Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does the C2S have the big red brakes as an option?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 03:24 AM
B-Line home
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post does the C2S have the big red brakes as an option?

or is that only an option on the C4S??
What other differences are there between the 4s and the 2s in terms of how they are outfitted.
thanks.
Old 12-19-2001, 04:25 AM
JDW
Intermediate

no
Old 12-19-2001, 11:19 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by B-Line home:
<STRONG>or is that only an option on the C4S??
What other differences are there between the 4s and the 2s in terms of how they are outfitted.
thanks.</STRONG>
The Big Reds were standard on the Carrera 4S but NOT available on the Carrera S. If you see one with Big Reds, they were retrofitted by the previous owner.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:22 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts
B-line, as Viken and others said, big reds were not available on a C2S. However, a "special wishes" option is to have the regular C2/C2S brakes painted different colors. On my car, the original owner paid for having them painted yellow as on the 993 Turbo S. However, they're the same size as regular C2/C2S brakes.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:05 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts
cool, now I understand the big red outfit...
So, let me go a step further..
If I am going to track a lot, are the non big red porsche brakes sufficent? do they fade? do they warp? do they do the job I'll want them to do? Or am i going to have to go to some aftermarket brakes??
I have a habit of warping rotors in my Audi and I would hate to have the same problems in a PCAR..
but I'm not sure if the C2S brakes are truly sufficent for the track and lots of heat..
thanks.
Love to hear some opinions on this...
Old 12-19-2001, 06:11 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The stock Porsche brakes will work just fine for you. Don't waste any money on brake upgrades unless you are going to compete and drive mostly on the track.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:16 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

... What Viken said.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:00 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I brake hard at the track a lot (at least once every lap ) and use Pagid Orange pads and I am fine.

E. J.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:12 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally posted by Viken:
<STRONG>The stock Porsche brakes will work just fine for you. Don't waste any money on brake upgrades unless you are going to compete and drive mostly on the track.</STRONG>
Definitely agree here. my 95 with stock brakes, pads and rotors has been absolutely flawless on the track (8-10 track days), plus 30K aggressive daily driving. I'm currently doing a 30k service (at 90k miles), and will replace pads (but still have a bit of pad left) and rotors might get re-surfaced, depending on my mechanics opinion. Bottom line, these brakes are killer and are far superior to almost everything else out there (ok, besides our 993S4 and Turbo friends.. )
Old 12-19-2001, 07:24 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
B-Line,
I used the standard brakes for my race car. Use the right brake fluid and pads and you will not have any problem with them. I have a set of Big Red front calipers and I haven't installed them yet because I just haven't seen the need. I will get to it eventually but there are better things to spend your money on. Tires, wheels, suspension, re-gearing the tranny, it is a long list before you get to the brakes!
Greg
Old 12-19-2001, 08:00 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Hi B-line:

Great advice here from all,..simply super.

I would also recommend upgrading the suspension, perhaps wheels/tires, and regear the transmission before purchasing the TT brake hardware.

Using good brake pads appropriate to your useage & fluid will really help.

Enjoy!
Old 12-19-2001, 11:59 PM
B-Line home
Racer

thanks guys...
I appreciate the info...
I think just as a precautionary measure, I might install a front brake cooling system (ram air) just to keep my temps down. It's a cheap mod and only cost's about $100 bucks. I have it on my Audi now and I'm glad to have it. Simply, it's a air scoop that is drilled into the skid plate. Hoses that come off the air scoop direct air from underneath the car and onto the rotor.
If I do run into problems with my brakes, I will probably get some stoptech' brakes. They are what I have on my Audi and there great.
Hopefully though, I won't have my brake warping problem. I also love having bring stong brakes though. It makes threshold and trail braking a bit more comfortable just because of the confidence it provides.
I am definately going to get some wheels and tires, that's a given. Suspension?? Maybe, Maybe not. I don't really know if I want a kidney killing, pot hole slamming, ride yet.
I'm going to keep the car stock for a bit and add improvements as I go along.
The only reason I had concern about the brakes was because of the current problem I have with the audi. And of course because of my quest to go deeper. Slow in, Fast out...
thanks for all the input and hope to pass you soon.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:01 AM
B-Line home
Racer

oh yeah,
I have pagid orange pads for my stoptech brakes. Will they fit on the C2S brakes or are they a different size and configuration. As I am not a wrench turner I'm not sure about the specs and dimensions of brake pads.. Or is it all universal..
Also, do you guys who use Pagid oranges use those pads for the street too? Or do you swap at the track?
What recommendations do you have for street pads if you swap?
thanks.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:31 AM
B-Line home
Racer

how much does it cost to regear a transmission,
that sounds like a great idea for these autobahn road eaters. But here in the good old U.S., I could use a little more bottom..
thanks
Old 12-20-2001, 12:56 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally posted by B-Line home:
<STRONG>how much does it cost to regear a transmission,
that sounds like a great idea for these autobahn road eaters. But here in the good old U.S., I could use a little more bottom..
thanks</STRONG>

Actually, it makes more sense to regear an American 993 than a Euro 993! American 993's received taller 2nd-6th gears to deal with noise issues and better mileage, but sacrified optimal driving conditions. Porshe created a perfect gear ratio that they were not allowed to use in the USA. Compare the Euro M030 and American M030 suspension heights for an analogy.

Quick Reply: does the C2S have the big red brakes as an option?