Advice on heater hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:08 AM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on heater hose replacement

Hi all,

I just changed my oil and noticed the orange heater hose that connects from the heater flap box to the (I think exhaust - can't remember) is ripped and I need to replace it. Easy enough. I checked with suncoast and they only sell this OEM hose as a 3 foot section. No problem there, but it costs about $240. Even with a discount it is about $160. I know that isn't crazy money but I just can't justify spending that much $$$ on a 4 inch piece of hose.

If anyone has a better idea for an alternative or knows where I can get a replacement hose for less, that would be great. If not, I will just bite the bullet and get an OEM replacement.

By the way, I believe this occurred because of my failure to always remove this hose during the oil change and getting oil on it when taking out the engine filter. Of course, I always wipe things up and clean as best as I can but I think the oil over time will eat at these hoses. So for anyone out there doing your own oil changes, learn from me and take the hoses off and out of the way.

thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 11:40 AM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take two pieces, and there must surely be others in the same situation.
Let's divide the hose up and defray the cost that way.
Please let me know - by email/PM.

Thank you,
Reuben
Old 01-31-2005, 11:41 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Is this a molded part or just a section of curved or straight high temp flexible ducting? You can buy cut to length aircraft flexible ducting in several styles that are silicone impregnated, wire lined or not, that will handle temps to 500 F. They are used in aircraft heating systems - just like the Porshe systems. Diameters in the catalog I have go from 5/8" up to 6". Sounds like about $12 to $14 per foot for about a 4" diameter. $50 or $60 per foot is a bit on the stiff side. Has to be the same product - it's clamped anyway, so all you would have to do is get in the ballpark on size.

Actually the catalog is an aircraft supply house in Griffin, GA. They may be near you. Aircraft Spruce is their name. Their phone number is 877-477-7823. I can scan and email you the catalog page if you send me your email address.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:20 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

There is nothing magic about this hose that would warrant such a high price. You should be able find a suitable replacement at Hose Man or Hose Mart--just take the defective piece in so they can match the diameter. Or as Mike Cap suggested, Aircraft Spruce. They have a location in Southern CA as well.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

If you that hose is a tad high try replacing the oil fill hose to the tank, $250.00. It looks like a 1" piece of hose from a pool filtration system.

Quick Reply: Advice on heater hose replacement