Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Distributor cap question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 02:24 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was reading about dist belt replacement on PCA.org, a while back. Of note is that on '95 (I think) and 964s there is not a venting mechanism and ozone created by the spark ionizing the air causes faster disintigration of the belt, and that if the belt goes VERY bad things can happen (IIRC one of the plugs can continuously spark causing serious damage in the combustion chamber) and it is difficult to detect until the damage occurs.

The support and knowledge on this board rocks! Best $32 I ever spent.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
I was reading about dist belt replacement on PCA.org, a while back. Of note is that on '95 (I think) and 964s there is not a venting mechanism and ozone created by the spark ionizing the air causes faster disintigration of the belt, and that if the belt goes VERY bad things can happen (IIRC one of the plugs can continuously spark causing serious damage in the combustion chamber) and it is difficult to detect until the damage occurs.

...and to add more infos, my car (96) has a vent, and 120.000km (+- 75K miles)
The belt was still looking good. Only the profile of the "teeth" was rounded. To my knowledge, it has never been changed before.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:26 PM
deltawedge
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902

I've heard that the 964 did not have the vent tube by my 95 993 C2 does have it.

Quick Reply: Distributor cap question