Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much less do you think the value is of a deep purple porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 08:47 AM
momoC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

B-Line -

Would you mind telling about the car and where it is?

Thanks,
Morgan
Old 12-20-2001, 02:19 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
B-line,

I agree with many of the comments. Buy the color you really want UNLESS you are buying the car as a collector. If that were the case, rare colors can often add value to a car but not for many years to come. If you found a rare color it could win best of show at the 2025 Porsche concours!

RPM Sports Cars has no fewer than 9 low-mileage 96-98 C2S and C4S models for sale. Colors are black (C2/C4), speed yellow (C2/C4) Silver (C4), Arena Red (C4).

I had an excellent experience with them but be cautious.. Another Rennlister says he had a bad experience with them.

My 98 Cab was purchased with 5800 miles and was essentially a new car. Be sure to have a PPI performed by an authorized Porsche mechanic.

Good luckRPM Sports Cars
Old 12-20-2001, 03:06 PM
A.J. - 95 993
Racer

The purchase of my '95 993 could be considered compulsive. I never heard of Rennlist, wasn't a Porsche fan, and had my sports car sights set elsewhere. I became interested in getting a 911 from the 80's as a daily driver. It had been a few years since having a sports car, and I was getting the itch. I decided on Porsche because the design is timeless, they hold together quite well and it will certainly hold it's value. I went to the local Porsche dealer and asked if I could drive a cab they had on the lot just to get a feel of a 911. I didn't want a cab, but I figured if I really liked the way the 911 felt, I could ask them to search around for a coupe for me. I was nervous about asking, but was honest that I didn't want to buy THAT car. We chatted for a minute, and he reached in the drawer and grabbed some keys. We headed out to the lot, but he walked past the cab. I was thinking, "Oh geez, he's going to try to sell me a Mustang or Corvette." And he walked up to the 993. I about died. We took it for a ride, and I was blown away by the performance. I had driven Supras, M3's, late generation RX-7's and 300Z's. All have similar performance numbers. But I got out of each of them expecting just a little more than they had. None were as...violent as the 993. I was trembling when I got out of it. The price was laughable, though. It was more than double what I was planning to spend. They talked themselves down considerably - still double what I was looking for. The car was a lease return, which this dealer sold new and did all the service. The last 1995 993 coupe they had was 8 months prior - they have been somewhat rare here in Louisville. And the car had only been on the lot less than a week (I keep a close eye on their lot). The only problem was that it was sea green (Adventurine?) with gray leather. So I was right in The Dilemma. I wasn't wild about the sea green, and I was all but turned off about the gray leather. Black over black is the ultimate as far as I was concerned, but I knew that I would have to pay a premium to get something like that. It turns out the price was extremely competitive, the car itself seemed like a cherry, my wife authorized it (bless her heart), so it was up to me. A week later I returned and bought it.

I don't regret the purchase one bit. I still drool over black on black, but I like my color. I get a suprising amount of compliments on the color. I guess others like it more than I do. Had read Rennlist before looking for a 993, I could have chosen the perfect car, with exactly everything that I wanted. It more than likely would have been a black/black C2S for about 50% more than I could afford. Then I would have been really disappointed to "compromise" with the "stripped down" model that I have now. As it was, I got the best car that I had seen to that point, and I'm still tickled to death with it.

And luckily I haven't seen another black/black C2S with aluminum accents around town.
Old 12-20-2001, 03:41 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
AJ,
Our buying experiences were very similar. I wanted a 911, I had a 944S2Cab at the time and wanted something more powerful. I was visiting my family in Louisville so I dropped by and started talking with a salesman and they had this beautiful silver Carrera S and we looked it over and he started it for me, but couldn't let me drive it because it was a special order for a customer and he just hadn't picked the car up. I told the guy that I didn't know if I wanted a new car since it was about $20K more than what a used model would cost and we looked some more. I had told him that it would probably be six months before I could buy anything and I thanked the guy for his time and asked for his card. He said that he couldn't let me leave without driving something, so he brings out a 95 or 96 C4 and I took it for a spin, just like you I was hooked! He was a smart salesperson, not pushy and just let the product do the talking, besides that he never acted arrogant or asked me if I really thought I could afford one (like a BMW dealer did) even though I was only a 27 y/o. I got back to the dealer and I exchanged info and he said they were getting a black S model and a speed yellow C4S. I said no way on the SY (today it might be a different choice) but I would be interested in the black but really liked the silver. Anyway a couple weeks went by and he called me, the deposit on the silver car feel through and wanted to know if I wanted the silver car. Of course I did and we were able to strike a deal. Life has been different ever since.
Greg
Old 12-20-2001, 03:51 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

KUM-BY-A MY LORD, KUM-BY-A!

I love it. Nothing like the great P-Car stories. I bought the second car I drove because I could afford it and absolutly could not be happier. Whatever you buy you will be happy with - or else you will never be happy.

