Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colored Turtle wax as tempory fix for road rash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 02:50 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Colored Turtle wax as tempory fix for road rash?

For those of you who have black or dark colored cars AND have some minor road rash.....instead of respraying the whole front end or areas affected, has anyone tried using that Turtle Wax - colored wax stuff that comes in different colors and is supposed to fill in the tiny little chips? Just wondered if this stuff actually works well. You can't see the chips on mine unless you get up real close to it but thought this might also help prevent any corrossion where the chips are deep enough to have made it down to the bare metal. Not suggesting I'd use the stuff on the whole car but just the few bad spots.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:55 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Never heard of this but I'm ready for some more wax so I'll try it. It's better that the white residue left in the pits by the 3M that I use now. Thanks for the tip
Old 12-31-2004, 03:12 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the colored turtle wax, it doesn't hide marks as good as you think.
It is cheap enough to try, and may protect and cover the road rash good enough for you.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:19 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may work, but in my experience with this stuff on previous non-porsches, the wax was junk. Lousy shine and reflectivity and to top it off, it stains your rags/pads/towels/etc. However, a few bucks compared to a full re-paint, its worth a shot.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:34 PM
cecil
Instructor

The felt seal on my sunroof has turned gray but doesn't leak. My car is black. I don't use this stuff on the car but rubbing it into the seal make the seal black again and it doesn't seem to hurt the paint. I could probably get the same effect with shoe polish.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:53 PM
Bob - 95 993/C2
Instructor

Originally Posted by cecil
The felt seal on my sunroof has turned gray but doesn't leak. My car is black. I don't use this stuff on the car but rubbing it into the seal make the seal black again and it doesn't seem to hurt the paint. I could probably get the same effect with shoe polish.
++ That felt is one of the things I find "Back to Black" works well on. Another is the surround around the ignition (mine is black..was grey.) I wish it would work on the "bumperettes" ... maybe the wax will work there?
Old 12-31-2004, 05:10 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I tried the black tinted turtle wax and lipstick and it was total waste of time and money. It might be of some use on swirl marks but I don't have any those because I use 3M swirl mark remover.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:18 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 943 Likes on 571 Posts

Bob - 95 993/C2, I used Forever Black on my bumperettes last month. First application ever in 7 years. They look almost like new. Doubt it will last "forever", though.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:49 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

I used this product on a black truck I was turning in at the end of a lease to cover some scratches. In that application, it worked great! As in, no damage charges.....

Jason
Old 12-31-2004, 07:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

If you're down to metal, you might want to order a touch up paint pen from autovisuals.com and take care of it the "right" way instead of hoping that wax is going to form a moisture barrier. Although some here prefer a regular brush and touch up paint, I found that the pen works well for small chips that might otherwise be a pain to do with a brush. For larger chips, I prefer the brush.

Quick Reply: Colored Turtle wax as tempory fix for road rash?