Sponsored by:

Interstate battery venting ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 05:23 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Interstate battery venting ?

Just installed a new Interstate MTP-91 and it appears that the only vent opening is an odd oval shaped outlet that is near the center, top part of the battery. Can anyone chime in here and verify that indeed that is the vent ??? TIA,
Old 12-29-2004, 05:50 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Joel,

That is the vent. They should have provided tubing and an adaptor fitting to connect to your 993's vent line.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:14 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search using interstate and sears. I posted a while back with this same question on my sears battery. Lots of info came up at that time.

Whatever you do, get some sort of venting attached as mine started dripping onto the trunk floor before I noticed it.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your local auto parts store, the batteries are supposed to come with a flexible tube. It just stretches over the oval shaped opening and attaches to your drain line. The guy at Advance auto just gave me one out of the junk box.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike and Kelly are correct. Interstate makes a "vent kit" that consists of a right angle tube that attaches to the battery vent then turns right or left, depending on how you have it oriented, reducing in size and running across the front of the battery to a fitting that joins with the Porsche vent tube. When I bought my car it had an Interstate battery with no vent tube attached, like yours is now. I was able to get that kit from a local independent Merc/BMW/Porsche repair place that sold Interstate. It took several calls to find someone that stocked them.

Incidentally, if you follow the Porsche vent tube to where it attaches to a 90-degreee fitting going through a grommet into the fender area, you'll find if you pull that fitting out of the grommet it's the end of the vent tube. I didn't like it venting into my fender and was concerned if the battery threw up it would eject acid into that area. I attached additional tubing to the other end of that fitting and ran it out the grill in front of the tire at the bottom of the fender.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:02 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

I actually heated the existing vent tube and slowly shaped it to fit the vent on the battery. I know it sounds kind of primitive but I shaped it over an oval piece of metal and it really fits well. I bought the battery from an automotive garage and no vent kit was included.
The following users liked this post:
akashk (04-09-2024)
Old 12-29-2004, 10:05 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with John about the second venting tube. I found the one venting tube I had did not vent properly, could not figure out why not. S installed a second venting tube to provided extra venting. As stated in previous thread referenced, I found the battery mats to be helpful to avoid acid flumes burning / rusting away the paint.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:05 AM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Good suggestions everyone. I ddin't know that that 90 degree fitting vented into the fender ! That's asking for trouble. I'll investigate this weekend. HAPPY NEW YEAR RENNLISTER'S !!!!!

Quick Reply: Interstate battery venting ?