-powered seat with or without the rail risers. If these X-overs weren't adjustable or didn't come with a rear fill outputs I would have put them in the door. If you like to play with all your settings and measure sound its hard to do with your amp/X-overs in the trunk. But any bigger amp and you'd be stuck with the trunk, also connections on the JL are front/rear.
edit to ad picture
oops, I'm in the wrong forum, I'm setting the beer down now, sorry fellas
Old 01-07-2005, 04:30 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jerry, there are two or three other components wedged underneath the passenger seat on the 993, so a traditionally sized amp won't fit under there.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 01-07-2005, 08:31 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

that's why I wrote
oops, I'm in the wrong forum, I'm setting the beer down now, sorry fellas
Old 01-07-2005, 09:30 PM
sv
Instructor

Hey Vic how's it going...are you still in MA?

The crossover are kinda big (approx 7”x5”x2”) so they will chew some valuable door pocket space. But it’s really simple to mount them there, so that’s where there going.

I don’t have an amp yet, did see the value of the Audison – size.

The passenger seat moves a lot, my wife likes it close, guys at work all the way back, if I pick up the kids its all the way up…I know the Audison fits fine but I’d prefer it in the front, so size is not too much of a concern.

I’d like to get a decent 4 channel and be done. I think, or do I only want a 2 channel? I don’t know I need to talk to some stereo guys and get the right stuff.

It kills me that my wife’s Volvo has a great system and the Porsche, well we all know what’s that’s like.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:22 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Still here, Sonny ... and likely to stay.

I used a two-channel amp in my cab because I think the rear speakers are useless anyway, and I used a powered Infinity sub in one of the rear seats. But if you might add a regular non-powered sub someday, a 4-channel amp is a good choice. Rod Birch used to recommend the Sony amps, which don't fit under the seat in the 993 but would be fine in the trunk. Really, an Alpine, MTX, anything will work. You can get good deals on Ebay on new gear if you don't mind living without the warranty, or check Circuit City for returns or demo amps, that's where I got mine.

Those are huge crossovers!

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 01-14-2005, 11:05 PM
sv
Instructor

pctures for porsch964

pretty self explanatory – the sound is incredible even without an amp.

panel back before -> I cut this much -> panel after
tweeter cover holder before -> after
cross over
done
Attached Images        
Old 01-15-2005, 10:39 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Audison from Rod mounted underneath the passenger seat. My x-overs are mounted inside the doors.

Quick Reply: Just got a set of MB Quart QSD 216…