E. J.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:52 PM
Denny Lindsay
Advanced

I'm amazed at the number of Midnight Blue 993's are on here....

Here's a pic of mine, RUF equipped of course.

Denny
Old 12-21-2001, 12:20 AM
B-Line home
Racer

Your Ruf equipped looks Sweeeeeet!!!!!
beautiful car...
I have decided to hold out for the right color combo/options. Hopefully I will find something soon.
I have a DE event at the end of january that I am dying to go to (3 days at sebring) and hope to have a car...
btw.

sold my audi today....S4 go bye bye...
Old 12-21-2001, 05:00 AM
Millzeee
Advanced

in the uk dark metalics fetch a premium along with silver, white is the absolute worst colour you could have for residual value.

mine is dark metalic blue but when you catch it in the right light it has a purple tinge to it looks fantastic when its claen and shiny
Old 12-21-2001, 05:09 PM
Tom T.
Instructor

Originally posted by Millzeee:
<STRONG>in the uk dark metalics fetch a premium along with silver, white is the absolute worst colour you could have for residual value.

mine is dark metalic blue but when you catch it in the right light it has a purple tinge to it looks fantastic when its claen and shiny</STRONG>
My '95 is also midnight blue metallic. People always seem to like the color. It
gets complements from just about everyone.
In addition to the purple tinge at certain angles it looks black when it starts getting darker outside.

Tom
Old 12-21-2001, 07:25 PM
LarryN
Advanced

Love the Midnight Blue, it's the color I was looking for too, and I was missing the 97 Jetta GLX that I used to have with that mysterious-is-it-blue-or-violet-or-black color described above.

So just to add to the purchase stories: For the brief moment in time a little over a year and half ago that the financial planets lined up and I found myself seriously being able to think of owning my dream car, I started looking but did not find a blue 95 after a few weeks (not real patient I guess). Red was a second choice, I own a black Accord V6 (daily driver) so that was out, and silver was the next option. So I ran across this one:

My car as it was on the showroom floor

With the chrome wheels, it was a bit on the flashy side, but then I was totally haunted by the image of it for days. Dragged the wife-unit down to look at it (she was not on board with the whole idea at this point) and so she sees it and says (looking at it sideways) "Well, I really don't want you to buy one of these things... but if you're going to do it, it has to be this one...". Done deal from there.

I have since thought that if I had seen an 'S' in the flesh I may have held out - but then the window would have closed on me and I would be still trying to find time to restore my old Triumph GT6. So things worked out for the best and I still love my flashy red narrowbody 95.

-Larry
Old 12-21-2001, 09:29 PM
momoC4S
Rennlist Member

Smile

B-line,

You have to like the purple...my wife still doesn't like mine but I drive it so, it's works for us.

I would like to know about the one you looked at. I haven't seen many in this color (that should tell you how popular it is!) so I'm always curious.

First time I've tried posting a picture...hope it works.

Happy Holidays!
Morgan
Old 12-21-2001, 11:31 PM
B-Line home
Racer

that's the color I saw...
I think!!!
hard to tell it seems to change colors..
20k miles..
fully loaded, sport seats, litronic, hifi, B&B,
factory aero (i think it was factory)
can be mine for 56k with certification..
I passed on it though..
I really think I want triple black..
Old 12-22-2001, 07:41 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Actually when in the market for an E36 M3 long long back, I wanted a Techno Violet M3. I ended up with an Estoril Blau E36 M3 and in hindsight I could NOT have done better since Estoril Blue is simply the best BMW blue IMHO. But the Techno Violet is a very nice rare colour and similar to purple though of course a bit more Violet than purple. Very nice colour IMHO. I would have paid more for it btw.

When buying my 993, originally I considered a paint to sample fly yellow car as well as a couple of other colours including black and would have considered purple too though I am not entirely sure about purple on a 993 but rarely considered silver because of how common silver was. I ended up with silver AND SIMPLY LOVE the fact that i can drive it for days without cleaning. Also the curves really come out in silver unlike the darker colours. The fact that the 993 is not so common on any given day on the roads made it okay to have silver. The darker colours have their own strong points though. They look immaculate when clean.
Ah... i love them all!! IN general, I'd say.. buy the colour you like.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:52 PM
B-Line home
Racer

that purple porsche shown above,
is that the only purple color that exists or is there another variation??
I'm not sure if that was the exact color and I'd really like to know..
thanks.
Old 12-22-2001, 02:13 PM
momoC4S
Rennlist Member

B-line,

While I was looking for a newer Porsche, I found a 1994 3.6 Turbo in a metallic purple. I don't know the name or code of the metallic purple.

The purple on my car is Amaranth Violet, T3. Interestingly, the paint code plaque in the front trunk has the same paint name (in German) but T8 as the paint code. I ordered some touch up paint, T3, and it matches perfectly...don't have a good explanation for the code difference.

Is the car you were looking at a C2 or C4? Was it in the Miami area?

Morgan

Quick Reply: how much less do you think the value is of a deep purple porsche?