Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who was looking for heated seats (quick, eBay, ends today)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 04:49 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Who was looking for heated seats (quick, eBay, ends today)?

I'm not affiliated at all, but saw these seats on eBay\ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33701
Seems like a descent deal. I'm curious what the third adjustment is for. Lumbar?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Beezr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An alternative - http://www.checkcorp.com/

Was passed to me previously by another Rennlister. No affiliation.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:26 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I actually just received a heated seat kit about an hour ago. Paid 75 shipped for one seat. German made, carbon, not wires, dual temperature, appears to be nicely made. We'll see how much of a pain it's going to be to install and I'll let you all know how it works.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:29 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike S/Nile13, please post something when you've installed your heaters...describing how it went and what you think of the kit.
--Mike L.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:33 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by nile13
I actually just received a heated seat kit about an hour ago. Paid 75 shipped for one seat. German made, carbon, not wires, dual temperature, appears to be nicely made. We'll see how much of a pain it's going to be to install and I'll let you all know how it works.
do you a link to a website? I was thinking about doing this to GT3 seat. TIA
Old 03-15-2004, 11:47 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

That sounds like a pretty reasonable rpice. I have a Targa without heated seats...would really like them when the roof is open and its cooler out!

Can you post where you sourced them?

Cheers

Mike
Old 03-16-2004, 01:53 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got mine from somebody on eBay. Negotiated down a bit :-)
If you do a search for heated seats or seat heaters a few will pop up in $80 plus shipping range. They all appear to be the same.
I suggest waiting for about a month if you can, I'll try to install them and do a writeup. The instructions are somewhat verbose, but it's a straight forward thing. The hard part would be to get the leather covers off the foam.
Oh, I was looking at my seat today. There is a wire going into the backrest. Does anyone know what it is? Also what would a convenient source of ignition-switched 12V be near a driver's seat? The heater has its own 10A fuse inline.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:17 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My understanding is all 993's have power to the correct pin to allow for heated seats...its makes it easier to just have one wiring harness. You should not have to wire in the power but get it off the connector already on the seat (if the pin exists...I don't remember when I looked at my seats).

Not sure what the backrest wire is for. You are not mixing it up to the sensor/switch on the seatbelt that is attached to the seat rails?

Do you have sport seats or regular seats? I have had the backs off my sport seats...its pretty easy once you figure out you have to roll the leather off the hardback from one end to another.

Looking forward to your results!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-16-2004, 03:35 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, I have regular non-sport seats. The wire comes from the bottom somewhere and goes up into the backrest on the inboard side of the seat. I need to take the seat out of the car to investigate further, but that got me thinking - it looked a bit too much like heating harness. No other harness has any business being in the backrest, as far as I can tell, right?
Old 03-16-2004, 04:03 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think you are right...I can't think of what else would be in the backrest. I have sport seats so I can't help you with the teardown of the seats. I guess you are going to have to pop the seat out of the car and take a look.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-15-2005, 01:43 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Mike,

We are having cold weather in Vancouver and my mind is not thinking about heated seats...did you have any luck installing the heated seat upgrade?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-15-2005, 10:40 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

After taking the seat apart somewhat I've found a problem. Unlike many seats out there, Porsche doesn't use hog rings or staples to attach the leather cover to the underluying foam. They actually stich them together (you can see the stiches accross the middle of the seat on top of the leather).
I have not figured any elegant way to shove the heater in there and abandoned the project for now. I will probably take the seat to a professional at some point to have it done (have not had time to do so).

Quick Reply: Who was looking for heated seats (quick, eBay, ends today)?