Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much less do you think the value is of a deep purple porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 03:23 AM
B-Line home
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post how much less do you think the value is of a deep purple porsche?

I found a nice car but the color is a real deep purple. It looks almost black sometimes. I do like the color alot but don't necessarily love it. My fear is resale value and if these odd colors hold any value and is there a market for them?
I am just curious to get your opinions if you think the car is worth less because I will have to take less when I go to sell it in the future. There is obviously not a high demand for this color and I would hate to take a huge loss on the car because I bought the wrong color...
thanks for the input...
Also, can someone please post a pic of the factory aero kit on the C2S.. I have seen a few different aero kits and I'm not sure which one is the really expensive factory one.
thanks again..
Old 12-19-2001, 08:21 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

B-Line,

Don't take this the wrong way, but it makes me sad to see people ask on this board and other boards what the resale is going to be based on a color they are considering. You should buy the car because YOU like the car and color and not worry about the resale. That could be 3 years away and who knows, you might wreck the car the first day you have it.

It sounds like you don't really love it, so you should keep looking to find one you do. You will know it once you do.

These cars are amazing no matter the color, and they all will depreciate no matter the color. Get the one you like and drive it and enjoy it. Worry about selling it later when the time is right.

My $.02

Kim, I am partial to Speed Yellow/Midnight Blue.

E. J.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:13 AM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

B-Line,

Here's a thread with some discussion of factory aerokits on a C2S:

Spoilers on C2S

Will
Old 12-19-2001, 11:25 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 392 Likes on 227 Posts
EJ put it very well. I looked for over a year; as mine HAD to have limited slip and be a good color. I wanted silver or white and settled on midnight blue metallic. A beautiful color but a bitch to keep nice- esp. on the track.
If you're patient you will, eventually, find your car.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:47 AM
jhb
Racer

6 years ago I wanted a 911 cab, black on black. However, All I could find was red on black (my price range placed me in the mid 1980 cars, and 80% of the cars were red on black). I eventually settled for the red, but every day I walked to the car I was disspapointed (to look, not drive ) Don't get me wrong, the red is stunning, but not my first choice. From experience, get the color you want, its worth the wait. I ended up selling for the triple black 993, and have never been happier!
Old 12-19-2001, 12:03 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

That *might* be Iris Blue. But if it's near black, maybe not [shrug]. I bought an Iris Blue 96 coupe, and enjoy it. It's a little too purplish for me at times; but especially at night it's really nice. I do get lots of positive feedback on the car, and -- like others here -- a Porsche is way too irrational a purchase to start with to worry about resale!
Old 12-19-2001, 12:49 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
When I was looking for a (used) C4, I looked *specifically* for midnight blue metallic because I thought it was such a great color. To add a different viewpoint, some people may pay *more* if they really want a less-common color. I just got lucky because there weren't that many narrow-body C4s made in 1996.

Brett
Old 12-19-2001, 12:53 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B-Line,
This color could be midnight blue metallic. Have you checked the color codes? I have a midnight blue metallic 993, and in some light, it looks deep purple. In other light, it’s deep blue. It is also often mistaken for black. As George says above, it’s a beautiful color, but a bitch to maintain. It gets dusty in the blink of an eye.

Tom
Old 12-19-2001, 01:17 PM
McCulla
Pro

B-Line, I had to throw in my "tale of woe".
I wanted a black C4S, but had to have it "now". (This was in 1996). Located a black one in Chicago, did the intelligent thing and thought it out (for about 2 hrs!) and called back to find it sold. I settled for a Polar Silver one they also had, flew up to get it, and drove back home (500 mi) feeling like S#*T! I ended up paying $3000 to swap them for the next black one they got, having to use the zone rep as an intermediary to avoid a thorough hosing by the dealer, and still paid $500 to ship to my home!! Super Stupid, but boy am I happy now! Wait for the color you want-it means more than we like to admit!! Good Luck!
Old 12-19-2001, 02:48 PM
JL
Intermediate

McCula..thants hysterical..my buddy paid $3k EXTRA for the Polar Silver C4S in '96....I remember the dealer had a black one and the Polar silver optioned the same....and he wanted $3200 more for the PS claiming it was so rare..
To each his own!
Jordan
Old 12-19-2001, 03:49 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very General Advice; On a new car, if you have your heart set on a color, wait till you find it (or place factory order). It makes things easier on yourself (better negotiating position) if you have a short list of desirable colors AND don't have to "drive out today". On a used car, rather than make a list of what color(s) you like, make a list of what colors you absolutely won't accept, & don't even look at those cars.

I have noted that w/ Porsches (& other high line sports cars) the classic factory or national race colors have a positive (or at worst, neutral) impact on resale (bigger market, close sooner). Silver or White : Germany, Blue : France & US (also White), Red : Italy, BRG : GB, etc.

For myself, I have sworn NEVER to buy a red Porsche (maybe I got tired of seeing red on all my Alfas), but I LIKE the idea of "low production number" colors, if they are aesthetically pleasing to me.

Life is short, why care too much about the taste of others?
Old 12-19-2001, 04:35 PM
alex_95_cab
Instructor

One thing to keep in mind if you have a variety of colors you're open to is how long you are planning on keeping the car.

I've been told that white and yellow have much harder pigments and thus don't wear as much as other colors. Also metallic paints wear faster (supposedly) than non-metallic paints.

Betallic paints can also be hard to match properly if you need to perform any repainting in the future.
Old 12-19-2001, 04:43 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
thanks for all the great info guys...
I truley agree that I should wait for the right color..
I guess I really want black or silver..with a factory aero kit. Certified, under 20k miles, motorsound, litronic, sportseats,
18" wheels, Hi-fi,
guess I gotta keep looking..
cheers,
and, hope to pass you soon.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:16 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

B-line,

As others have suggested, wait, wait, wait until the PERFECT car comes along. It took me 14 months to find a arctic silver / chestnut (almost burgundy) model, but I'm glad I didn't waver. Along the way, I almost went for Flamenco Red, Boxster Red, etc. but it was worth the wait to find the one that pushes all the right emotional buttons. I've owned the car for over a year now, and I still pinch myself every time I open the door and start her up.

Wasn't it Tip O'Neil that said all politics are local? Well, all of your Porsche purchase is emotional!
Old 12-20-2001, 12:24 AM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

For what it is worth, a good friend of mine owns three Volvo stores.... plus he used to have some other euro. franchises

His rule of thumb is to order black, silver, red or white, unless special order.... easier to sell and better re-sale value for his customers.

I don't know if it is true across the board.... but it has made him a lot of money.

The few times I have compromised on color.... I have ended up hating the car and selling early... Don't compromise just to get a deal!

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: how much less do you think the value is of a deep purple porsche?