Lower valve covers and heat reduction..... Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 11:33 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Lower valve covers and heat reduction..... Question

I'm in the middle of replacing the lower valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires, dist. caps and rotors...... And, oh yeah, I did an impulse buy on the short shifter when ordering the ignition stuff from Devek..... Thanks Viper Bob!

Anyway, on to the question.......... I am replacing the lower valve cover gaskets and, as we all know (or suspect), the life of the gaskets is determined by heat generated from the header/heat exchanger.

I have seen the "header wrap" material from Moroso and Thermo-Tec (http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/11001/11001.html) used on hot rods. It's a mesh material that withstands 2000F and is used to wrap headers.

The idea is primarily horsepower related where heat is kept inside the header and exhaust is scavenged better. Secondarily, underhood temps are reduced 50%+.

The question: Has anyone used this wrap on 911 heat exchangers to reduce heat dissipation? If not, any educated guesses on likelyhood that it will serve some benefit?

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by User 4221; 01-03-2005 at 11:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-04-2005, 06:38 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Scott,
interesting question. I hope someone will have some knowledge on this. I finished the job last week, and my engine is still out, making that mod easy!
Good luck with the screws behind the heat exchanger exit tube!
Old 01-04-2005, 09:18 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Toga,

Thanks for the encouragement. The valve cover screws will be no problem since I removed the heat exchangers to clean/wrap them.

I think I will go ahead with the thermal wrap. I'll snap some pics and share.

BTW, what part of Belgium are you located? The reason I ask is my wife was raised in Turnhout and went to university in Antwerp.

Scott
Old 01-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as dissapating heat the valve covers in the link I've posted are supposed to help with that, but they are expensive.

Aluminum Valve Covers
Old 01-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Scott C
Hi Toga,

Thanks for the encouragement. The valve cover screws will be no problem since I removed the heat exchangers to clean/wrap them.

I think I will go ahead with the thermal wrap. I'll snap some pics and share.

BTW, what part of Belgium are you located? The reason I ask is my wife was raised in Turnhout and went to university in Antwerp.

Scott
Congratulation for a wife that should be one of the best in the World!!!
I'm from Namur which is 75km east south east from Brussels.

Did you remove your heat exchanger yet? The bolts on mine were so rusty that I let them on. I was afraid to brake a stud in a cylinder head...

JP
Old 01-04-2005, 09:49 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 223 Likes on 107 Posts

Aren't those aluminium valve gasket covers used as a standard replacement now?
I had my car serviced a month ago and they used the aluminium one to replace the old plastic cover(leaking).

regards
Old 01-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by delanobe
Aren't those aluminium valve gasket covers used as a standard replacement now?
I had my car serviced a month ago and they used the aluminium one to replace the old plastic cover(leaking).

regards
Sh.. are you telling me I have to go back and change my covers too, to be "leaks free" I'm gonna put my engine back in quick, before you guys give me other good ideas to empty my wallet
Old 01-04-2005, 11:00 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toga
Congratulation for a wife that should be one of the best in the World!!!
I'm from Namur which is 75km east south east from Brussels.

Did you remove your heat exchanger yet? The bolts on mine were so rusty that I let them on. I was afraid to brake a stud in a cylinder head...

JP

Yes she's a keeper and no she's not standing over my shoulder watching me type this....... Like most Belgian women, she's very strong minded and fanatical about keeping the house clean. Quite at odds with my sloppy ways.

We will be in Belgium later this year in late May/early June. I think we should organize a get-together.

Yes, I have removed the heat exchangers. No probs with the head studs. I only had problems with the bolts connecting the right header to the CAT. One broke.... I have my work cut out for me there.

BTW, the aluminum valve covers are, as far as I know, an aftermarket solution . At $500 a set, I'll take my chances on replacing the original gaskets.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

We will be in Belgium later this year in late May/early June. I think we should organize a get-together.

Yes, I have removed the heat exchangers. No probs with the head studs. I only had problems with the bolts connecting the right header to the CAT. One broke.... I have my work cut out for me there.

BTW, the aluminum valve covers are, as far as I know, an aftermarket solution . At $500 a set, I'll take my chances on replacing the original gaskets.
Of course! remind me later and let me know when you come early enough so I'lll advise my planning officer to arrange my days off at those dates.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:36 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Will do..... Maybe we can get Gert and delanobe to meet up as well.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:44 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd look into ceramic coating of the heat exchangers. Those thermal wraps can really accumulate a bunch of road grime.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

In the SRF world, the only people willing to tape their header are the ones willing to shell out > $1k on a regular basis (I think, about once/season) to replace them. I'm told that the thermal wrap, while it does help contain the heat & keep it from cooking nearby components, also greatly accelerates the demise of the header material. Secondhand info, I'm not speaking from personal experience. Don't know if the SRF header material is markedly different from p-cars, etc.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:53 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I think I will go ahead with the thermal wrap
I have no direct experience with it but from what I've read, thermal wrap is not the best of things to use if you drive your car in the rain! Anything wrapped will stay wet and rust out real quick. Check the turbo forums for various warnings from people that have tried.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 405 Posts

Thermal wrap will cause the headers to fail prematurely. Great for headers that are replaced regularly , but a poor choice for most of us that expect them to last forever.

Here is an alternative solution to keep heat from the valve cover area.

The 964s had a similar setup stock. For some reason they were left off on the 993s.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:22 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

What is the ultimate benefit of such a shield, Bill? Will the motor or valves last or perform any better? Carbon buildup prevented? I do not understand.

Thx for any insight.

Quick Reply: Lower valve covers and heat reduction..... Question