Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM ROAD & RACE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 02:29 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM ROAD & RACE!

I am furious, i bought their pedals because they were a new rennlist sponsor so i wanted to help them out. These pedals have never been properly installed on my car because the plastic piece behind the accelerator pedal does not fit in the ball linkage. This is a known problem and a few of us on this board have experienced this. So i called them up like a week later after my first attempt to installing it and they know of this problem as well so they sent me out a new plastic piece made of different plastic material 2 months later. At this point i was fed up. I tried the new plastic piece months later after i got it (my fault for being fed up for their mistake.) To my surpirse, the new plastic piece didnt work either after trying eveything i could (from heating it up to putting oil.) So i put the pedal to one side until today (exactly 1 year after purchasing them) Yes i know 1 year has passed but it was because of frustration and i didnt want to deal with it. So i called Road & Race today. The guy at Road & Race kindly told me "My friend, 1 year has passed, and the new plastic peice i sent you should have worked out because i tried it." Thats such BS!! It never worked even for another rennlist member when he got his 2nd plastic piece!! He didnt even want to hear the truth.. So i told him to send me another $3 plastic piece if you arent going to refund my money. He said no way and pretty much hung up. I was being extremely nice too. I guess thats what people get for being nice.

Read this post i did one year ago on which pedals to get. If you go to Page 3, another rennlist member having the same problem as i am.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=Road+Race
Total cost for this pedal was $142. They charged me $24 to ship this extremely heavy aluminum pedal 15 miles away!! Soo ridiculous.

To top it off, i just bought a new pedal set from AJ USA for $125 to complete my satisfaction!!!!!! These are the real deal and i was debating whether or not 1 year ago if i should just buy it from AJ usa instead! 1 year later after my mess up, i did.

Total Cost for aluminum pedals: $270 when it should have cost me only $125. What a way to waste my x-mas money to fix my mistake!!
Any suggestions at this point? Just giving people heads up so they wont do the same mistake.

Last edited by Shant Ohannessian; 12-28-2004 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

This is what another rennlist member wrote to me 1 year ago when i had problems with these pedals.

"Shant,

I had the exact same problem with these R&R pedals. Dave sent me a second plastic block because the first one didn't fit. The second one doesn't fit either, for the exact reason you stated. I see several issues with this mounting block:

1) The hole is too small for the diameter of the linkage ball joint. Even if you manage to get it fully bottomed in the hole (a big if) the depth is not sufficient to hold the ball in place. Any movement and it pops out.

2) The plastic is too hard and therefore brittle. I broke the first one trying to get it to "pop" in to place.

I disassembled the linkage and the block to try and put them together on a workbench. I even froze (industrial maintenance trick) the linkage piece to shrink the ball as much as possible.

At this point I am frustrated and left with disassembled pedals. In defense of Road and Race, Dave Buhain has tried to be helpful in resolving this. He told me he has a different design, with softer material, that will be ready very soon, although I have yet to receive it. I don't feel he is ducking the situation at this point. The plastic on the factory pedal is softer (and slotted) to allow it to move when you "pop" the ball into place. Hopefully this new one will work.

Please contact Dave and let him know you have this problem too.

Jason"
Old 12-27-2004, 03:50 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably a) should have dealt with the problem sooner and b) when the originals did not fit hop in your pcar and drive to the store to explain. Why did you not go down there in the first place rather than ship? That is for us guys in fly over counrtry who don't have the luxury of driving to the store! Sorry about your troubles, but like I explain to my kids, EVERTHING that happens to you is your fault.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by GratefulJED
Sorry about your troubles, but like I explain to my kids, EVERTHING that happens to you is your fault.
Does that apply to crappy parenting, too?
Old 12-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

You probably a) should have dealt with the problem sooner and b) when the originals did not fit hop in your pcar and drive to the store to explain. Why did you not go down there in the first place rather than ship? That is for us guys in fly over counrtry who don't have the luxury of driving to the store! Sorry about your troubles, but like I explain to my kids, EVERTHING that happens to you is your fault.
You're absolutely correct, i should have dealt with the problem sooner but was frustraded enough (my fault). If i remember correctly, i actually did want to stop by to pick it up but he said that they only ship it out and cant be picked up. Its been awhile i know. Live and learn i guess.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:40 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hijack there, Mark, but yes I would think it applies. If we all were a little more responsible, the excuse that our upbringing was the reason we are so screwed up would not apply! I thank God for my parents faults, it keeps me from repeating their mistakes.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:25 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

... I thank God for my parents faults, it keeps me from repeating their mistakes.
Eventually, if they ever become true adults, this is the mantra of all childern, even yours
Old 12-27-2004, 07:03 PM
williet1342
Pro

Talking Hey and while we are at it...Let's not forget....

Never buy a p-car from Don Rosen Imports, employer of a CROOK named Bill Rawlings (maybe Bill Raulings) . Merry Christmas Bill. You P.O.S.

Merry Happy!!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Any serious comments or suggestions?
Thanks,
Shant
Old 12-28-2004, 01:37 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"Never buy a p-car from Don Rosen Imports, employer of a CROOK named Bill Rawlings (maybe Bill Raulings) . Merry Christmas Bill. You P.O.S."

is there a story behind this comment?
Old 12-28-2004, 01:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,131 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Shant Ohannessian
Any serious comments or suggestions?
Thanks,
Shant
I think just sharing your experience is very helpful. Maybe someone will buy your pedals at a discount and find a way to make them work...
Old 12-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by williet1342
Never buy a p-car from Don Rosen Imports, employer of a CROOK named Bill Rawlings (maybe Bill Raulings) . Merry Christmas Bill. You P.O.S.

Merry Happy!!!!
That's hilarious
Old 12-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a pretty big problem with MS R&R too. They shipped me the wrong spring plates for my Carrera and this was after I called to verify the ones on eBay were for a G50. Not only were they not for a G50, but the plates and t-bar tubes were mismatched. They were for a late-60's, shorter wheel base 911. Of course, I didn't find this out until I tried to install them, after which they had a few scratches on them, but were still in new condition and the only marks on them would have been covered by the bushings. After a lot of back and forth, they refused to take them back and actually sent them to me again, after refusing my return. Luckily, I paid by credit card and I won the dispute. I still have those plates sitting here in my office and they are useless.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:08 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree Randy. What a crack up!

Hope it wasn't too bad williet1342. Now that is a story I would love to hear. williet1342?

Shant, put 'em in the classifieds. Someone will take them off your hands. Don't let the aggravaton amount to more than the couple of hundred you spent in the process. Too little time and karma/relativity/whatever will work all the other stuff out anyway.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

So let me get this straight. You waited a year to go back to R&R because the pedals wouldn't fit properly. You didn't get the response you wanted to hear, so you are telling us not to buy anything from them? A little harsh, no? I know Dave B. I can assure you he would have rectified the situation rather quickly. I think I will continue to purchase from Dave.

Any chance it was "installer error"? Kinda like the time you were installing your shocks a few years ago? Or perhaps when you were installing your short shift kit?

Quick Reply: DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM ROAD & RACE!